PDA

View Full Version : Where's the best place to buy blanks

Matt Haus
06-01-2009, 9:23 PM
I'm looking for some recommendations for blanks. Looking for good prices with high quality stock. Who do you recommend. I mostly like blanks with 6 inch or greater height for hollow forms. Locally, I have a woodcraft and a Rockler but they want too much for what little they have.

Thanks guys.

Brian McInturff
06-01-2009, 9:29 PM
I've bought a lot of Burl and blanks from Bad Dog Burls www.burlsource.com (http://www.burlsource.com)
Rob Doyle is a great guy to deal with.

Tony Kahn
06-01-2009, 9:30 PM
contact steve wall lumber they will cut if they have the stock to do it with, especially the ambrosia maple, they mill the trees themselves.

walllumber.com

Jeff Nicol
06-02-2009, 6:52 AM
Matt, If you are not to far away from me I can help you out. Send me a PM and let me know.

Jeff

Quinn McCarthy
06-02-2009, 8:38 AM
Matt,

I have gotten a bunch off ebay.

There are 2 people that just deal with turning blanks and a little bit of lumber.

HTH

Quinn

robert hainstock
06-02-2009, 8:55 AM
You might try Bell Forest Products, They support our turning club, and have a decent selection. Eric will treat you fairly.
Bob

Terry Quiram
06-02-2009, 9:06 AM
I have said this before. If you introduce yourself to a person that ownes a tree removal service and tell them you would like some wood for turning you will be up to your ears in wood especially if you make something for them once in a while.

I had a soft Maple removed a couple of years ago. The owner has 2 children. When he was here I gave him 2 tops. That lead to a tour of my shop. He took me to his "dump yard" and said anytime I wanted anything to help myself.

curtis rosche
06-02-2009, 9:13 AM
http://www.turningblanks.net/servlet/StoreFront

also, www.groffslumber.com (http://www.groffslumber.com) they dont show it on their page, but they have tons of burls for very cheep. after talking to the workers, there are quite a few turners out in the west that order crate of burls from them. last time i was there they had a white oak burl that was almost 3ft long and 2ft thick

Matt Haus
06-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Matt, If you are not to far away from me I can help you out. Send me a PM and let me know.

Jeff

Jeff,

I'm the same Matt that purchased the steady from you. I sent you an email. Thanks.

Julian Nicks
06-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Matt,

I'll second the idea of talking to the local tree services. I get logs that I mill from them that would otherwise turn into firewood. You'll be surprised at what you might get for little or no cost.

Matt Haus
06-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Unfortunately, I don't get much of a variety of things in Dallas. I am sick of spalted maple. I've got a garage full of it and I can tell you this, if you can make a hollow form out of punky spalted maple, you have talent. I'd love to have something hard because most of it is the soft silver maple. I've tried pecan and mesquite. Live oak is useless. That's about what I get around here from the tree guys.

Wally Dickerman
06-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Try your local firewood dealer. Their price is by the cord so it's very inexpensive. Here in Az. the local dealer has mesquite, juniper, palo verde, citrus wood and pine. I have a friend in Cal. who gets walnut and sometimes olive at the firewood dealer.

Wally