PDA

View Full Version : Pendant

Greg Ketell
06-01-2009, 5:13 PM
I saw a couple of these posted on another forum so had to try one today. It is 1-1/2" diameter and 3/16" thick. It is made from Honduran Rosewood Burl with mineral oil and buffed.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=119718&stc=1&d=1243890730

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=119719&stc=1&d=1243890730

Thanks for any comments/critiques.
GK

Rusty Smith
06-01-2009, 5:18 PM
Very nice, and now I have another knick-knack that I can make for my girls. Thanks for sharing.

Mike Stephens
06-01-2009, 6:10 PM
Very cool. I too will have to turn some. My wife and daughter would love 1.

Tony Kahn
06-01-2009, 6:52 PM
off center turning with it at an angle in the chuck?
John lucas did some of those a while back, and i keep telling myself i have to try it.

Steve Schlumpf
06-01-2009, 6:59 PM
Greg - looks great! Love the wood! Great form, color and finish! Have to believe these would be huge sellers! Very nice work! Seriously, very nice!

Rob Mathis
06-01-2009, 7:29 PM
Nice!

Not to Hi-Jack your thread.

I was working on turning something similar is size this weekend.

I do not have a chuck and it Didn't go well.

How did you do this and what did you use to hold it?

alex carey
06-01-2009, 8:30 PM
I too would like some sort of tutorial if possible, it looks great by the way.

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2009, 9:20 PM
Great looking piece Greg. Well done.

Brian McInturff
06-01-2009, 9:25 PM
Stunning!! My wife has been begging me to make her some Jewelry. After seeing this and the bracelet posted the other day I guess I don't have a choice. That is some awesome looking Rosewood you have there. Great Job!!

Greg Ketell
06-01-2009, 10:28 PM
OK, this is too much fun. And quick/easy. Here's two more from this evening.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=119749&stc=1&d=1243908834
Again, 1-1/2" diameter but this time the hole is 1/3 from center rather than 1/2 and bigger. Sanded to 2000 then one coat of wax applied and hand rubbed.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=119750&stc=1&d=1243908834
This one is 1-1/2" wide but about 2-1/2" tall. Sanded to 400 and then one coat of Deft gloss spray lacquer.

The 2 minutes instructions. You need a screw chuck of some sort. I used a collet chuck holding a beheaded and shortened #10 screw but you could use a true screw chuck or a piece of wood with a screw through it held in your 4-jaw chuck.

Make a backing board bigger than the biggest pendant you want to make. I used 3/4" plywood. Drill a hole in the center sized to hold the threads of your screw chuck. Decide on how far you want to offset the hole from the center and then drill a second hole in your backing plate at that distance from the center hole.

Attach the backing board using the center hole and turn it "roundish" (otherwise you end up with sore hands when it bites you sometime later). Make sure the screw is somewhat recessed into the backing board.
Use double sided tape to mount your wood blank centered on the backing board. Turn it round and to shape. Sand.

Unscrew your backing plate from the screw chuck and re-attach it using the off-set hole. Drill a hole through the blank and then turn it to shape. Sand.

Remove the pendant from the backing board using a putty knife or pocket knife. Sand the back edges so they aren't sharp.

finish.

Taaa Daaa.
:D

Nathan Hawkes
06-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Greg, beautiful work!!! I have to ask what kind of tape you're using; I've not tried the double sided tape method before, and am leery of doing it for fear of flying wood! Do you apply tailstock pressure first to seat the tape on a smooth blank? Also, do you do anything special to the plywood first to prepare it for the glue fit? Thanks!!!!

John Fricke
06-01-2009, 11:04 PM
sounds so simple even a cave man could do it...........great looking pendents

Jim Kountz
06-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Great idea and yet another fine use of those little scraps that you hate to throw away but dont know what else to do with.

Greg Ketell
06-01-2009, 11:36 PM
The tape is something I got from WoodCraft. They called it "Double face turning tape". You can find it here (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=390). Don't die of shock when you see the price. But it works WONDERS!!

I used the tail stock just until I got the blank round. Once it was round the tape was more than enough. I did nothing to either piece of wood to "prepare" for the tape. Like I said, it works wonderfully!

GK

Greg, beautiful work!!! I have to ask what kind of tape you're using; I've not tried the double sided tape method before, and am leery of doing it for fear of flying wood! Do you apply tailstock pressure first to seat the tape on a smooth blank? Also, do you do anything special to the plywood first to prepare it for the glue fit? Thanks!!!!

Mark Norman
06-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Great post Greg!

I have a few lil pieces of scrap just dying to be adorning a woman's cleavage:D

alex carey
06-02-2009, 5:22 AM
Thanks for the instructions, definitely have to try that.

Jeff Nicol
06-02-2009, 5:57 AM
The tape is something I got from WoodCraft. They called it "Double face turning tape". You can find it here (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=390). Don't die of shock when you see the price. But it works WONDERS!!

I used the tail stock just until I got the blank round. Once it was round the tape was more than enough. I did nothing to either piece of wood to "prepare" for the tape. Like I said, it works wonderfully!

GK
Greg, I buy some tape from my local Menards that is double side for putting carpet down and sometimes I find it hard to get it to release if I put a little to much pressure on it to get it to hold in place. Pretty cheap too, so check out your hardware and other stores in the area and there may be a cheaper option. I think when the put "Turners Tape" on it the price goes up. For small pieces the stuff works great. It is 2" wide so I can cut it down or add more strips for bigger things. I use it a lot on turning lids for jars and boxes to turn the inside.

Good luck to all,

Jeff

Brian George
06-02-2009, 8:48 AM
For what its worth - (40% of a nickel, to quote you, Norm) I use outdoor carpet tape from Menards and it holds great. Just be sure not to oveerlap the tape so holding power is even.

Greg Ketell
06-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Jeff and Brian,

Thank you for that hint. I will definitely keep my eyes out for it next time I am at one of the Borg stores. Unfortunately we don't have a Menard's around here. But I'm sure I can find it elsewhere.

Thanks again!

Billy Tallant
06-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Great looking pendants Greg! I'm new to turning, so you've made realize to always save any little scraps. Sooner or later, something will come up to use the small pieces.:)

Greg Ketell
06-02-2009, 1:49 PM
Very true. Finials, rings, pendants, segmenting... Anything can be reused. Even the sawdust if you cast it into a pen blanks. But boy does it make for a lot of clutter.

GK