PDA

View Full Version : Cordless Circular Saw?

Steven McLeavin
06-01-2009, 4:25 PM
Anybody have experience with the small 6.5" blade cordless circular saws?? They are soo cheap, porter cable has one for $60. I wonder if there is a reason for them being so cheap. I really only use a cir. saw for the occasional cutting of plywood and trimming ends of glued up panels. thanks for any advice

Prashun Patel
06-01-2009, 4:30 PM
They're priced appropriately. They have a specialized use. If yr doing a lot of xcutting of large panels, I can see how it'd be a decent investment. There are good corded panel cutters too that use smaller blades and are easy to use one-handed.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-01-2009, 5:02 PM
Look for a saw that has can use any blade. My Craftsman, while being a OK saw, has to use thier blade. You do get what you pay for.

Or is your question whether or not it's a good saw compared to a corded saw? My .02 on cordless, is it's great, if you do a little planning, charged batteries before you start etc. Not doing a lot of cuts. Nothing heavy. Better than my wormdrive for a few cuts. Nothing compares to a wormdrive though, for power and speed through a 3/4" cabinet grade sheet. A lot of AC saws are rectified down to DC or use a split phase motor. So the current line of 14 volt or bigger batteries, can compete with corded power. IF you're not doing a LOT of cuts.

Best of both worlds is a cordless and a wormdrive.....

Steve Rozmiarek
06-01-2009, 7:47 PM
I've got a Dewalt kinking around my shop. Had it for going on 6ish years, used it maybe 4 or 5 times. There are just usually better tools for the job. It's worth $60 just to have around, but I wouldn't pay more then that for one.

Matt Meiser
06-01-2009, 8:02 PM
I have a Ryobi. Like Steve, mine is rarely used but handy when I do use it. I don't think I've ever used it IN the shop. Mostly a take-with tool for a few cuts, or where I need to use it and a regular saw would be dangerous--for example on a ladder. I don't think it has enough torque to kick back if you tried.

Paul Ryan
06-01-2009, 9:27 PM
I have 1 and only use it when constructing or repair hunting stands. That is become less and less because we are going to portable stands. Other than that I really have never used one. There are other times it could have come in handy but electricity was available so I use the real thing.

Mark Elmer
06-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Hi all,

I have the Ryobi as well and it has been handy when I am doing work on my motorhome. It has been great for cutting panels and light pine lumber.

Greg Hines, MD
06-01-2009, 11:38 PM
I have a Ryobi... I don't think it has enough torque to kick back if you tried.

Very, Very True.

Doc

Karl Brogger
06-01-2009, 11:45 PM
I used to cut mitred toe kicks with a cordless circular saw just because it was so weak. You could cut one side forwards, but the other had to be cut backwards. If it did try to bite too much, it would just stall and stop. Thats the only thing I used one for on a regular basis. The batteries I had for mine have long since passed and I just cut them with on the tablesaw for finished end lefts and use a hand saw for finished end rights. Backing a finished end across the tablesaw to cut the mitre is sketchy at best. I've done it numerous times, but I never stopped getting scared of it, and don't do it too often anymore.

Scott T Smith
06-02-2009, 12:11 AM
I've had a Milwaukee 28V for 3 years, and it has been indispensible here on the farm. It's especially handy when constructing new buildings and you need to saw off some boards up in the air.

It's also handy around the sawmill.

Tom Godley
06-02-2009, 8:51 AM
I have had my 18v Dewalt for about 5 or 6 years now -- it came in a kit. I have not used it very much. It is best cutting smaller items. I would think that a siding guy would find it handy.

When I had a shed installed a few years ago the guys used them to make some final cuts on trim and fit the sections together - I did not have any power back in that location. That is were they excel.

Burt Alcantara
06-02-2009, 9:07 AM
Another Ryobi here. When I need to make just a few cuts on 2X it's great. Great for sizing down sheet goods in a parking lot. Light weight and no cord to hassle with.

But...the battery won't handle a lot of cuts, tears out a lot more then my "big" circ saw, is easily stalled.

For the price and convenience, I find it to be a good value.

Lance Norris
06-02-2009, 10:06 AM
I also have the Ryobi, but use the new Li-ion batteries which are a HUGE improvement. Its a great saw. I use it for cutting boards down to a length that will fit into my Dakotas 6 1/2 foot bed. Simply a great tool, if used within its limitations. I wouldnt want to build a house with it, but for cutting in the parking lot of the lumberyard... priceless.

John Thompson
06-02-2009, 11:46 AM
I have the small Ryobi I purchased for my FIL on sale but.. I used to to cut down a 4 x 8 sheet of 1/4" ply before I was going to give it to him. I only do ply sheets for drawer bottoms and dust shields so I have little need. I liked the fact of no cord on very flexy 1/4" and decided to keep it just for tbat. I purchased another for him.

Not very powerful but handy on 1/4" as I use a Ridgid Fuego (very light.. corded and easy to handle 6 1/2" with plenty of power) outside on sheets when I have the need. In winter I use a PC 15 A circular inside on the few sheets as the dust collection is better suited for inside.

If you do a serious amount of cutting the small cordless at least are not your cup of tea. I have not used a larger cordless version so I cannot comment on them.

Sarge..

Greg Cole
06-02-2009, 2:32 PM
I've had a Milwaukee 28V for 3 years, .
+1 to that. I used my cordless to cut all kinds of trex, PT lumber, initial sheet good break down etc. The v28 version has plenty of power and none of the weight of the tailed worm drive versions. My v28 is nearly as powerful as my Skil #77. Neither are really a "shop tool" but more of a general construction or destrucion tool.
The cheaper panel cutters are exactly that.

Dave Sharpe
06-02-2009, 3:03 PM
I don't know bout y'all, but I've made my old corded saw into a cordless saw several times. Usually with a loud pop and flash! Not much torque afterwards, but it's the quietest saw in my shop:o

Dave

Frank Trinkle
06-03-2009, 9:47 AM
+1 on the Ryobi One Plus cordless unit. Works great and much better than my previous Black & Decker cordless.

Use it to do quick cuts on the fly without having to drag cords around unless needed for deeper cuts.