PDA

View Full Version : Using African Mahogany on my boat

Ben Hatcher
06-01-2009, 9:40 AM
I have a bunch of African mahogany left over from a project. I was looking at the nice wide swim platforms on some of these new ski boats and I wondered if I could use some of my left over African mahogany to build such a platform for my boat. I presume that mahogany would require a bit more protection than the teak platform/ladder that's on it now. I trailer the boat and kept in the garage most of the time, so resistance to submersion and prolonged UV shouldn't be an issue.

Anyone have any tips, suggestions, or warnings?

Prashun Patel
06-01-2009, 9:46 AM
Honduran Mahogany is used as decking material, but it's a different and denser animal than Kaya or African Mahogany; I don't know that Afmahog is an appropriate choice for even moderate water exposure.

Tim Thomas
06-01-2009, 3:55 PM
I was at a wooden boat show recently and got to talk to the owner/builder of this boat. He said that the entire boat is built from african mahogany. I specifically asked him if any parts were made of teak, but he said it was all african mahogany. He also mentioned that it was cold molded using West System epoxy. At that point I was already in over my head with boat terminology, so I just complemented his workmanship and moved on. :)

So, take this post for what you will, because I have no practical experience myself. I just saw a pretty boat and asked the builder what it was made of.

Travis Schafer
06-01-2009, 10:31 PM
I've built a handful of boats using African Mahogany with fantastic results.

Ben Hatcher
06-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Awesome! Thanks guys. You have made my day! I'll try to remember to post a note at the end of the season to let you all know how it held up.

randall rosenthal
06-02-2009, 8:08 PM
works fine...platform is 10 years old....refinished once.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n186/randallro/transom.jpg