PDA

View Full Version : Another vote for the Wolverine setup

Scott Hackler
06-01-2009, 12:06 AM
After researching the heck out of the different options for sharpening, I decided to go with the WoodCraft slow speed grinder and the Wolverine jigs for the tools. I went this way mostly because for what I spent I couldnt even buy the T3 Tormek and besides...Woodcraft had free shipping (57 pounds)!

First impressions: the grinder is really heavy and I was really surprized at the size (larger than my standard bench grinder, by a long shot).
I needed to sharpen my 2 fingernail ground gouges so I ordered the Oneway Wolverine Vari-Grind original version and realized that I would have to have the sharpening jig as well.. so that was bought too. I didnt realize, at first, that you MUST have the basic jig to get started and to be able to sharpen some of the tools.

It took me about an hour to measure and layout the plywood base and spacer for the grinder and the jig bases. I took my time and even mounted the rubber feet to the bottom of my board.

Now to the sharpening. The scrapers, parting tool and regular 3/4" roughing gouge was a snap to sharpen. Next I set up the Vari-Grind and put a fresh edge on both my bowl gouges and man was it easy to get a perfect edge that was really sharp. I did blue the back edge of one of them and know, now, to take it easy and cool it off once in a while in a cup of water.

As far as the skew.. hmmm, well it wasnt working for me because of the shield housing on the grinding wheel was in the way, so I removed the wheel and redrilled the three shield holes so I could rotate the shield back a bit and open up access to the wheel. Works now, although the skew jig might be in order if I ever get really into using it. Right now I use the skew as a very sharp scraper for conturing the tool marks out or the outside of the peices. :)

Overall it is a great setup and I can recommend it whole hardedly. I wish I would have ordered the diamond dresser, but I didnt... yet. After watching the supplied DVD, I can see the value of the dresser, designed for this setup. I guess that its next on the list.

Scott

Scott Conners
06-01-2009, 4:07 AM
Now to the sharpening. The scrapers, parting tool and regular 3/4" roughing gouge was a snap to sharpen. Next I set up the Vari-Grind and put a fresh edge on both my bowl gouges and man was it easy to get a perfect edge that was really sharp. I did blue the back edge of one of them and know, now, to take it easy and cool it off once in a while in a cup of water.

As far as the skew.. hmmm, well it wasnt working for me because of the shield housing on the grinding wheel was in the way, so I removed the wheel and redrilled the three shield holes so I could rotate the shield back a bit and open up access to the wheel. Works now, although the skew jig might be in order if I ever get really into using it. Right now I use the skew as a very sharp scraper for conturing the tool marks out or the outside of the peices. :)

Overall it is a great setup and I can recommend it whole hardedly. I wish I would have ordered the diamond dresser, but I didnt... yet. After watching the supplied DVD, I can see the value of the dresser, designed for this setup. I guess that its next on the list.
Scott
Scott,
If you have modern HSS (high speed steel) turning tools, dipping a hot tool in water can cause stress fractures and lead to premature wear or a broken tool. HSS is designed to cut on machine tools at high speed and temperature, you don't have to worry about bluing the steel, it will hold it's temper up till a dull cherry.

If you do have older carbon steel tools, then avoiding bluing is important and water dipping is ok.

I thought I needed the skew jig, and it does make oval skews easier to sharpen, but now that I've started using a radius edge, I almost never pull it out. I wish I hadn't bought it, perhaps I'll sell it.

I'd also buy Bill Grumbine's diamond dresser instad of the wolverine version, I like the design better, I have issues with flexing with the wolverine version, and getting it clamped in the proper spot is fiddly because it has very little travel.

Ryan Baker
06-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Scott is right. Don't dip your tools in water if they are HSS. If your tools are bluing, ease up on the pressure -- you are pushing too hard. Also, keep the wheels clean to avoid building up heat.

Scott Hackler
06-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Will do. Glad to get that info, thanks.