PDA

View Full Version : Jet JWL-1642EVS2 2HP Motor Problems

Mac Cambra
05-31-2009, 10:52 PM
Well it seems that I have experienced a second motor failure on my Jet 1642 lathe. Basically the fail mode is a terrible scraping sound at low rpm's. The issue is worsened when the motor is under load, or when the belt tension is increased. Sometimes the motor fails to start until I manually "break" it free, and other times it never develops full speed/power, clunking and stalling.

I checked the voltage supplying the tool and the level seems fine.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Like I said this is the second motor that has developed this degraded behavior. The first motor being replaced under warranty only a month or two after purchase, and this second failure a little more than a year after the first failure. I don't use the tool that much and I certainly haven't turned anything anywhere near its capacity.

I am hoping this second failure can be handled under warranty but in the event it isn't I am not sure I would like to drop another $400 on a motor that could fail in relatively short order.

Does anyone know who makes the 3 phase motors Jet uses, and would there be a comparable motor available from a reputable motor supplier like Baldor or similar?

Thanks,

Mac

alex carey
06-01-2009, 2:22 AM
Not really sure what the problem is but I would hope they would replace it again IF it's their fault. I had the same problem with a General International lathe, the motor failed twice and they replaced it twice, third time was the charm.

Harvey Schneider
06-01-2009, 12:31 PM
It sounds like you are having bearing failures. I don't know why you should be having these problems, but one possible cause is excessive tension on the drive belt. It should be just snug enough that it doesn't slip. Too much tension will kill bearings and make the motor run hot.
I have been using my 1632 for about three years now with no problems.

Mac Cambra
06-01-2009, 7:57 PM
I spoke with Jet's technical services and they basically admitted that this failure mode has been a problem in the past and it has since been fixed - they indicated in the last year or so.

They requested some information from me and along with the motor plate once all is received they will send out a new motor. I didn't realize that the warranty for hobbyists is 5 years, and if this is typical of their customer service I will be okay with that.

The first time through I had to go through quite a bit of troubleshooting with the tech guy, it was a pain. I guess at that time it wasn't a known issue.

Anyway if any off you find that your motor is grinding, don't waste warranty time and get it fixed otherwise when the warranty is up it will cost you $400.