PDA

View Full Version : first attempt

David Christopher
05-31-2009, 10:45 PM
I have turned bowls, HFs and some other things that I dont know what to call them...but never a plate/platter....thought I would try one today but didnt want to mess up some nice wood...so I cut a piece of pressure treated 2X12 and went at it....its harder that it looks to keep the bottom flat but with a thompsom 5/8 gouge and some sand paper it came out OK....just needed some practice before starting on good wood....11 inches and sanding sealer..............thanks for looking

Brian McInturff
05-31-2009, 10:54 PM
Hey, that's pretty cool. Make a few more just like them and use them for picnics. Impressive.

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2009, 11:00 PM
David - great looking plate/platter! You scared me with the pressure treated part! Hope you had breathing protection!

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2009, 11:04 PM
David looks good. Really nice grain. Hope you were wearing breathing protection while sanding.

Tony Greenway
05-31-2009, 11:12 PM
Hey Dave, that looks pretty good for a practice piece. I think it's safe to say that the next time you decide to try something new, no practice will be necessary.:)

Richard Madison
05-31-2009, 11:38 PM
Dave, that's a great looking plate! Some people just do not appreciate the beautiful grain structure of exotic New World Zebrano (southern yellow pine). I think you are now ready to turn some of the more ordinary woods from Asia, Africa, and S. America.

sascha gast
06-01-2009, 12:15 AM
you know, I actually really like this.
if I picture a nice set of 12 of these with similar grain, a few large bowls and such, this could make for a really good looking dinner table with some cheese, some nice cold cuts and other delicious things.
sometimes we forget that good old YP, but I would absolutely own a set like this.
now off to Home depot and get me some wood, untreated of course

Mark Norman
06-01-2009, 1:30 AM
^^+1 I'm with Sascha, great looking plate, I could see a set like that being used as everday flatware not so many years ago.

It will need a nice hard finish if yer gonna put it in the dishwasher though.;)

alex carey
06-01-2009, 2:18 AM
Nice plate, I've only made one platter so far and mine didn't go nearly as well. Put a dang hole in the middle while taking it off the lathe.

Toney Robertson
06-01-2009, 6:53 AM
The grain is really nice.

Are you sure it is pressure treated? I know that not all PT is green now days but it sure looks like regular old SYP.

Toney

David Hullum
06-01-2009, 7:13 AM
Ya pressure treated = bad stuff they use bad chemicals in the process.

Mike Golka
06-01-2009, 8:32 AM
Looks good, you may be on to something there. Definately need to use better wood.

Jeff Nicol
06-01-2009, 8:44 AM
I am on the bandwagon with everyone else! The grain is great and the shape simple and useful! Keep at it and we will all have plates!

Jeff

Al Wasser
06-01-2009, 9:52 AM
It looks great but I sure would not eat anything off of it until I did a lot of research on the chemicals used in treating it.

Scott Conners
06-01-2009, 1:49 PM
If that's green pressure treated, definitely definitely don't let it near food. Pressure treated lumber typically has some really nasty stuff in it, often including mercury. My construction crew won't even work with it bare-handed anymore, we use gloves and wash up before eating.

David Christopher
06-01-2009, 6:41 PM
thanks for looking guys, Im not going to use the plate just seeing if I could make one

Brian McInturff
06-01-2009, 6:48 PM
They haven't used Mercury in years. They stopped using Arsenic several years ago. I think copper is the primary ingredient used in pressure treating now.

Jim Kountz
06-01-2009, 7:38 PM
Holy cow whodathunk that PT wood could look so good!!
Nice job!!

Mark Norman
06-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Out here on the left coast the primary wood for construction is doug fir and not SYP but I bet it would give a similar result. Wide grain and soft wood, make it easy to work and give ya a wide contrasting grain like that.

I should stop by a construction site and pick up a few scraps for practicing on dry wood.