PDA

View Full Version : ? for DNA users

Tony Kahn
05-31-2009, 10:05 PM
When using DNA for soaking roughouts, what kind of container do you use for soaking and storage?

Derek Hansen
05-31-2009, 10:09 PM
I just use the $3 orange 5 gallon buckets that Home Depot sells. They have a rubber o-ring in the lid so it makes an air-tight seal.

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2009, 10:57 PM
Tony - because of lot of my forms will not fit in a 5 gallon bucket I follow some advice that Dennis Peacock gave a few years back.

I use a large plastic tub as a base - but it could be anything - even a large cardboard box. Use a large Contractor trash bag (Contractor type because it is real thick plastic) to hold the turning and the DNA. Place some of your wood shavings in the bottom of the tub (box) - enough to cradle the turning. Once you have the turning in the bag and the bag placed within the tub (box) - just place some additional shavings around the outside of the bag and pack it in a little. This keeps all the DNA around the turning! Fill the bag up with DNA so that the turning is totally submersed - you don't need any more than that. Twist the bag closed and secure with a tie-wrap. The concept works for just about any size turning!

The Contractor trash bags are very large - 42 gallon. I cut off a lot of the extra plastic as it is really a lot to try and handle. One plastic bag lasted me an entire year. Next year I did it I turned a winged bowl and found out that plastic bags don't like pointy objects - so be careful with what you place inside the bag!

Scott Hackler
05-31-2009, 11:27 PM
I thought that the Dna would be harmful to plastic (duh) so I bought a new metal 5 gallon bucket and lid. I just removed 3 flowering plum pieces that I soaked for 2 days and it worked very well. I think I could have probally gotten 1 more bowl in there. ( all my turnings, this time, were around 8")
I am interested to see how long the Dna last as it is slowly removed through the saturation of the peices. Hopefull it will last a long time since the 5 gal was $50.

Tony Kahn
06-01-2009, 6:01 AM
i can only get it one gallon sizes at 15 gallon, $75

Darryl Hansen
06-01-2009, 8:18 AM
Try an ice chest cooler. Holds large items and the seal keeps DNA from evaporating.

Bill Bulloch
06-01-2009, 9:07 AM
I use those plastic Storage Containers you get at Big Lot for a couple of bucks. They come in all different sizes; just pick one that will hold the largest item you plan to turn.

curtis rosche
06-01-2009, 9:16 AM
i use a bucket that used to hold chlorine for a pool, it has a well sealed lid

not to steal the thread but ive got a question. i took a peice of wood right out of the DNA and the peice was soaked. i peeled off the bark and there was a puddle of dna on it. being me i tried to light it on fire. but try as i might it wouldnt light on fire. does this mean that after wood had soaked in DNA the bucket of Dna is no longer dangerous? if some one has some spare time, try taking a small paper cup full of used DNA and see if they can get it to light on fire, other that just having the paper of the cup burn

Mike Minto
06-01-2009, 11:40 AM
i use a clear plastic tub, about 5 gal size, i think - but is often too small for some of my forms, as well - may have to try that plastic bag idea. btw, curtis, don't you mean the '9 finger and under club'? i think most of us have 10 fingers - that's normal, eh? :p

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2009, 12:46 PM
I use a plastic 4 gal tote from Wal-Mart.

Jarrod McGehee
06-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I've also got a question. after you take it out of the bath what do you do? ...just to clear up some confusion

Derek Hansen
06-01-2009, 1:02 PM
i use a bucket that used to hold chlorine for a pool, it has a well sealed lid

not to steal the thread but ive got a question. i took a peice of wood right out of the DNA and the peice was soaked. i peeled off the bark and there was a puddle of dna on it. being me i tried to light it on fire. but try as i might it wouldnt light on fire. does this mean that after wood had soaked in DNA the bucket of Dna is no longer dangerous? if some one has some spare time, try taking a small paper cup full of used DNA and see if they can get it to light on fire, other that just having the paper of the cup burn

It is definitely still flammable, however the conditions have to be right for combustion to occur (air/fuel mix). DNA, or even something like diesel will be relatively difficult to ignite at ambient conditions. Gasoline is another story as it is much more volatile and has a higher vapor pressure, ie. the air above a cup of gasoline will have a much higher concentration of flammable molecules than there would be over a cup of DNA. This allows the fire to start - from there the heat will continue to evaporate the remaining liquid gasoline into the air where it will combust.