PDA

View Full Version : Sheet goods storage

Byron Trantham
08-17-2004, 9:59 AM
I plan to buy 7 sheets of 3/4" and 4 sheets of 1/4" cherry veneer plywood for a wall unit. Can plywood sheet goods be stored in a un-conditioned garage? For reasons of cutting, I would like to put them in the garage for processing BUT it may take some time; 2-3 weeks before I finish. As they are processed they will be moved into the house for finish work. I ask because they come from a warehouse that is not conditioned. This is by far, the most expensive material that I have purchased and I don't want to screw them up. :eek:

Jim Becker
08-17-2004, 10:24 AM
Byron, as long as they are not "on the floor" and are properly supported you should be fine. Just bring the sheets you will be working with into the shop a few days before you actually start using them, if at all possible.

Byron Trantham
08-17-2004, 10:41 AM
Byron, as long as they are not "on the floor" and are properly supported you should be fine. Just bring the sheets you will be working with into the shop a few days before you actually start using them, if at all possible.

Thanks Jim. That's exactly what I thought. I think it will be much easier to do them in the garage. :)

Tim Sproul
08-17-2004, 10:57 AM
Store them supported so that they don't bend while being stored. Plywood, if stored bent will eventually take on that shape.

Jamie Buxton
08-17-2004, 11:11 AM
Store them supported so that they don't bend while being stored. Plywood, if stored bent will eventually take on that shape.

I agree with Tim. To store sheets with minimal bend in them, I stand them as close to vertical as possible. If I had a long wall, I'd store them on edge. However, I don't, so I store them on end. When they are eight feet tall and very close to vertical, they pose some threat to fall over. I've got a couple hooks on the wall and a rope I throw around the sheets. The rope doesn't need to be cinched up tight -- just enought to prevent the sheets from tipping over.

Keith Starosta
08-17-2004, 11:56 AM
Byron, where are you getting that cherry ply from?

Keith