PDA

View Full Version : Rewiring a Motor to 230 Volts

David Winer
05-31-2009, 8:20 PM
From various dicussions on this forum I’m convinced it’s better to set up my Powermatic dust collector to a 230 volt machine. I will be using it on the same circuit with only one other machine at a time.

The manual includes a diagram and it refers to another diagram inside the motor housing. I find these two diagrams different and a bit confusing with their references to numbers and colors. The motor diagram is so small that I could not read it well, so I photographed it with a macro lens and then used that image to create a combined diagram in Photoshop (attached). The wire colors match the exposed wires inside the motor cover.

The procedure now seems fairly straight forward, but I hope to hear from some electrics expertise here that my diagram is o.k.

Pete Bradley
05-31-2009, 8:25 PM
The top picture is low voltage. Wire it like the bottom picture and you're done.

There's a lot of misinformation available about single phase motor voltage out there. The motor really doesn't care whether it's wired for 120 or 240, so if you already have a circuit that is sufficient, there's no need to change anything.

Pete

Peter Quinn
05-31-2009, 8:28 PM
Pretty much spelled out there in the fine print. Pull the red and grey wires from their current configuration, connect them with wire nuts, change plugs at the other end, your done. You shouldn't need to change the cord.

PS, I'm not one of the electrical experts, just a dufiss that does his own wiring.

David Winer
05-31-2009, 8:48 PM
Pretty much spelled out there in the fine print. Pull the red and grey wires from their current configuration, connect them with wire nuts, change plugs at the other end, your done. You shouldn't need to change the cord.

PS, I'm not one of the electrical experts, just a dufiss that does his own wiring.
Thanks, Peter. that's the way I see it, but feel more confident with more eyes on the diagram I worked up.