PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley dovetails saw

Gil Knowles
05-31-2009, 7:22 PM
Hi
I was wondering if anyone has used the LV dovetail saw and if so what they thought of it. Also how it compares to other saws for example Adria and LN.

Thanks

Gary Herrmann
05-31-2009, 7:26 PM
I've got that saw. Never used an Adria nor a LN. I do have several vintage Disstons. So this is my first extended experience with an open handled dovetail saw.

The LV starts easily and cuts well. For the price and performance, it's a bargain.

John Keeton
05-31-2009, 7:42 PM
Gil, that was the first dovetail saw for me. I loved the saw, and as Gary said, for the money it is the best out there. I sold mine a week or so ago, only because I bought the Rob Cosman saw. There is a substantial difference in the saws, IMO, but also a substantial difference in money! I wouldn't hesitate to buy the LV - it will do the job.

Tri Hoang
05-31-2009, 9:33 PM
I've got both the LV dovetail and the Adria. The LV is a little lighter but is comfortable. It cuts faster than the Adria and a little longer. The Adria is a bit easier to start. Other than that and the look, I think it's pretty much on similar to the Adria, performance-wise.

Mitch Barker
06-01-2009, 10:12 PM
If so, it works like a dream. This is my first good quality saw, but I noticed a BIG difference from an old hand me down back saw (professionally sharpened), a disston "gents" saw, and a japanese back saw. I have medium to large hands, and it fit my hands perfectly.

I hope LV comes out with a similar model ground for cross cuts.

Mitch