PDA

View Full Version : Cane from QSWO and Ebony

Mike Minto
05-31-2009, 6:57 PM
Here's my first attempt at a cane - turned on the lathe as one piece of QSWO (sorta 'L' shaped, to allow for the handle) and then glued on a feature of Gaboon Ebony. Sanding was kinda difficult, it's not absolutely smooth, but I like it - has a slightly bulbous area about 1/3 down from the handle to grip when not walking. Looks kinda like a duck's bill, to me, the handle does. BLO finish. I'm about 6' 1"; fits me. Just looking forward to the future. Thanks for any comments.

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2009, 8:48 PM
Looks pretty good Mike! I like the idea of the raised area 1/3 down from the handle! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2009, 9:23 PM
Goodl looking cane Mike. Handle looks good.

Jim Kountz
05-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Good job with the cane, hopefully its a long time before you need it though!!

Billy Tallant
05-31-2009, 10:41 PM
That cane looks very good. I especially like that handle design.

Mark Hix
06-01-2009, 8:58 PM
Nice looking cane. I made one and struggled with the handle thru several versions. I like your solution. Do you have any concerns for strength on the end of the handle because of the grain direction?

Mike Minto
06-01-2009, 9:10 PM
Mark, I did wonder about that - I may keep it for myself and that way I won't have to worry about someone else falling because of it - canes are supposed to prevent that, haha. I thought about drilling a hole thru the handle, and filling it with a hardwood rod, as Jim Wester of North Bay Forge does - he recommends anyone making their own handle for an adze blade supplied by him do that - he tells he's never had one fail that he made that way. I don't know that anyone would put that much pressure on the handle of a cane, but you never know.