PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw recommendations

Steve Pennington
05-31-2009, 6:20 PM
I'm looking to get a chainsaw and would like to get your recommendations. I'm looking at the Stihl 290 sawboss and the Husqvarna 455 rancher. Any other recs. Thanks, Steve

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2009, 6:33 PM
Steve - there are lots of options out there when it comes to chainsaws and the decision really depends on what it is you plan on using it for. I chose the Husky 357xp because I wanted a saw that I was not going to outgrow anytime soon. Comes with a 20" bar and is wicked fast! Good luck on your research! Looking forward to seeing photos of what you decide on!

Here is the specs on the Husky 357xp: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/products/xp-saws/357-xp-/

Ronald Fox
05-31-2009, 6:35 PM
I bought the Stihl Farm Boss and have been very happy with it. It replaced a Poulan chain saw that was hard to start and would die within minutes. The Stihl starts the first time and just purrs along. I am very happy with it.

Ron

Mark Norman
05-31-2009, 6:40 PM
I got a 350 with a 20" bar almost ten years ago and it has served me very well. Over the years I have put hundreds of trouble-free hours of cutting even the hardest of woods.

Steve Pennington
05-31-2009, 6:59 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Hoping to get one this week. This would be just for woodturing blanks. Thanks, Steve

jack richington
05-31-2009, 7:00 PM
In my area, pro loggers use Jonsered & Huskies..I do too..bar length is your preference, but remember the longer they are the harder to control and remember where the tip is ALL THE TIME

Richard Madison
05-31-2009, 7:18 PM
Steve,
When evaluating different chainsaw models, consider the weight of the saw. If you are in good shape it may not matter, but --- I wanted a bigger saw than the one I actually chose due to its lighter weight. In hindsight my decision was indeed correct, as I would have been physically unable to use a larger saw for more than a few minutes. The saw I bought has been sufficient, and am physically able to use it long enough to get some useful work done.

Steve Pennington
05-31-2009, 7:33 PM
Richard, what saw did you get and how much did it weigh? The ones that I'm am looking at weigh about 13 pounds. Thanks, Steve

Richard Madison
05-31-2009, 7:39 PM
Steve,
Got an Echo 440CS w/ 18" bar. Would have to go weigh it. Bought the Echo because my 25 year-old Echo trimmer still starts and cuts like it was brand new, and they still use the same engine brand. Not sure about the smaller models available at the box stores, as they had to special order mine. Maybe it is a cut above (as it were) the basic homeowner models.

Richard Madison
05-31-2009, 7:45 PM
Edit, sorta: Also after you have some experience chainsawing, you may want to replace the standard chain with one that lacks the safety/anti-kickback teeth. Others here will know the correct terminology for chain types.

alex carey
05-31-2009, 8:32 PM
I have a Stihl MS 310 with a 24" bar. I don't have to use it a ton but when I do it does the job great. I haven't had any problems with it yet either.

Mark Norman
05-31-2009, 8:43 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Hoping to get one this week. This would be just for woodturing blanks. Thanks, Steve

If thats the case you dont need a large saw. If you are not felling trees and limbing, just cutting say 12" stuff I wood consider an electric chain saw. No messing with pre-mix fuel and such. Just a thought.
That being said, I just finished felling a buckeye with my trusty 350 and I love the reliability of it.

Jeff Dege
05-31-2009, 8:52 PM
I just bought one of those small Homelite electrics, this last weekend. We'd only needed a chainsaw for the occasional household tasks, mostly cutting up fallen treebranches, etc.

I can't speak to its reliability, but it works fine. Cuts cleanly and quickly, within the limits of its short bar, easy to control.

But what really struck me was first, how quiet it was, and second, that since it doesn't spew burnt two-cycle fumes, it was a tool that I could use in the workshop, instead of having to take the work outside.

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2009, 9:21 PM
Stihl 310 with 20" bar. Great saw.

Joe Mioux
05-31-2009, 9:38 PM
I got a couple beavers stretched out and strapped down to some 2x2 oak poles.... you ought to see them light up when I pull their starter cords. :eek:

actually Stihl, Husqa or Jonsarad are all reliable

I have a Stihl, because first it is good, but secondly I bought from a local dealer. If there is a problem they will fix it.... I am not too sure if I would buy a Stihl from one of the Box stores that the local Stihl dealer would fix the one bought from the box store.

I buy all my outdoor power equipment from the same dealer and they service me well when needed.

that might be more important than the brand.

joe

Ryan Baker
06-01-2009, 10:45 PM
If you can stretch the funding, I can't recommend the Stihl 361 highly enough. Great saw. And grab one now, since it is about to be replaced with the 362, which is the EPA-ized version with more weight and less power. The 361 pulls a 20" chain buried in dry elm without even thinking about slowing down. And it's lighter than the Farm Boss. It's a pro saw.

If you don't want to spend that much, something in the MS290/310/390 line will serve you well. The Farm Boss is fine if you can live with a 16" bar. If you want a longer bar (I really like my 20" much better than my 16") more power would help.

Buy a good Stihl or Husky. Don't make the mistake of buying the cheap saws from the box stores -- you will only lose that money when you have to replace it later. The Huskys at the big box are nothing like the good ones. And you can't buy a Stihl from a box store at all -- you have to go to a dealer. Treat your Stihl right and you will have it for life.

jim carter
06-01-2009, 10:59 PM
stihl if you can. lighter weight for the power you get. i have used a husqvarna 141 almost everyday for the last 10 years and still runs great. i got it because it was only $200 dollars at lowes. i have a stihl 075 for the big stuff.

Paul Gallian
06-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Here in the Missouri Ozarks there is a sawmill every mile or so... Mainly Oak, Hickory, Walnut.. and MOST of the loggers use Stihl chainsaws..

I have two Stihls and would not buy anythings else...

Jeff Nicol
06-02-2009, 6:47 AM
I have 2 Stihl saws and have not had any trouble with either and one is 17 years old and I bought it new. The other is the MS 290 which is basiclly the Farm boss with out the name on it. When I bought the saw the standard bar is the 16" but I had them put the 18" on right away and there was no cost difference. You can get a 20" for it too I believe. If you are not going to cut dow 40" dia trees either saw you mention will do everything you want it to. Keep the chains sharp and the air cleaner clean and the carb adjusted and you will cut all day long. As for the professional type non anti-kick back chains, if you are not experienced much with a chain saw they can be a little wicked when limbing, as all it takes is one litte branch to get in the way and the saw will be bucking like carazy! So get yourself some loggers chaps and steel toe boots and the full mesh face shield helmet to protect you from flying debris and bucking saws!

Stay safe,

Jeff

Ronald Fox
06-02-2009, 9:08 AM
The Stihl Farm Boss I bought came with the 20" bar and cost me $385.

Steve Pennington
06-02-2009, 9:39 AM
Guys, thanks for the rec. I'm leaning toward the Stihl now. I just have to find a dealer in Springfield, Missouri where I live. Thanks, Steve

Ryan Baker
06-02-2009, 9:26 PM
The Stihl website can tell you the dealers in your area...

Joe Mioux
06-02-2009, 9:33 PM
If Keith had a $1 for every time Stihl was recommended on SMC.... well... he could probably close up shop and buy a mansion and retire. ;)

Paul Gallian
06-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Steve,

Race Brothers in Springfield... good service and fun store!

That is where I purchased my last saw - Stihl saw !! Very knowledgeable people..

Steve come down to Crane and I will give you some wood to turn.

Paul

Jake Helmboldt
06-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Guys, thanks for the rec. I'm leaning toward the Stihl now. I just have to find a dealer in Springfield, Missouri where I live. Thanks, Steve

Steve, the 290/Farm Boss is a dated saw. Yes, it is a good product, but for the money it isn't a good buy (not new anyway). It is comparably heavy and underpowered and since it is in Stihl's homeowner line it has lower quality materials. The engine cases are actually plastic, not magnesium like better saws and the anti-vibe isn't as good. Odd numbered Stihls are their homeowner saws, the even numbers are the "pro" models with the occaisional oddball like the 361 which is a "pro" saw.

Jonsered is essentially a red Husqvarna and they are also great saws but are primarily sold in the north (not sure where you are). Solo, Dolmar/Makita, Efco also make great saws but are not as well represented in the US market. Local dealer support is a consideration.

If you feel like you want a bigger saw go to Home Despot and check out their used rental saws; they use Makita (which owns Dolmar, the inventor of the chainsaw). The 6401 (?correct model #) gets very good reviews from arborists and HD services the saws after every rental and sells them after a minimal # of hours.

Stihl, as mentioned, isn't available in box stores, nor online due to retailer agreements. As a result they used to be much higher in price than a comparable Husq or other saw. Now however it seems like Husq is following suit. The prices are up and often not available online. A best bet is probably the 353 if you don't need a bigger saw. A little less power than the 290 and much lighter (= better power:weight ratio) with great anti-vibe, it is Husq's smallest pro-level saw. I have the 359 which is one step up and it rocks. I sometimes wish I got the 353 for the lighter weight though. I think the 353 can handle everything you throw at it and then some.

Steve Pennington
06-03-2009, 9:41 AM
Paul, thanks for the offer. I would like to get some wood to practice with.

Jake, thanks for the info on the Stihl line. My head is spinning trying to decipher all the different numbers on the chainsaw websites.

Boy this vortex is strong. Just bought a lathe a few weeks ago, buying more tormek accessories, talon chuck, anchorseal and now a chainsaw.

Mike Spanbauer
06-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Steve,

I was in the same situation, doing research and trying to figure out which saw to get. I opted for the 346xp Husky. It's an all pro build quality unit, BUT it's one of their lightest saws too at juts 11lbs. It's a bugger of a high power unit too w/ a higher rpm capability than other saws and the resulting power boost can be useful.

The best advice I can offer is to check out the arborist forums where the pro's hang out and take a look at their reviews. They use and abuse their saws and weed out the wheat from the chaff quickly. Some of the pro saws don't make the cut, so it's worth looking through their feedback before making a purchase.

mike

Matt Haus
06-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I purchases this one but the one with a manual chain tensioner

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/products/sawing/chainsaws/455-e-series-rancher/

It works well for the occasional tree to put down and splits some pretty big logs in half. I didn't want to shell out the money for a stihl, since i take down a tree once or twice a year.

Paul Gallian
06-03-2009, 2:12 PM
Steve,

Send an email: Plenty of practice or even very good wood.. here

I am here at my place most days --not tuesday (staff meeting day and Hospital rounds)

Sunday morning at Christ Episcopal Church - preaching this Sunday. will be home late afternoon.

Please come and get some wood and look my shop over..
Crane is not far away -- Paul

Steve Pennington
06-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Paul, I sent you an email about possibly coming to see your shop tomorrow or sat. I will call race brothers about the stihl. Thanks, Steve

Joe Scarfo
06-04-2009, 10:32 AM
I picked up a craigs list used elec 4 hp.. I absolutely love it....

Ralph Lindberg
06-04-2009, 10:51 AM
I picked up a craigs list used elec 4 hp.. I absolutely love it....

WOW, a 220V chain saw, didn't know they even existed:rolleyes: (BTW, you do know that a 110V motor, to produce 4 HP would draw 27 amps and have a starting surge somewere around 40 amps)

Richard Madison
06-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Forgot to mention, strongly recommend use of Sta-Bil or other fuel stabilizer in all small engine fuel, all year round. Keeps the gas from turning into goo between jobs. Also use it in my tractor diesel fuel, as the tractor gets infrequent use since we moved here. Helps keep the injectors clean.

scott schmidt grasshopper
06-04-2009, 4:09 PM
I run a stihl 032 ( older saw) it originally came with a 20 in bar. I had them replace that with a 24 inch bar so i dont bend over as much when I am running it, even with a full comp chain ( as many teeth as you can get) it will pull 18 inches of wood at a time no problem. to rip lengthwise you can use the extra bar length. as for chain and bar if you are cutting good wood and clean, chisel teeth are great. if you like to play in the dirt and mud then semichisel or round last longer, learn to sharpen your chain and the saw will do 4 times the work of a dull one and work you alot less, good safety gear is most needed for occasional cutters.
gas, try to find the nonethanol added gas, it prevents the scoring of the rings better( alcohal cleans the cyclinder too well)and stabil is suggested by my sawguy if you dont burn a can O gas often
good luck

Steve Pennington
06-04-2009, 5:48 PM
Thanks, I already have the chaps and will be getting the helmet with faceshield before I do any cutting. Thanks, Everyone, Steve

Mike Meredith
06-18-2009, 2:28 PM
There are Chevy folk and there are Ford folk. There are Stihl folk and there are Husky folk. I got a Stihl 028 Wood Boss 20 inch bar years ago and have never had a bit of trouble. It's easy to work on too since parts do wear out ( chain sprocket, oiler gear, etc).

Richard Madison
06-19-2009, 12:13 AM
And while you are reading this, consider using your Stihl (or whatever brand) mesh faceshield (and safety glasses, of course) when turning some of that "tricky" wood with UFO potential. Better protection than that flimsy plastic shield.

Jon McCoy
06-22-2009, 1:25 PM
I just bought one of those small Homelite electrics, this last weekend. We'd only needed a chainsaw for the occasional household tasks, mostly cutting up fallen treebranches, etc.

I can't speak to its reliability, but it works fine. Cuts cleanly and quickly, within the limits of its short bar, easy to control.

But what really struck me was first, how quiet it was, and second, that since it doesn't spew burnt two-cycle fumes, it was a tool that I could use in the workshop, instead of having to take the work outside.

I got my wife an electric saw called the Alligator (http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=9867) -- looks like an oversize pair of loppers, with an 8" chain in one side. Works great for cutting fallen branches, far safer than a regular chainsaw for small work.

I've picked up several little electric saws at garage sales -- folks say they worked great at first, then with use started cutting much slower. :D They work great for knocking the corners off green blanks. Really lightweight, and not having exhaust fumes indoors is great. But for anything more than cutting off corners, I go outside and make noise.

Also know that safety chaps won't stop an electric chainsaw. A gas saw's sprocket will jam when it ingests the chap fibers, but an electric saw has higher torque and doesn't typically jam in time. Everyone does wear safety chaps, right? (I was shocked when my local saw shop had to special-order safety chaps, as they're not in demand enough to stock).

-jon-

Phil Labowski
06-22-2009, 3:41 PM
my dad has one of those electric ones and he cut down and cut up his oak tree no problem. They are really quite and the thing works like a champ. If you're gonna be around power when you use it you may want to consider one.

Scott Hackler
06-22-2009, 4:16 PM
I just threw down the money for a Husqvarna 353. I have a Craftsman 18" that just wasnt cutting it, literally. It would bog down while cutting, even cross grain. Well that is a problem of the past cause this new Husky is a Monster. I was going to buy the 346 XP, but the salesman said that the extra 600rpm wasnt worth it concidering the 353 was $75 cheaper and other than the rev limiter being set, it was the same saw...so....

I dont have any reference to personal experience to the XP line, but the 353 ripped through a giant green and wet, silver maple log with no problem. Sounds real mean too!

Another case of getting what you pay for.

Nathan Hawkes
06-22-2009, 7:35 PM
WOW, a 220V chain saw, didn't know they even existed:rolleyes: (BTW, you do know that a 110V motor, to produce 4 HP would draw 27 amps and have a starting surge somewere around 40 amps)

I was thinking the same thing....
I did see a YouTube video with an older Stihl electric that the guy in the vid said was 220V (it looked it too--metal body on the saw, and a 48" bar). I have a very large gas saw, with 20,32, and 42" bars on it, but need a decent electric saw. I've looked at all the current Stihl and Husqvarna models, and the best I can find is somewhere between 13-14 amp draw at 110V, unless you want to go with the multi 1000 dollar Logosol that uses 3phase power for slabbing.

Mike Minto
06-22-2009, 8:00 PM
i have a crapsman 16"er and it performs well enough - just well enough. when i bought it i was not into much cutting of logs, just got it because i thought all guys should have a chain saw - which is correct, haha. anyway, it struggles somewhat when i'm sawing thru a large diameter cherry log, say 12" or larger; it gets the job done, but it's an effort on the saw and me, both. fwiw

Steve Pennington
06-23-2009, 9:54 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I'm trying to decide between the Stihl saw boss or the 260. Really don't want to go more than 500 dollars for a saw. Thanks, Steve

robert hainstock
06-23-2009, 10:21 AM
For over twenty years I used a Husky and cut mostly firewood every year. You've gotten some good advice here, and hopefully can make an informed decision. Two years ago I gave my Husky to my son, and converted to an electric. It is a cheapy, that I found at a garage sale, but does what I need it to do aroound my shop. If one has health concerns, I submit that the electric is the way to go. Good luck on your selection. :)
Bob

Scott Hackler
06-23-2009, 9:45 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I'm trying to decide between the Stihl saw boss or the 260. Really don't want to go more than 500 dollars for a saw. Thanks, Steve

Steve, just for point of reference my new Husqvarna 353 was $425 with an extra chain, a 6 pack of mix oil, a gallon of bar oil and a new hat.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Just got done reviving my Crapsman 14 incher. Found a nail or something in a tree. Sheared off a housing bolt. (actually 2, lost one bolt after the one sheared) Had to EZ out the remnant. New chain, couple new bolts.....

So, that being said, I was seriously following this thread. Looking to buy a new Stihl. 18 or 20 incher. Tired of reviving that Craftsman. It has been a great saw though. I'll keep it for teh small stuff.

Top nod?
361?
More than one person mentioned this one.

TIA

Ryan Baker
06-25-2009, 8:27 PM
Just got done reviving my Crapsman 14 incher. Found a nail or something in a tree. Sheared off a housing bolt. (actually 2, lost one bolt after the one sheared) Had to EZ out the remnant. New chain, couple new bolts.....

So, that being said, I was seriously following this thread. Looking to buy a new Stihl. 18 or 20 incher. Tired of reviving that Craftsman. It has been a great saw though. I'll keep it for teh small stuff.

Top nod?
361?
More than one person mentioned this one.

TIA

If the price is not a problem for you, you will love a 361 with a 20" bar. It's lighter and more powerful than the 290/310/390 series. Give it some fresh premium gas and it will run like a champ. But if you are in the market, you might want to grab one soon before it gets replaced by the 362 (the EPA version with more weight/less power).

Steve Pennington
06-27-2009, 1:36 PM
I'm now looking to get a Stihl 260 pro, Husqvarna 346xp or poss the Stihl 310. The Husq is 20 dollars cheaper. They want 499 for the Husq and 519 for the Stihl 260 pro. The 310 with 20 inch bar is 419. Thanks for any insights. This will just be for cutting blanks for my new Jet 1642 lathe, thanks, Steve

Kyle Iwamoto
06-28-2009, 1:53 AM
Well thanks for all the input. Went to the local Stihl dealer, and checked out the saws. The 361 is indeed a VERY nice saw at a nice price. The sales rep said that it's probably more saw than the average homeowner would NEED. It designed to run all day, every day. He did reccomend the 290, the farm boss for 300 bucks less. I also did take a look at the 260, a "small" pro level saw, in between those 2 saws. In price. I "Sthil" can't make up my mind. Not like I have 700 bucks burning a hole in my pocket, but the 361 would sure be a nice buy. I'll have to save some coinage. Or luck out on CL. I could spring for the farm boss. Decisions decisions.....:(