PDA

View Full Version : Mentor (of sorts) request

Jacob Mac
05-31-2009, 5:10 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone in the KC, Lawrence or Topeka area would be willing to show me how to tune planes. I have bought books, watched dvds etc. but have had little luck in getting a couple of my planes up and running. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Jim Koepke
05-31-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone in the KC, Lawrence or Topeka area would be willing to show me how to tune planes. I have bought books, watched dvds etc. but have had little luck in getting a couple of my planes up and running. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Jacob,

If no one in your area responds, we could try to take care of this here in the forum. It would not only be good for you, but may help a lot of others with similar problems.

What planes are giving you trouble would be a good starting point.

The problems would be a natural second place to start.

Also of interest is what sharpening method do you use?

Finally, do you have a way to post pictures? They do help, but we can work around it if you do not have a camera.

jim

Brian Kent
05-31-2009, 11:31 PM
What Jim said.

These folks are my tutors / mentors / shop teachers again and again. They don't make fun of me when I don't get it! I'll even share my ounce of experience and pound of foolishness with you.

Brian

Don C Peterson
06-01-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm in Overland Park, but if you want to make the drive, I could help out a bit.

Don Naples
06-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Jacob:

Woodworking clubs are a good source for hands on demonstrations of many woodworking skills. You can often find a member who has the answer to your questions.

Woodworkers Assoc. Of Topeka
9421 Nw 42nd St.
Silver Lake, KS 66539

Jacob Mac
06-01-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm in Overland Park, but if you want to make the drive, I could help out a bit.
PM sent.

Thanks everyone. I am sure I will have questions, but I just need to get some rudimentary hands on advice right now.

Roy Wall
06-02-2009, 10:22 AM
PM sent.

Thanks everyone. I am sure I will have questions, but I just need to get some rudimentary hands on advice right now.

Jacob, I'm a little farther East in KC (Lee's Summit Area)....and would gladly help out too. I could also meet over at Don Peterson's Place in OP, KS. Don's a terrific Neander and maybe the two of us will have enough sense to help you out:D.

Don -- did you hear I'm inviting myself over..........:o

Don C Peterson
06-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Hey Roy,

The more the merrier... Roy, if you've seen my shop and what a mess it is, and still want to drop by, you're welcome!

Jacob Mac
06-02-2009, 1:04 PM
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to it.

Roy Wall
06-02-2009, 5:09 PM
Hey Roy,

The more the merrier... Roy, if you've seen my shop and what a mess it is, and still want to drop by, you're welcome!

Get the vacuum and brooms out!!:)