PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished something!

Jeff Nicol
05-31-2009, 5:07 PM
Well I finally got some of the things that have been getting moved all over the bench finished! There are 2 bowls and one vase, the vase has lots going on and is a nice shape and size it is made from a burly buggy spalted piece of Hard Maple the NE bowl is spalted American elm. The elm tree was dead for a long time and had no bark left on it and was almost white it was so bleached out. The last one is Mulberry and has some nice color and a few checks that are filled, it has a turned in edge top and a little spalting in the bottom and the sapwood spot. The vase is 11"x6", the NE bowl is 8 3/4"x5" the mulberry is 8 3/4"x4 3/8".

Thanks for looking,

Jeff

alex carey
05-31-2009, 5:12 PM
Nice work, that vase sure does have a ton of stuff going on, I like the shape, accentuates the bottom nicely.

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2009, 5:14 PM
Everything looks great Jeff!

Really like the bark and worm holes on the vase! Sure adds to the character!

Haven't seen the additional rim on a NE before - sure gives it a different look!

Love the form on the Mulberry bowl! Pretty wood - great grain!

Mark Norman
05-31-2009, 5:30 PM
All three are beautiful Jeff!

I really like the vase. I cant wait till I can do work like yours! I love NE bowls and I must agree with Steve, the added rim adds just a little something special to it.

ROY DICK
05-31-2009, 5:39 PM
Jeff,

Those are amazing. You have once again hit the nail on the head with that vase. ( No reference to f**t work intened). :D

Roy

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2009, 5:49 PM
Great looking pieces Jeff. Vase has a lot going on. Really like it.

jack richington
05-31-2009, 6:52 PM
all nice, but the vase shape is grand & different

Jeff Nicol
05-31-2009, 7:26 PM
I have had the vase and the NE bowl on the bench for about 3 weeks and I almost knocked the vase on the floor, so that meant is was time to finish it! The mulberry bowl was from a firewood piece that has been in the shed for about 4 years, I started it yesterday and finished today! It feslt good to get them completed. Now only if that big burly monster would sand itself I would have something! I like the classic look greek style of the vase and have a few more of different woods that I need to finish.

Mark, You will get to where the rest of us are, because you have "Desire" and that is what makes a good creator, such as your "Concrete Goliath" lathe!

Thanks again,

Jeff

Ron Lynch
05-31-2009, 7:50 PM
Really like the NE bowl, almost looks like the NE is crawling out of the rimmed bowl.

Jim Kountz
05-31-2009, 10:40 PM
They all look great Jeff!! Im partial to the NE bowl though!!

Mike Svoma
05-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Jeff, these pieces turned out great. I really like the vase. Is that the same Mulberry piece that was on the lathe under the plastic bag on Friday night?

Jeff Nicol
06-01-2009, 6:21 AM
Jeff, these pieces turned out great. I really like the vase. Is that the same Mulberry piece that was on the lathe under the plastic bag on Friday night?
Mike, Yes it is! I like how it turned out nice shape and bout 3/16" thick walls untill the bottom is about 3/8"

Jeff

Jarrod McGehee
06-01-2009, 1:04 PM
Jeff that stuff looks sweet. I love the HF.