PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals nesting

Michael Weber
05-31-2009, 5:05 PM
Excavator coming tomorrow to fill in my swimming pool and remove a long line of badly overgrown hedge that's full of trees, vines, poison ivy, and other stuff. A real mess and at least 15 feet tall but bare at the bottom. At least one pair of cardinals that brighten my yard are nesting there. Haven't actually seen the nest but the frequency they go to a particular area leads me to believe they are. Don't suppose in the grand scheme of things this will matter but I feel really bad about it :(:(:( No replies necessary, just trying to dissolve some guilt I guess. Won't help them but I plan on putting up a couple of bird houses on the fence that will go in it's place

Jim Becker
06-01-2009, 9:09 AM
Is there any way to delay just the work that affects the hedge or the portion of the hedge where the nest is until the young ones fledge? It's typically not more than a couple weeks for that.

Anthony Anderson
06-01-2009, 9:34 AM
Exactly what I was thinking Jim. That would be very good of you, if you were able to do that Michael. You are correct, in the grand scheme of things it may not matter, but Cardinals are beautiful birds, and as you said, they do brighten your yard, and your day.

Think of it this way, at least you don't live next to someone that has no less than 15 bird feeders in her small back yard, that attracts every kind of bird imaginable, yes, undesired birds too. Think bird droppings everywhere. So be thankful for your Cardinals, I wish they were at my home.

Good Luck, Bill

David G Baker
06-01-2009, 10:52 AM
I had 10 bird feeders up until the price of the seed went sky high and didn't really have that much of a mess from bird droppings but I did have a bunch of unwanted birds. I took the good with the bad because I enjoyed the birds so much.

Carlos Alden
06-01-2009, 10:56 AM
I really miss Cardinals. I grew up in Western New York and wound up living in the west. Kinda replaced by Stellar's Jays, but still, to see that flash of red...

If you can, I'd wait. They must be about done with the bird parenting thing.

Carlos

Andy Bardowell
06-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Excavator coming tomorrow to fill in my swimming pool and remove a long line of badly overgrown hedge that's full of trees, vines, poison ivy, and other stuff. A real mess and at least 15 feet tall but bare at the bottom. At least one pair of cardinals that brighten my yard are nesting there. Haven't actually seen the nest but the frequency they go to a particular area leads me to believe they are. Don't suppose in the grand scheme of things this will matter but I feel really bad about it :(:(:( No replies necessary, just trying to dissolve some guilt I guess. Won't help them but I plan on putting up a couple of bird houses on the fence that will go in it's place

Yes a delay would be ideal as you may have a better chance of them returning next year. Apparently they don’t particularly like houses though check this link.

http://www.feedersandhouses.com/cardinalbirdhouse.html

Try anything that you can to save the situation though, they seem to be rare these days, I haven’t seen one in these parts for about four years.

GERALD HARGROVE
06-01-2009, 11:46 AM
I have a couple right off my deck. The yong ones have grown a lot over the past week, so I do not think it would take too much longer before they are ready to leave the nest. I would try to delay things a week or two to give them a chance.

Mark Hix
06-01-2009, 9:07 PM
If you can't delay, cut it off at the base and stick it in a big pot, maybe they will not notice.

My Saturday and Sunday morning ritual is to watch the feeding and in a very short time, the flight tests.