PDA

View Full Version : Roma Tomato

Kevin Arceneaux
05-31-2009, 2:12 PM
These 2 are from the same bushhttp://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/e4326d9459bddbd9b1e3d623c605aff4b6ad9b63.jpg

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-31-2009, 4:44 PM
Stealth Gloat huh? Us northerners don't even have flowers yet.

Eric Larsen
05-31-2009, 4:52 PM
My romas are still green -- but I am literally buried in zucchini. If anyone wants any free zucchini while they're in Vegas, PM me.

I give it to my neighbors. I give it to the UPS driver, my mail lady. Everyone. And I still have more zucchini than I care to eat.

Joe Pelonio
05-31-2009, 5:16 PM
:eek:I just planted the zuccini and cucs this weekend! The tomatoes have just a few blossoms!

sean m. titmas
05-31-2009, 6:08 PM
the farmers markets are starting to fill up on local grown 'maters, basil and fresh whole milk mozzarella cheese which when tossed with olive oil makes for a delicious summer salad. 4 times last week and im still not tired of it yet.

Sean Troy
05-31-2009, 7:16 PM
the farmers markets are starting to fill up on local grown 'maters, basil and fresh whole milk mozzarella cheese which when tossed with olive oil makes for a delicious summer salad. 4 times last week and im still not tired of it yet.
Oh man does that sound good!!!

David G Baker
05-31-2009, 7:36 PM
When I got up this morning my pole barn was covered with frost and the temp was in the high 20s so no produce in the ground yet but have a few in planters that I take in at nights that have frost warnings.

Mike Henderson
05-31-2009, 8:02 PM
My tomatoes have a way to go before I pick anything. They're doing well, but not close to producing yet.

Mike

Jim Becker
06-01-2009, 9:06 AM
We're not doing Romas this year, but last year, all of ours looked like the smaller one in your picture!

We actually just acquired our tomato plants yesterday and they will get in the ground sometime this week or next weekend, depending on "things"...

Jamie Delker
06-01-2009, 1:11 PM

That's the stuff right there. I like to do a balsamic reduction and drizzle it on as well (or just the vinegar itself if I'm feeling lazy).

I have no room for a garden, so my brother is planting an extra few tomato plants for me. Going to pick some green for homemade fried green tomatoes.

Burt Alcantara
06-01-2009, 3:21 PM
We planted Early Girls and Cherokees. An unexpected frost killed them. Now we've got Brandywine and Celebrity, both are growing very well. Radishes are up as well as mesclun greens. So far, this is looking like a vintage year for growing things.

Joe Mioux
06-01-2009, 4:34 PM
A few years ago, I switched from growing and selling Roma's and La Roma's tomatoes and switched to San Marzano's.

My customers seem to like them very well. They are an heirloom style tomato.

Vegetable plants sales year have been very good.

joe

Jamie Delker
06-02-2009, 2:09 PM
A few years ago, I switched from growing and selling Roma's and La Roma's tomatoes and switched to San Marzano's.

joe

I use canned San Marzanos when making sauce... they have more natural sugar in them than regular romas, it really makes a difference for me. I've never seen them fresh locally though, I'll have to look a little harder this season!

Kevin Arceneaux
06-02-2009, 4:37 PM

joe

We are looking at trying those next year. I also want to try a couple of other type - Black Krim or a another black tomato

Chris Kennedy
06-02-2009, 5:30 PM
My romas are still green -- but I am literally buried in zucchini. If anyone wants any free zucchini while they're in Vegas, PM me.

I give it to my neighbors. I give it to the UPS driver, my mail lady. Everyone. And I still have more zucchini than I care to eat.

Not to hijack the thread, but two stories.

My parents planted zucchini when I was a kid. My dad now offers a service to anyone who plants zucchini -- twice a day, he'll come over and stomp on the plants to try to stem the tide.

We had a family friend from a small, rural farming town in CA. Kind of place where you left your car and house unlocked -- except during zucchini time. If you didn't, you would likely find someone had left you a "gift" of zucchini.

Cheers,

Chris

Eric Larsen
06-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Mine finally ripened.

Just made a salsa from 100% home-grown, vine-ripe roma and cherry tomatoes; home-grown, vine-ripe cerrano, banana and habanero peppers; and some store-bought cilantro, garlic and vidalia onions. (A little oregano, a lot of fresh-toasted cumin).

Best salsa I've ever had. Next year, I may have to grow my own garlic, cilantro and onions.

David G Baker
06-05-2009, 4:19 PM
We are still having frost in Michigan so every plant that I have is now in planters that can easily be covered or moved inside.

sean m. titmas
06-05-2009, 8:44 PM
Just made a salsa from 100% home-grown, vine-ripe roma and cherry tomatoes; home-grown, vine-ripe cerrano, banana and habanero peppers; and some store-bought cilantro, garlic and vidalia onions. (A little oregano, a lot of fresh-toasted cumin).

Best salsa I've ever had. Next year, I may have to grow my own garlic, cilantro and onions.

i made a batch of pico de gallo salsa and used some fire roasted romas as well as raw and the smoky flavor was perfect with the cilantro.