PDA

View Full Version : Would this cabinet be nice in the workshop?

Greg Magone
05-31-2009, 12:09 PM
I have an oak cabinet that I might be getting rid of. First, I thought I'd post it here and see if anyone could think of any good uses in the woodshop?

Would this be something worth having in the woodshop? The cabinet is on wheels, and I could add shelves to it. The cabinet is huge (38Wx22Dx41H). It has wheels.

I am looking to have a classy woodshop with a woodsy feel to it, so a oak cabinet sounds appealing. But I also don't want to clutter it up with things that don't really fit.

Any suggestions as to whether this would be a good addition to the woodshop or just another piece of junk?

harry strasil
05-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Miter saw station with storage under. or a router table

Jim Kountz
05-31-2009, 12:30 PM
Id use it in my shop for sure!! Would make a great rolling storage or bench top tool cart.

Paul Murphy
05-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Sharpening station is another possible use.

Some say in a perfect world many of your machines like the tablesaw or router table would feed at the same height as adjacent machinery and bench surfaces. Your miter saw might share support for boards with a cabinet or bench. I sort of lost this battle long ago, and so only worry about when I make a new shop stand or cabinet. If this is a goal, then odd height cabinets make more sense for isolated and independant purpose. I would for sure look at using that cabinet

Jim Heffner
05-31-2009, 9:05 PM
Sure it would. If you have a benchtop drillpress, this would make an excellant cabinet for it. Mount the drill press to the top, have all kinds of storage underneath in shelves for drill accessories like bits, hole saws, wire brushes, sanding drums and so on! I used a two door metal cabinet
for my drillpress, made a mobile base for it and have lots of storage underneath for all the extra stuff....here is the good thing,I can and do move it around the shop to the place I need the drill rather than taking the work to the drill. If you have long pieces of wood or metal to work on
at times...you will quickly appreciate the ability to move the drill when that need arises. Just something to ponder anyway..........