PDA

View Full Version : drill presses

aurelio alarcon
08-17-2004, 2:50 AM
what are the advantages of a stationary drill press over a bench top model?

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-17-2004, 6:22 AM
The floor models are generally bigger...I don't think I've seen a benchtop bigger than 12". Also, obviously the floor model has more table travel on the post. I've had a Delta 12" benchtop for over 10 years and only remember a couple times when I could've used more table 'height'...but many times when I could've used more 'depth' to the post. The table itself is also bigger on the floor models. Since the big Lowes sale, I now have both.

KC

Bob_Hammond
08-17-2004, 8:26 AM
The benchtops are so heavy that you can't really keep them stored and get them out to use.

The bechtops tend to have not enough stroke (quill travel). You end up spending a lot of time adjusting the table to the exact height in order to get the hole deep enough.

The floor models don't take a lot of floor space anyways, get the floor model.

Bob

Dave Sweeney
08-17-2004, 9:30 AM
Floor models usually have larger motors than benchtops and more speed settings.

Rob Russell
08-17-2004, 10:20 AM
Delta/Rockwell used to make their 14" 5 and 16 speed DP's in both floor and bench models. The only difference was the length of the vertical shaft. That doesn't apepar to be true any more. Jet does still make a herky 14" bench model which is the same head as their 14" floor model.

The real difference comes in mobility. The nice thing about a bench top DP is that you can mount it on a rollaround cabinet and move the DP out of the way if you want. The cabinet is a good woodworking exercise and gives you drawer space for the drill stuff you always need. You can also make the height of the DP what you are comfortable with.

There are mobile bases for floor model DP's, but I'd be careful moving them because the DP is so top-heavy. The advantage of the floor model is that it doesn't take up much space and can easily drill into the ends of table legs and such (on the bench top you need to anchor the DP and rotate the head off to the side).

IMO, the biggest thing to look for on a DP is speed range and quill stroke. I don't think I've ever needed to drill more than a few inches in from the edge of a board/plank. Low speed (200-250 RPM) is important if you are going to run a 2-3" forstner bit in hardwood. High speed (2500-3000 RPM) is important if you want to drill metal.

My first DP is a Penn State import 14" bench top 5-speed. The slowest speed is too fast for the large forstner bits. I picked up a 1960's Clausing floor model at a tag sale for about $100. It does have stepped pulleys at both ends, but the slowest speed is still only 400 RPM. I have a 3-phase motor and VFD for it that will allow me to slow the speed down to 200 RPM with the push of a button (when I get 'round 'tuit in terms of installing the motor/VFD - oneathesedays).

The really nice thing about the Clausing is the stroke. It's 6" which is really nice. I do remember drilling deep holes with the bench model where I'd drill as deep as the drill would go, then have to raise the workpiece up to bury the bit in the hole to get deeper. That's a pain and allows for errors in aligning the workpiece.

Rob

aurelio alarcon
08-18-2004, 2:54 AM
Thanks to all of you guys for your input! I have a Craftsman 12 inch bench top model and wanted to find out on how much I was missing out on. I have mine mounted to a cabinet that I made myself. It is very simple. I made mine just as Rob describes. It has two drawers on the top and two cabinet openings on the bottem and is mobile (haven't made the doors yet or the drawer fronts for that matter). This is where I store drill bits and "C" clamps, etc.. It is very handy. Again, Thanks. I guess my choice wasn't a terrible mistake even though most of you would have recommend a floor base model for it's depth and height capabilities over a bench top model. I could have done worse and bought a 9 inch model.

Travis Johnson
05-18-2006, 6:59 AM
What I did to solve the Drill Press mobility problem was to mount my Floor-Type Drill Press on tracks. Basically I hiltie-gunned 3/4 by 3/4 angle iron to my concrete floor then mounted heavy duty clothes line pulleys to the bottom of my drill press, but on a wider wooden frame for stability. This makes for an excellent rail and wheel combination.

Most of the time my drill press drills smaller stuff, so I keep it tucked in tight to the wall, but when I want to drill something larger or longer, I just pull it out. Because it is on rails, the path is predictable and is effortless to move. No more trying to wheel around a top heavy Drill Press, or getting those caster wheels fetched up on a piece of wood or cullmination of sawdust.

Words cannot convey to you how well this system works.

Bob Noles
05-18-2006, 8:52 AM
Travis,

How about some pics of your set up. Sounds interesting and may give us some ideas/inspiration :)

Travis Johnson
05-18-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm late for an appointment already, but I will try to post a picture as soon as I can. In the meantime you can check out this small picture. You have to scroll down to "small drill press". At the very bottom you can see the tracks hiltie-gunned to the floor.

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Workshop_Tools.html

Frank Fusco
05-19-2006, 10:10 AM
When I bought my Grizzly G7943 I thought I was saving space. But, to think about it, both floor (G7944) and bench models have the same footprint. My choice was a mistake, the floor model is much more versitile and, at least from Grizzly, only costs a few dollars more than the bench. Go for floor model. BTW, I am very satisfied with this item.

Travis Johnson
05-19-2006, 10:32 AM
One of the things I did was to mount a storage bin under my floor model drill press. I already had the storage unit though, so it was more of a recycling thing than purpose built.

For most of my drilling though, I do not need the extra travel from the drill point to the table. Because of this I find the drawer a great place to put my loose twist point drill bits. Under it, in the open shelves I place my boxes of hollow chisel mortising bits, hole saws and long drill bits.

The great part though is how I mounted the box. I used only two bolts, of which they have wing nuts. When I do need to drill something of any depth I simple take off the wing nuts and place the storage unti to the side. Its a simple, quick operation since there are no tools involved.

The one thing though that has not been mentioned however, is the NEED for a floor model drill press if you use a mortising attachment. There just is not enough room to use these rigs with a bench top drill press.

tod evans
05-19-2006, 10:39 AM
what are the advantages of a stationary drill press over a bench top model?

mainly stability and quill length...02 tod

lou sansone
05-19-2006, 12:38 PM
floor models tend to be made a little better than the bench top units ( in general )

lou

Steven Wilson
05-19-2006, 2:52 PM
The stationary drill presses tend to be better made and have larger capacities. Since my shop is in a garage with the typical sloping concrete I tend not to move my drill press. Instead, I have leveling feet at all four corners and have made it a very stable platform. As for storage I build a cabinet that is open in the back and tucks up around the drill press column. See this thread for pictures http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3762&d=1072503285