PDA

View Full Version : Getting centered

Dan Karachio
05-31-2009, 11:38 AM
This may be a dumb question, but the more I do, the more I am finding a need for this. Is there a good tool for finding the center on the end of boards, boards that are NOT square (or round dowels). Of course I have a number of centering rulers, but the lines I draw from those are sometimes off a hair and the result can be extra planing/sanding (on joining pieces with a floating tenon for example). Ideally I would like a tool that lets me find the center on each edge and let me draw a line simultaneously. Has to exist right?

harry strasil
05-31-2009, 12:02 PM
I use a starret small combination square, put a line across square, then draw a 45 line from the edges of that line on both sides, where the lines cross is the center.

a handy little devise you can make with a scrap, two dowels and a nail is a center scribe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/centerscribe.jpg

Tom Schmidt
05-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Lufkin makes a tape measure that does exactly that. You measure the board, and then find that measurement on the other side, which will be exactly half. I lost mine some time back, and haven't gotten a new one, but I really liked it. The Amazon link is below:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=centering+tape+measure&tag=googhydr-20&index=tools&hvadid=2797243041&ref=pd_sl_4mvx94xv4p_e

Dale Lesak
05-31-2009, 12:51 PM
I think all centering tools are made to give you the "exact" center. So when you use a pencil to mark the center you'll be off by the radius of the pencil lead. A marking knife will give you the most exact marking. :)

Jim Heffner
05-31-2009, 8:55 PM
Harry hit it right on the head, a good combination square is your best choice here....works every time. You can spend money and try all type of gadjects and new fangled ideas and still nothing more reliable and dependable than a good combination square...just can't improve on the best! The center finder idea is good and a cheap one too...simpler in this stuff translates to better in the long run.

Myk Rian
05-31-2009, 9:07 PM
Like Harry showed, this works great.