PDA

View Full Version : Cutting plugs: They end up being loose... what am I doing wrong?

Jim Kaczmark
05-31-2009, 8:43 AM
I'm using Leigh Valley dowel, plug & tenon cutters to make plugs for filling recessed holes in stair treads. After cutting the hole and plug, all of my plugs seem too loose in the hole. On the 1-1/4" hole / plug, I have about 1/32" of play between the hole and plug. On the 1" hole / plug, I have about 1/64" of play.

For the 1-1/4" hole I'm using a 1-1/4" plug cutter number 06J30.20, and a 1-1/4" Leigh Valley saw tooth forstner bit number 06J01.20. For the 1" hole I'm using a 1" plug cutter number 06J30.16, and a 1" forstner bit number 06J01.16.

I'm using a drill press and clamping the boards to the drill press table before cutting / drilling. I'm starting / completing the cut gently so as to mimimize heat build up or wandering of the tool bit. Because of the quantity of holes, and because the wood is hickory, I purchased two sets of bits / plug cutters. It did not matter which bit or cutter I used, the results were the same, so I doubt that I have an out of tolerance item on my hand.

This is my first time trying to cut plugs and fill holes & thought the plugs should be tight enough to drive in with a dead blow hammer, & not as loose as i'm experiencing.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim Kaczmark

Joe Scharle
05-31-2009, 8:49 AM
First thought, is runout on your DP.

Richard Wolf
05-31-2009, 8:58 AM
I would suspect that your holes are oversized, not your plugs undersized. I like to use tapered plugs when ever possible. If I have plugs that don't fit, I will mix glue and sawdust, apply it to the side of the plugs and insert. Of course you know the down side, if you are staining, the ring around the plug will be a little more visible, but in most case it is the best solution on hand.

Richard

Doug Shepard
05-31-2009, 10:11 AM
I had a similar problem with a 5/8" plug cutter I bought from LV. I dont know if the LV bits just run undersized or if the cuuter design (with an open side) allows some flex in the cutter while running or what. But I was cutting some abalone discs and needed a very consistent diameter. I was getting quite a bit of variance from 5/8" measuring at different points across the disc with digital calipers. I ended getting better results just using one of the Chinese import ones that everybody sells. It's not often that something from LV disappoints but this is now 2 cases I know of that makes me a bit shy of the LV cutters.

Greg Young
05-31-2009, 1:01 PM
As others are saying - what kind of shape is the drill press in?

Jim Kaczmark
05-31-2009, 1:29 PM
I think it is in very good condition... it is only 1.5 years old, and I havent' noticed any problems with it. It is square to the base along the shank of a drill bit, etc. If there was a wobble in one direction or another, and since the shaft length of the plug cutters were the same, I'd think I'd see similar width gaps when comparing the 1" and 1-1/4" plugs. Instead, the gaps are different.

Jim

Dan Forman
05-31-2009, 4:56 PM
I had a similar problem with a smaller size plug cutter, but since the plugs were tapered, I just applied the smaller end to the belt sander and wore away the narrower portion until they fit.

Dan