PDA

View Full Version : Small olive gloat

Norm Zax
05-31-2009, 5:28 AM
Havent actually turned any (holy) olive yet but I visited my uncle on the weekend. He's a farmer and turns out his neighbor heats his house with a fireplace so every once in a while he goes out and gathers some wood. More than he really needs. We popped by and went to see what he has. He said I could take a few and come back again when they run out on me.
image#1: The right pile is all olive and bone dry. The left pile is a mix of pecan and misc. A third pile (not in the photo) is eucalyptus, mainly splitting.
image#2: the pieces I took (2 olive one pecan, all crotch).
image#3: left piece after splitting with chainsaw

Jeff Nicol
05-31-2009, 7:12 AM
Norm, looks like you will be busy and turning some wonderful wood. Enjoy and keep us up on your projects.

Have a great day!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Congrats Norm on some nice wood. All the olive I have turned has turned really nice. Can't wait to see what you turn out of it.

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Norm - glad to see you located a good source of wood! The Olive sure has some great grain! Have fun turning it! Looking forward to seeing the end results!

alex carey
05-31-2009, 5:06 PM
Looks like a good haul, love that olive.

Richard Madison
05-31-2009, 8:17 PM
That olive is not much good for heating, so you should probably help your uncle's neighbor get that junk olive wood out of his way. Maybe you could just carry it all back to your shop so he would not have to mess with such inferior fuel.

Gary Herrmann
05-31-2009, 9:16 PM
Ooh, nice score.

Christopher Fletcher
06-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Olive is a great find, but the pecan is going to give you a hard time. Literally. It is a very hard wood. I don't really recommend trying to do hollow forms with it unless you want to shorten your gouges. I turned some pecan a while back. The wood was so hard, I assumed it was dry and finish turned it. Much to my surprise it warped along the rim of the bowl.

Jarrod McGehee
06-01-2009, 1:13 PM
I'm jealous. Nice haul

Gary Max
06-01-2009, 1:23 PM
Does UPS have a local shipping drop off ?????