PDA

View Full Version : Help Build This deck pillar

David Schmaus
05-30-2009, 9:43 PM
http://advantagelumber.com/images/ipegallery/big/galBIG2.jpg

I have the PT 4x4s attached to the inside of the outer joist. I want to build a box that will slide over the 4x4 out of 1by lumber. I will be priming and painting the pillars white.

Need some advice on the type of wood to use and help with building details.

Thank you

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Go with more PT and just clad the things. Nail or screw the wood in place caulk the loose looking joints. If you are feeling sexy you can miter the corners otherwise just lap 'em like you were pounding a carry all box together with nails. It is outdoor construction and you are painting it.

Kendall Landry
05-31-2009, 12:44 AM
If the pith of your 4x4 isn't in the middle, it won't dry square. Might bugger it up alittle, might not.

Jason White
05-31-2009, 6:37 AM
Easiest way is probably to use MDO plywood. Build a box with applied PVC trim and moldings (fake panel look). Then paint it and slide it over the posts.

http://advantagelumber.com/images/ipegallery/big/galBIG2.jpg

I have the PT 4x4s attached to the inside of the outer joist. I want to build a box that will slide over the 4x4 out of 1by lumber. I will be priming and painting the pillars white.

Need some advice on the type of wood to use and help with building details.

Thank you

Rick Fisher
05-31-2009, 2:57 PM
You can laminate kiln dried 2x6 or 2x8 KD Spruce for a post like that, as long as you can find something 4 square and free of wain.

Run the whole thing through a planer to flatten and square it up..

Dimensional lumber is dirt cheap right now.

Rich Engelhardt
06-01-2009, 6:54 AM
Hello,
This is more asking than suggesting since I've never used it - but - wouldn't Trex be ideal for this?
It takes paint well (or so it's claimed) & won't ever rot.

Jason White
06-01-2009, 7:07 AM
PVC/AZEK is actually a better choice because the surface is smoother (easier to paint) and it mills more like wood with regular woodworking tools. It's also available in common lumber sizes, where TREX is not.

In fact, if you screw the whole thing together, you can use a PVC filler like Bond-n-Fill (www.bondfill.com) to putty the screw heads and you might not even have to paint because the filler is white in color like the Azek/PVC. You just sand it flush. Be sure to get the "fast cure." You can find this stuff in most professional lumberyards now.

If you wanted to do the whole thing in PVC, get some 5/4 AZEK and resaw into thinner pieces for the "box." Then build the box and "wrap" it with thicker trim pieces.

Jason

Hello,
This is more asking than suggesting since I've never used it - but - wouldn't Trex be ideal for this?
It takes paint well (or so it's claimed) & won't ever rot.

Rick Fisher
06-01-2009, 10:08 AM
I have a Trex deck on my house.. I used some left overs to trim some cedar planter boxes..

I would be very concerned about how much these products move as the temperature changes..

Jim Kountz
06-01-2009, 12:21 PM
MDO and PVC would be how Id do it.

Craig Williams
06-02-2009, 10:28 PM
I just happened to be going through some old magazines and remembered an article about this exact thing. It was in Workbench, June 2004. It was done in cedar. They first clad the post with 3/4 boards using locking rabbits, and leaving 1/8" space on two sides of the post. They added a second layer of 3/4 cedar trim to get the recessed panel look.