PDA

View Full Version : CA glue and turning

Mark Stutz
08-16-2004, 10:37 PM
I have read a lot on this forum about turning spalted wood, and frequently turners talk about using CA to "stabilize" spalted wood. Started roughing out my first good sized (10") bowl from a piece of spalted maple. The spalting is nice, by I'm afraid it is past it's prime! :( It appears that some of the wood is almost crumbling insted of coming off in nice long ribbons like I"ve grown used to.
How and when does one use CA glue in this setting? Any type or brand preferred, or what I get at the BORG? How much to apply? How often? How deep does it penetrate? I guess by now you get the idea...I have no clue what I'm doing with this! Any and all suggestions are appreciated! :D

Tom Hintz
08-17-2004, 5:32 AM
I have used CA glue to "toughen up" overly soft ambrosia maple and had good success with it. I essentially just dab a bunch of the CA on by running it onto the wood directly from the bottle and spreading it with a plastic baggy helf over my finger. The fumes can get a little irritating so have lots of ventilation and be prepared to stop ocasionally to let them dissipate.
It does work though.
As for brands, I have used several but always the thin variety.

Andy London
08-17-2004, 5:43 AM
You can use CA glue, my son and I turn a lot of spalted woods and use a product called Polycryl, I buy it from Lee Valley but am sure Rocklers etc carry it also.

Andy