PDA

View Full Version : shaper cutters

John Teichman
05-30-2009, 9:40 AM
Hi I am looking for info on someone with experience using oellasawandtool cutter head w/ replaceable blades on internet it looks like a good idea w/ bearing and all??

Bill Orbine
05-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Not sure what/which shaper head w/ bearing you are talking about at olleasawandtool website. I use similar corrugated head I've purchased from Charles G. G. Scmidt tools and have a variety of profiles. The head is 1.25" bore and 4" long. This work nice for moldings and such. Just make sure your shaper is up to the task and do it safely.

Peter Quinn
05-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Looks like you are talking about the corrugated back insert knife molding head? We use these at work and have a room with thousands of knives. The same knives work in the multi head through molders and shaper molding heads. We use them for all sorts of moldings and joinery in the cabinet shop, often we run small runs of moldings on a shaper that don't make economic sense to set up on a 6 head molder.

In any event its a solid system available from many sellers. Some offer a catalogue of stock knives, some are made to order, some offer both. Most good tooling shops can make knives to match a profile. We use http://ctsaw.com/, they are local to me and do quality work. Another source is http://www.customouldingknives.com/. There are different grades of steel to match different applications, and carbide tipped is also available, as are carbide insert knives with a corrugated holding plate from Wisconsin Knife Works. HSS is pretty standard and works well for most hard woods.

There is a temptation to buy the biggest head you can spin, like a 4", so it will accept any size of knife. I prefer to run the smallest head to fit the profile, they make them in sizes 1"-6". I don't like running a 1 1/2" knife in a 4" head, I find I use the 2" and 3" heads the most and would probably get a 2" if I were buying only one.

Another good insert head set up is the 40MM systems available from Amana Tool (http://www.amanatool.com/shaper-profilepro.html) , also sold buy CT saw and tool, CMT (http://www.cheyennesales.com/catalog/cmtshapersys.htm) and others. Hundreds of HSS insert knives in many useful stock profiles are available. You are limited to 5/8" depth of cut with these thinner knives versus 3/4" with the 5/16" corrugated back heads, and 40MM works out to just over 1 1/2" height, but the knives are much cheaper and can also be ground to match a pattern from blanks. They are a bit easier to install in the head. Cheyenne Sales caries 50MM knives that work in the 40MM heads for slightly larger profiles, and some common profiles are available in carbide from Amana. Worth a look too.

Peter Quinn
05-30-2009, 11:57 AM
One more thought. If you go with these corrugated heads you should develop a relationship with a good tooling shop, either the one you have listed or another that you choose. I use the Leitz heads listed on that site you posted, they are top notch, as are WKW and Schmidt. There is a specific relationship between the thickness of the steel in the knives and the maximum depth of cut, I don't have this information, but I'm sure the grinder will use the appropriate thickness to match your profiles. Just something to be aware of.

David DeCristoforo
05-30-2009, 12:54 PM
"There is a specific relationship between the thickness of the steel in the knives and the maximum depth of cut..."

For years I have had custom knives ground by Nordic Saw and Tool. But they recently informed me that, under the "new OSHA regulations", they cannot grind any steel knives with a projection of more than "X" times the thickness of the steel. As I recall "X" is five times steel thickness but I could be mistaken on that. But at any rate, there is now a fairly severe limitation on cutter projection for moulding head knives.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-30-2009, 3:16 PM
John, nothing to add except that I think that Oella Saw and Tool seems to be a darn decent company. I bought a pile of used industrial cutters from them, and the owner actually sent me a thank you card. I'd say that goes above and beyond. The cutters have turned out to be a huge bargain as well.

John Teichman
05-31-2009, 9:11 AM
Thank you all for the fast reply that's great. John