PDA

View Full Version : Freedom pen blanks - need help quick!!

Mark Norman
05-30-2009, 12:30 AM
So, I got home to find my new woodturners band saw blades waiting for me tonight so my first order of business is to start cutting up some pen blanks. The blade cuts through the walnut like buttah!

Now the question I have is what to do with them? They are real wet and I just know they will be pretzels in the morning if I don't do something with them right away. The blocks were anchorsealed so many have parafin coating on at least one side, some have two sides coated.

I'm thinking (Please forgive me)......

I could seal em up by dunking em in the anchorseal and spread em out on the bakers rack..

Soak em in DNA for a few days..

Put em in ziplock plastic bags (with or without a bunch of shavings?)

Or I could ask you all...

WHAT DO I DO WITH EM??

Please help me help others support our troops.

I have several I sliced up in about fifteen minutes and will stick em in ziplock bags till You guys tell me otherwise. I don't want to cut up more till I know what I am doing at the risk of wasting some real nice wood.

Mark Norman
05-30-2009, 12:35 AM
I started out with 3/4" by ~6" being the size of choice from my research here and e-bay. Is this an appropriate size?

How big should I be cutting em up? Will 5" work? Should I go with 7/8" because they are so wet?

I need some guidance.

Ron Ainge
05-30-2009, 7:47 AM
I have cut up so may pen blanks that I don't even remember how many. if you are doing slim line pen kits and you are cutting the blanks out of wet wood I would cut them 3/4 X 3/4 X 6 or so inches long and then i would sticker them in a place that they could dry. The only ones that I have had any problems with are the ones that have knots or other defects in the wood and they will twist and turn on you but the others will not move much at all.

David Drickhamer
05-30-2009, 9:33 AM
I'd probably cut them, seal up the ends and let them dry. Even if they do warp and twist they're going to be turned round anyway. 6" is a good length. 3/4" is good for most pens unless your getting into making some of the larger pens.
Dave

Brian George
05-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Over the past six years, have made many pens. Your size is very good. Anchorseal the ends and let 'em dry. Is it OK for vegetarians to eat animal crackers?

Mark Norman
05-30-2009, 1:08 PM
Made lots of blaks last night:D

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/wood/pen%20blanks/100_1925.jpg
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/wood/pen%20blanks/100_1926.jpg
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/wood/pen%20blanks/100_1927.jpg

Dan Forman
05-30-2009, 1:30 PM
I'd do some of the fancier grain in 7/8", that leaves room to true up once dry and end up with 3/4" for larger pens.

Dan

Mark Norman
05-30-2009, 1:43 PM
Well I allready cut up a bunch last night to 3/4 x 6" but I could make larger by request if needed.

These are not for me, I don't turn pens, at least not yet anyway.

Larry Marley
05-30-2009, 2:26 PM
If you are looking for a place to send these:
The Orange County Woodturners Association based in Tustin CA. has produced 12,424 freedom pens, 2,147 so far this year.
On May 15 the students of Lutheran High school in Orange held a turn-a-thon making 152 pens to be sent to our troops. Included with the OCWA pens are several, much more than anyone would wish, purple heart pens that are laser engraved with the name of the wounded solider.

They are always looking for donations and volunteers.
PM me for contact info.

Mark Norman
05-30-2009, 3:23 PM
Thanks Larry,
I have already promised over two hundred to various members here. So many its hard to keep track, my pm box overfloweth:) As soon as I fulfill all the requests I have I'll see about cutting up more as the need arises.

I am certainly behind supporting our troops 100%. My eldest son is in the Army and served a tour of duty in Iraq and is currently stationed at Guantanamo bay.

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2009, 6:47 PM
Mark on green walnut I cut mine 1" X 6". I then let them dry. Works out pretty well. Even if there are slight cracks at 1" they will turn out most of the time.

Mark Norman
05-30-2009, 6:59 PM
Thanks bernie,
I stickerd em this morning to let em air dry after spending the night in a box of shavings from the band saw.

I was a little sloppy while cutting em knowing they will be turned and the dimension of the blanks is not critical. They are all about 3/4" x 6".

This batch is all spoken for but I will be making more:D

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/wood/pen%20blanks/100_1928.jpg