PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Update -- Equipment Moved In

Don Bullock
05-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Well, finally my equipment was moved into my new shop.:D It's in, but not completely set up yet. I'm still figuring out "final" placement and there are no cabinets to store things in. Somehow when I took the pictures I left out one wall where the drill press/mortiser is positioned for now.

The miter saw is the only tool that I've been using. I think it will work out well on the wall with the wood storage. I'll need to make a good bench for it eventually. After putting the Triton wood racks on the wall I realized that there were some plugs in the way of one of them. I need to take it all down and move them up about two inches to clear the plugs. My assembly table/work bench over by the windows is actually a dining room table that I made in 1974. Up until about five years ago it was in our dining room. Since it's made of solid ash the table works out great in the shop. Yes, I know that I need to build a "real" workbench. It's on my list of "must do" projects as are cabinets. I already know what workbench I'll make as well as some cabinets that I need. The table saw is arranged over the floor plug with both 220 and 110 outlets. I'm thinking about setting up the jointer and planer next to it so that I don't have to move my DC, but it doesn't look like that arrangement will work. I really didn't have time to work on the arrangement or to even set up the tools. Perhaps I'll have more time next week.

I decided to use the old icebox that was in my office to store paint and finishes in the new shop. It has the original metal interior.

The shop is already a mess!:eek:

Kendall Landry
05-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Elbow room. I like it Don. Lookin good.

David Christopher
05-29-2009, 10:40 PM
thats going to be a hellof a nice shop

Ken Fitzgerald
05-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Get settled in and get it dirty Don! Congrats!

Jim Kountz
05-30-2009, 12:05 AM
What a great space, well lit and roomy. I have shop envy Don!!

Andy Bardowell
05-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Bright and beautiful, it’s a shop after all, mess it up man!

John Keeton
05-30-2009, 6:22 AM
Great space, well lit, beautiful views, some excellent tools - everything a good shop needs except sawdust and a big pile of cutoffs and scrap! Although, looks like you are working on that.:D Congrats - it has been a long journey.

Don Bullock
05-30-2009, 9:41 AM
Thanks guys. Yes, John it's been a l-o-n-g journey, but I'm sure that it will be worth the work and the wait.

Right now my only projects will be framing a couple of platforms and a set of stairs so my dogs will have access to a couple of dog doors. Since the house is a raised foundation it's a long way down to the ground from their "bedroom" to the ground. After those are done I need to finishing installing the oak baseboard molding in my office and dining room. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll actually be able to get back to the two tables I started last year and perhaps start on some storage for the shop. SWMBO may have different plans, however, because I do need to construct some A & C style room dividers in the house as soon as I can get to them. With a new home projects are endless.

John Keeton
05-30-2009, 10:29 AM
With a new home projects are endless.But exciting nonetheless! And, an opportunity to buy more toys for that new shop.

Sam Layton
05-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Hi Don,

The shop really looks good. I know you will be glad to get everything set up and running. Are you living in the house yet?

Sam

David Hostetler
05-30-2009, 7:17 PM
Looks great to me. If you call that a mess I think my shop would give you a screaming fit...

Jim O'Dell
05-30-2009, 7:39 PM
Congrats Don!! It's good to get that milestone behind you, isn't it? Lots of time to make final placements on the equipment. IIRC, you have a small DC right now? If so it will be easy to move it around to the different tools until you decide on the best set up for the shop. ENJOY! Jim.

Jacob Mac
05-30-2009, 9:34 PM
I fololowed all of your posts about your building your workshop, and it seems like this has been a long time coming. Congratulations, and I hope you get many years of use out of it.

My wife shows Belgian Sheep Dogs, so I can relate to having to accomodate show dogs. I have not had to build a ramp for them to get in and out of the house. But I have built my share of grooming tables etc.

Don Bullock
05-30-2009, 9:46 PM
... Are you living in the house yet?

Sam

Sam, I'm only there several days a week right now. We're getting the new house ready for the dogs and us while we're packing up the "old" house and getting it ready to sell. I'm doing work at both ends each week. My wife retires around the middle of June so we'll actually move after that.

Jim, that DC will have to be it for quite some time. For the near future all available funds will be going into the house, space for the dogs and landscaping. As you know from having so many dogs yourself, it takes a lot to make a place comfortable and safe for them. Added to that is the fact that the area we're moving to has an abundance of coyotes and the possibility of bobcats and mountain lions. Like you said the DC is mobile and I put a quick connection on it and the tools. Fortunately all the tools are on mobile bases as well. That will make it much easier to experiment with tool placement.

John, yes, all the projects are exciting! I'm thrilled with the prospects of the new home and shop/garage.

Ken, Andy and David, I'm not known for being a neat worker, but I'm hoping to be able to improve on my reputation in that area when we move.;):D I do, however, plan to make a lot of sawdust and wood chips in there.

Jim O'Dell
05-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Don, I know what you mean about making the place safe for the dogs. We closed on our current home on May 17, 2004. We moved in the first of July. Wife was not going to walk dogs on a leash, so I had about 200 feet of fence to build. (and we were tapping onto about 80 or so feet of the neighbors fence) I had all my vacation time scheduled at that point, so I would go work on fence after getting off work at the real job at 6:00. Work til about 8:00 or so, and head home to eat and drop into bed.:D And the week before we closed, there was a report of someone in the area with a mountain lion in his backyard. My guess is that it was a Cougar. But guess where that was? Next door!! (the yard I tapped onto the fence) Not that my 6 foot fence would stop a cat that size.
So get the yard and house safe. Then get on to the woodworking! Jim.

John Keeton
05-31-2009, 6:34 AM
Don, I can't speak for mountain lions as they are rare here - some say we don't have them, but several have been seen. I would imagine they are a real problem there.

But, I do know that coyotes present a real danger to small dogs. We lost a beloved schnauzer several years ago. She was attacked two years in a row, and was just too feeble to survive the second one.

Jim, I believe that cougars and mountain lions are the same. Cougars, pumas, panthers, painters, and catamounts are all names referring to the Puma concolor. The name used in various areas seems to be more a colloquial thing.