PDA

View Full Version : OT need good pop up blocker

Dave Brown
08-16-2004, 6:32 PM
The pop ups are a pain. I have spybot, but it does not seek to address the popup, Thanks, Dave

Michael Ballent
08-16-2004, 7:09 PM
http://toolbar.google.com is the one that I use.... pretty good, also turn off the messenger service on your machine Control Panel -> Adminitrative Tools -> Services -> Messenger. Works pretty well for me :D I find that controls about 90-95%

Brian Hale
08-16-2004, 8:19 PM
Yep, the Google toolbar is what i use and it works well....

Brian

Kurt Strandberg
08-17-2004, 5:54 AM
http://www.panicware.com has a free popup stopper.

Todd Burch
08-17-2004, 7:33 AM
I found "Bazooka" a couple months ago. It's not a pop-up blocker, but it does find the spyware, adware and scumware on your PC that CAUSES the pop-ups, and tells you how to remove them.

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=bottomlink

It's free and has worked for me.

Tyler Howell
08-17-2004, 8:57 AM
Zone Alarm, Has been a great all purpose protector for me. You can get a free download.;)

Larry Browning
08-17-2004, 9:12 AM
Give crazy browser a try. It uses IE as it's engine, but overlays the GUI. It has popup blocking, plus many other features in cluding tabed browsing. I have been very happy with it. www.crazybrowser.com

Larry

Jim Becker
08-17-2004, 10:45 AM
Google tool bar for me, too...and it give convenient access to my searches at the same time. Really easy to allow pop-ups on certain sites that require them to operation, too.

Greg Tatum
08-17-2004, 10:57 AM
I use zone alarm with the google toolbar. The combination seems to stop 99% of popups....I'll get the occational pop-under ad though....they work great for what you pay for them....which is nada !!
Greg

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

Dan Mages
08-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Only one problem with the Yahoo and Google tool bars. You lose your pop-ups, but gain spyware. I like the Mozilla browser. It is a derivative of Netscape and has a built in blocker. You can also block images from a specific server. Very handy for filtering ads.

Dan

Matthew Poeller
08-17-2004, 2:02 PM
I was having the same problem and there was no way to stop it. I tried SPYBot adaware and another pay one. None of those worked. It turned out that after I updated Norton it was a trojan virus.

So in short, some pop-ups are built into the website. usatoday and yahoo have them built in as well as others. there is no way to get rid of those except the pop-up blocker. the ones that come up that are annoying though are caused by something, either spyware or a virus. in this case the pop-up blocker is a band-aid for something that is going wrong with your system.

my suggestion is that you get a good virus scanner first. i use norton coperate edition. try to find the virus and if not then run the adaware and spybot. the combination of those three should fix your problem. if you are just concerned with the ones that come up and are built into the websites then the pop-up blocker is your best bet.

Jim Becker
08-17-2004, 2:26 PM
I like the Mozilla browser. It is a derivative of Netscape and has a built in blocker.
Other way around...the Netscape browser was based on an earlier version of Mozilla. The Mozilla browser is nearly ready to go to "GA" 1.0 status and it's a good one. It also has some nice features, such as the tabs, for folks who tend to be visiting multiple sites simultaniously.

Chad Young
08-17-2004, 2:41 PM
If you are using XP they just released service 2 and it has one built in. It also has a firewall built in. I just upgraded so I do now know how good it works yet but so far I like it. If you do upgrade be sure to make sure that all your apps will work with it as quite a few have problems with it(even some Microsoft apps).

Jim Becker
08-17-2004, 3:13 PM
WinXP SP2 is also something that can only be downloaded by folks on high-speed service...it's between 80 and 120mb, depending on your configuration. Dialup users will need to order the CD. But Chad is correct about application compatibility. Check first before you apply this major release "update". (My corporate IT folks have forbidden it for the time being based on application compatibility issues)

Ted Shrader
08-18-2004, 10:42 AM
I switched to Mozilla a couple of months ago from IE. Works great and has some handy features that IE doesn't. Haven't seen a pop-up since.

Ted

Perry Schmidt
08-18-2004, 1:09 PM
I vote for the PopupStopper from www.panicware.com. Been using it a long time, it's free, and I 'switched' to the Yahoo one, and Google one once each...very shortly afterwards went back to PopupStopper. Popup Stopper worked far better, and no additional junk comes w/ it. (I was amazed at how much the yahoo/google ones missed. Don't know if it was intentional or not, but it missed a lot of windows.)

www.panicware.com is pretty good.

Perry