PDA

View Full Version : Drawing Symmetrical Irregular Curves

Jacob Griffith
05-29-2009, 10:09 PM
I would like to put a symmetrical bell shaped curve at the top of a back piece for a hanging wall cabinet. Any suggestions for getting the curve symmetrical? Thanks

Mike Henderson
05-29-2009, 10:16 PM
What I do is draw one side, then use tracing paper to copy that side. Flip the paper over and use carbon paper to transfer the design.

When you draw the one side, make sure you have a line down the center so you can align the other side on that line.

Mike

harry strasil
05-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Draw one side on light cardboard or posterboard till you get what you want, cut it out, then draw around it and flip it over to draw around the other side.

harry strasil
05-29-2009, 10:20 PM
then save it for the next time it might work, that's why at the end of the year I go around and ask for all the old desk calendars that lay on desk tops for people to write on. the cardboard backing is excellent, as well as old political posters

Glen Blanchard
05-29-2009, 10:27 PM
I do something similar. I make one side of the curve with MDF and then take it to a another piece of MDF that exactly duplicates the dimensions of the finished piece. I route that one side with a flush trim bit, flip the MDF pattern and route the other half. This larger MDF piece is then used as a template for my finished piece.

Hope that makes sense.

george wilson
05-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Dollar Tree stores sell poster board like sheets of heavy paper for $1.00,rather than the several dollars others sell it for.

John Keeton
05-30-2009, 6:29 AM
Jacob, in the event your question relates to the actual shape of the curve, a bell shape is much like an ogee, with two opposing radius. I would use a couple of paint cans (same or different sizes) to lay out the two curves, making them intersect at the tangent point. Did any of that make sense?

Larry Edgerton
05-30-2009, 7:19 AM
I read it a John has suggested, that you are looking at how to draw opposing curves that blend well?

Anyway, one of the ways I do it that is simple is to draw two circles that end where I want them with a compass, and then I use a small piece of flat spring stock [gunsmithing] to fair out the curves. I hold the spring firmly in both hands and bend it in two directions so that it blends with the curves and have someone lightly trace in between where the spring outlines the transition. You can do it with a strip of straight grain wood as well.

Or I just freehand it....

Joe Scharle
05-30-2009, 8:03 AM
I draw 1/2 of my design on a sheet of paper, fold in half, and cut both sides together. Photo glue to some thin stock, then cut & smooth the template.

David G Baker
05-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Does anyone use a French Curve or the metal thingy that you can bend and shape to any form you want prior to making a drawing? I also do the drawing with a graphic program, size it to my need then print it on paper that is the peel and stick type. I use this method most of the time when I am working on metal.

Jacob Griffith
05-30-2009, 4:04 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I have some new things new to try. I guess it was sort of a two sided question. I've had some luck getting one side done with a set of french curves, but definitely not getting the other side symmetrical.

Regardless John and Larry, I also have methods other than the french curves to try now. Thanks.

Larry Rasmussen
05-30-2009, 5:25 PM
I can't visualize a piece that well by just drawing half. I draw the whole thing then fold and cut one of the halves to make sure there is no variation in the final curve.
Good Luck,
Larry R- Seattle