PDA

View Full Version : Carving Saw Handles & Plane Totes

Peter Bell
05-29-2009, 7:17 PM
I am not sure if this should be here or in the hand Tools section, but I think you guys might give another perspective.

I am interested in making hand tools and have ordered a lot of brass back and about 2.4 meters ( that's about 7 feet ) in your money of saw steel from the US. I use different files and rasps and a scroll saw and band saw to cut out the rough shape.

As you can never have enough tools in your quiver when you attack a bit of wood, I was wondering if you could see a place for some carving knives or gouges especially in the areas where you might like to fancy up a handle with some wheat markings and defining some fancy lamb's tongue shape that is too small for a larger file and where some intricate design is needed.

If so, what tools would you suggest so I could experiment. Even though I am in Australia I will have no trouble getting the knives, files or gouges necessary from a Woodcraft store.

Peter

Robert Rozaieski
05-29-2009, 9:41 PM
Wheat carvings can be donw with a single chip carving knife. For doing lambs tongues on saw handles, I just use a regular bench chisel.

Jim Paulson
05-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Hi Peter,

Bob's suggestion is a good one about using a chip carving knife. As someone who has done a fair amount of chip carving, I recommend you try out the knife and the technique in some pine or lime wood (basswood o
r linden). You also have to stick with woods that are suitable for knife carving. I've carved wheat on cherry handles and I think it should be okay with other fruitwoods.
If you go for harder woods, chisels would be preferable.

Take care,
Jim