PDA

View Full Version : A little over a month with the Central Machinery #34706.

David Hostetler
05-29-2009, 5:26 PM
It's been in my shop a little over a month now... And I have been using the snot out of the thing to learn on. A couple of observations I have about this tool for other folks that might consider it...

#1. While not comparing them physically side by side, I can say that seeing my lathe, and then a Jet JWL 1236, it is scary how nearly identical, the good, the bad, and the ugly they are...

#2. I really like the switch location on the headstock instead of the leg on the Jet. Much easier to get to than having to stoop down to get to it.

#3. The hard plastic hand wheel on the tail stock bothers me. I'm sure it will hold up fine, but the concept bugs me, a LOT... I have seen a few of these lathes with at least 10 years I am guessing on them, of fairly regular use, and they hold up fine. It's just a concept thing... The Jet I believe has the same plastic handwheel...

#4. Just like the Jet, the headstock is a PITA to keep centers aligned on. I quickly found and used the article on Newwoodworker.com regarding aligning lathe centers. From my discussions with folks, and research it appears this is an inherent problem with rotating head stock lathes, not the HF version of it. The article is here... http://www.newwoodworker.com/turning/alignpnts.html

#5. Unlike my HF bandsaw that wouldn't run smoothly until I chucked the OE belt and replaced it with a link belt, the lathe runs smooth as silk.

#6. Keep the allen wrenches, and spanners close by. While much of this lathe is factory assembled. They seem to forget to tighten some things down. Reports are the Jet is the same way.

#7. To be blunt. I am not crazy about the tool rest setup. This again, is a copy of what Jet set up, and I am just not crazy about it...

#8. The fit and finish on the Central Machinery is fair. Not great, not horrid. The fit and finish on the Jet is good. Not fantastic, but good... Honestly I much prefer the white color of the Jet...

Now for the big question... Is the Harbor Freight knockoff worth looking into?

From what I can tell, the castings, and MOST but not all major components are shared between the two. The changes appear to be cosmetic in nature, and an owner TRULY interested in correcting the cosmetic issues can do so with some sanding, painting and polishing. Some owners claim tha the Harbor Freight model uses a more flimsy leg assembly, which may be true, I didn't really notice any appreciable difference. Certainly not ~$450.00 worth... Anyway, an owner would most likely want to eventually build a proper weighted cabinet for this lathe to keep it from dancing across the shop floor...

Current pricing for these lathes is $799.00 for the Jet (Woodcraft), and $249.00 for the Central Machinery (Harbor Freight). The HF frequently goes on sale, and a sale combined with their frequent 20% off discount coupons can add up to a tremendous savings. I purchased mine on a $219.00 sale with 20% off coupon making the total cost of $175.20 + tax.

Those that warned me were right. The lathe is the cheap part, especially when you consider what you pay for an HF lathe...

Can't wait to get home to start turning yet another spindle...

David Walser
05-29-2009, 6:10 PM
With regards to a couple of your points:

"#4. Just like the Jet, the headstock is a PITA to keep centers aligned on...." I found a Morse Taper alignment tool -- a straight bar with a #2 taper on both ends -- that makes getting the headstock and tailstock realigned much easier. (I thought I'd bought it at CSUSA, but I could not find it on their website just now.) I think it's a must have tool for any lathe that has a pivoting headstock. Me, I keep my lathe's headstock locked down tight. It's seen it's last pivot.

"#7. To be blunt. I am not crazy about the tool rest setup." The tool rest/banjo set up has an articulated arm to allow for outboard turning when the headstock is pivoted. I've pulled that arm out of the banjo and just use the banjo and the tool rest. The tool rest is now very solid. The post on the tool rest is long enough that allows the tool rest to be set at a little above center. I could imagine some operations where the tool rest cannot be set high enough without adding the arm back on, but that's not been a problem for me.

I've had my HF lathe since late 2002. It serves as my buffing station and is my back up lathe whenever my Woodfast is otherwise occupied. I got mine for less than $120 on sale and it's never given me a problem. There are far better lathes on the market. For the money, I've had good value from mine.

Joshua Dinerstein
05-29-2009, 6:35 PM
I found a Morse Taper alignment tool -- a straight bar with a #2 taper on both ends -- that makes getting the headstock and tailstock realigned much easier. (I thought I'd bought it at CSUSA, but I could not find it on their website just now.)
I have seen these on the Teknatool website. $17.99 on their online ordering page.

Joshua

David Hostetler
05-29-2009, 7:20 PM
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=lathes-acc-mrstool
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/113124-img.jpg

You guys mean something like this?

David Walser
05-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. It makes aligning the headstock easy.