PDA

View Full Version : Spalted logs + newbie = questions

Keith Albertson
05-29-2009, 5:20 PM
I fell into this vortex thing deep and fast.......so I asked around at work if anyone had any fresh cut trees in their yard (seeing as how I've turned all of maybe 3 things from kiln dried wood I need to expand my horizons!!). A colleague said she had some trees cut down a month ago and I was welcome to anything I wanted.

Well, she had a pile of 12 inch logs, black on one face, but the other side was nicely spalted. I think it is beech, judging from the bark and the fact that there were several other beeches in the area. Now I am the proud own of two 18 inch long x 12 inch logs with the opportunity for several more.

Here's my conundrum - what the heck do I do with it??

How do I know how far the spalting goes? Should I just cut it up into reasonable chunks and see? One of the logs is a crotch. Any special way I should cut this? Do I run down to woodcraft for some anchorseal right away?

I only have a small battery operated chain saw (Riobi) and there is no way the wife will allow a big chain saw purchase just now. I do own a band saw, a table saw, and other standard shop equipment.

Also got several cedar logs. Should I anchorseal these? Everything is wet.......with wet bark falling off......

Thanks for the advice!!

Keith

John Fricke
05-29-2009, 6:21 PM
Welcome to the Vortex Keith.
I believe Beech spalts and decays rather rapidly so I wouldn't let it sit around too long or it will go punky on you. The way I process a log that I plan to turn immediately is as follows.
1. Cut to approximately same length as diameter. (make sure you cut away any existing checks and cracks first)
2. Examine grain pattern on end of log. When you slice the log lengthways, you want the rings to be as concentric as possible ) see drawing)
3. Turn or seal immediately.
Sources for a chainsaw.....neighbors, friends, co-workers, rental shop.