PDA

View Full Version : General Maxi-lathe VS question

Brian MacDonald
05-29-2009, 4:59 PM
Hi, I just purchased a General Maxi-Lathe VS. It comes standard with a cast 6" tool rest. I purchased an aftermarket toolrest set (I believe it's probably from PSI) and they must have been designed for a 10" mini, as the post is too short for the General's 12" swing.

Does anyone have a source for aftermarket rests for this lathe? No luck on Google.

Thanks,

Brian

John Fricke
05-29-2009, 5:14 PM
A lot of people make their own or get them made at a welding shop. Using round tool steel to slide your cutting tools on is nicer than the boughten cast iron ones.

Greg Bender
05-29-2009, 5:17 PM
Brian,
Congrats on the new lathe,check out Packard Woodworks and Craft Supplies,The Woodturning Catalog.They both have a great selection to choose from.If you know someone who has a welder you can make alot of what you need yourself.Get a piece of 1 inch OD bar stock and go to town.Good Luck,
Greg

David Walser
05-29-2009, 6:14 PM
Brian,

There are lots of after market tool rests available. You just need to know your swing and the diameter of the post on your tool rest. Here's a link to Craft Supplies USA's page: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Tool_Rests?Args=

Of the ones listed, the first I'd look at is the Robust Comfort Tool Rest.

Good luck!

Mike Lipke
05-29-2009, 6:48 PM
those who have the ones from Robust Lathes love them due to the 1/4 hardened steel bar right where the gouge meets the rest. Google them.
They have lots of different varieties, and they are reasonable.

Bernie Weishapl
05-29-2009, 9:35 PM
+1 for the Robust tool rests. I love mine.

Gordon Seto
05-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Ditto on the Robust tool rest.

Brian MacDonald
06-06-2009, 1:48 PM
Sorry for the delay in answering. I appreciate the info, Robust seems the way to go.

Thanks!