PDA

View Full Version : Longest Lasting Washing Machines?

Brian Kent
05-29-2009, 3:22 PM
I can't buy any tools now because the washing machine just died. Same price to fix or replace.

Who has a washing machine that has lasted forever and what kind is it?

Brian

Scott T Smith
05-29-2009, 3:27 PM
My brother has a gasoline operated Maytag that dates back to the 30's.... but I'm not sure that it's very technologically current...

Check out your local laundromats and see what they use. These are typically a good balance between cost and low maintenance. It's hard to go wrong with Sears Kenmore products though. Another option is to speak with your local repair centers and ask them when machines that they rarely have to work on.

Front loaders use less water and in general are supposed to do a more thorough job cleaning clothes.

Eric Roberge
05-29-2009, 3:31 PM
+1 for Kenmore
Most CR reports that I read has them as the most reliable overall.
I love all my Kenmore products.

E-

glenn bradley
05-29-2009, 3:33 PM
My ex-wife still runs the Maytags we inherited from my aunt when we married. Don't know how old they were but they are still running 32 years later and have been moved from house to house I forget how many times. Minor repairs like agitator dogs for the washer ($18) and a belt for the dryer. I guess those repairmen really are bored(?). I currently run a Kenmore (Maytag) set that is the same as LOML runs at here house. No problems other than normal maintenance.

Nate Carey
05-29-2009, 3:42 PM
...when our Maytag crapped out several years ago, my wife and I looked long and hard for a "better" machine, and I think we found it. Fisher & Paykel...
http://www.fisherpaykel.com/ ...Brian, check them out, I think you'll like what you see...Nate

Eric DeSilva
05-29-2009, 3:48 PM
Last one I bought was a Miele. They don't get much press over here, but are all over the place in Europe. Very well regarded.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-29-2009, 3:48 PM
I had two Sears Kenmore machines that were bullet proof (no on board electronics).
They occasionally tore cloths and used lots of water, and in spin cycle would wander about the house like a drunk looking for a dust bunny but, they were bullet proof.

I took the transmission out of my last Sears machine. Heavy cast parts cast iron gears the transmission component parts were really heavy duty.
I still have it. I keep telling myself that I am going to build it into some machine some day. The only Idea I've has so far is to drive an old antique 5' bucking saw after I file it to rip to re-saw lumber. I didn't like that idea.
IT can rotate a shaft back and forth like who-done-it.

I think the real thing with how long a machine lasts these days is the computers they pout in them all. The lower cost equipment will have the absolute worse electronics.

Get a Meile or a Bosh for higher quality electronics.

I've replaced the last sears machines with Bosch. So far I'm impressed.

I'll be sure and raise a stink if the snazzy high priced machine screws up.

Rod Sheridan
05-29-2009, 3:49 PM
Second vote for Miel, not to mention how quiet they are.

It just struck me, miel is french for honey, odd.......Rod.

Eric Larsen
05-29-2009, 3:56 PM
Don't base your decision on a washer that was quality-built 20 years ago. It may not be quality anymore.

I'm in the same boat, and I'm going to go with either a Miele, a Wascomat commercial washer, or the LG* steam washer (I like the technology, but I still have doubts about reliability.)

* I mean, really. Who names their company "Lucky Goldstar?" That sounds like a character from a very bad western.

AL Ursich
05-29-2009, 4:19 PM
:rolleyes:There is a device in most washing machines called a WIG WAG.... It is a piece of metal that looks like a Boomerang with 2 electrical solenoids on the tips. When the machine is operating and goes in to spin mode one solenoid is energized. When in Wash or Agitate the other is energized.

The problem is that through the Boomerang is a hole and 3 wires go through the hole a common wire and one each for the solenoids.

Because this WIG WAG is in constant motion over the years the wires break at the piece of black electrical tape holding them together.

Replacing all 3 wires with a VERY FINE stranded wire like LAMP CORD wire fixes the problem....

Make this repair at your OWN RISK..... There might also be a part number for the Wire Harness too....

Good Luck....

SO NO SPIN or NO Agitate.... Look at the WIG WAG....

AL:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wig_wag_(washing_machines)

Newer than 1986 disreguard....

The wig-wag is the common name for the unusual solenoid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid) mechanism used in belt-drive washing machines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing_machines) made by Whirlpool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlpool_Corporation), Kenmore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenmore) (manufactured by Whirlpool) and many others, from approximately 1950 to 1986.

[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wig_wag_(washing_machines)&action=edit&section=1)] Operation

The wig-wag is mounted atop the washing machine's transmission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_(mechanics)), where it oscillates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillates) back and forth like a railroad signaling wig-wag (hence the name). When either solenoid is engaged, a rod catches and engages the transmission in the desired mode.
One of the wig-wag's solenoids is turned on to engage agitation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agitator_(device)) during wash mode; the other solenoid is turned on to engage the spin-dry mode. The motor must be turned on before the solenoids are powered. Only one solenoid may be operated at a time. When neither solenoid is engaged, the transmission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_(mechanics)) is in neutral and only the pump is operating to drain water out of the tub.
During a normal cycle, most Whirlpool-built wig-wag equipped washers will fill, start the motor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_motor), then engage the wash solenoid. Upon completion of the wash mode, the wash (agitate) solenoid will be turned off, which will allow the pump (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump) to drain the tub. After a minute or two, the timer will then engage the spin wig-wag which will cause the rotation of the tub. This is in contrast to most other top-load washing machines which start spinning and draining simultaneously.

[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wig_wag_(washing_machines)&action=edit&section=2)] Problems with the wig-wag mechanism

There are two common failures with the wig-wag mechanism. The first is that a solenoid tends to jam, often due to corrosion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosion) from operating in a damp environment. The second common failure is peculiar to the wig-wag - since the wires which operate the solenoids are constantly being flexed by the motion of the wig-wag, they tend to break causing the wash or spin cycle not to engage.

David G Baker
05-29-2009, 4:42 PM
If I recall correctly most of the major brand name washers and dryers are made by the same company. Like Eric wrote you can not go by the familiar brand names of yesterday. I was a major Maytag supporter because of the ease of repairing them, parts availability and long life. In my experience over the past 15 years or so this is no longer true.
Prior to my purchasing any major appliance I check on Epinions dot com to see what is written about the appliance, ask on SMC and do a Consumers Report search, this usually gets me in the ball park.
Looks like Kenmore seems to be popular, I have never owned one so I can't comment.

John Fricke
05-29-2009, 5:05 PM
I vote -1 on Kenmore Front load.......Ours lasted about 6 years and the whole thing came unglued on the inside. Had a local independent repairman out and his reccomendation was to junk it. He was very negative on any front loaders as far as longevity. He says their is too much strain on the bearing assembly. We went back to a plain jane (moderators that is not a slam on women) top loader with no fancy electronics. My wife likes it just fine.

Paul Ryan
05-29-2009, 5:27 PM
Careful with the front load machines. I have a friend that is a apliance repair man, he has been at it for 32 years. He adivses not to buy the front loaders unless you are really a "tree hugger". Yes they use slightly less water, but they are prone to more failures then the tried and true top loads. The front load has been around for as long as the top load but they are all the rage now because they have a window on them. Most of the older front loads didn't have a window. Who sits and watches their cloths being washed.
I bought an Amana comercial machine 8 years ago per his advice. It has a longer agitation stroke than most so the stress on the internals isn't as high, and it has a stanless steel drum, instead of the porcelan most commonly used. So far I have done zero repairs to it in 8 years(knock on wood), and that is pretty good considering most machines now days arn't built like they use to be.

John Shuk
05-29-2009, 5:58 PM
Not the Whirlpool calypso or as some online forum members call it the collapso. Just replaced it after 3 1/2 years. The whirlpool tech said "I can probably get it going again but you are looking at nearly $500 and it is going to happen again." Goodbye Whirlpool I hope GE works better for me.

Brian Kent
05-29-2009, 6:42 PM
I took a depressing look at Lowes and Best Buy today. The repairman recommended Whirlpool, which has purchased Maytag. My 6 year old Maytag (top of the line) top loader looks more solid than any of these. That's the one where I have had 3 major repairs.

The Best Buy lady recommended front-loading LG with the computer panel controls. The Lowes lady recommended Maytag Centennial since the label says they have "MCT - Maytag Commercial Technology" parts.

I think I'll just get any old thing and consider it a $100 / year rental.

But I will check out all of your recommendations!

Brian

Brian Kent
05-29-2009, 6:47 PM
Second vote for Miel, not to mention how quiet they are.

It just struck me, miel is french for honey, odd.......Rod.

I checked on the Miele. I was really hoping to pay less than $2,150 plus shipping from London.:rolleyes:

John Fricke
05-29-2009, 6:48 PM
I never rely on reccomendations of appliance salespeople. I feel that they reccomend what makes them the largest commission. Over the years we've had good luck going with consumer reports best buys.

Dennis Peacock
05-29-2009, 7:11 PM
My grandmother had a very old wringer type washing machine. You could run over that thing with a truck and it will wash and spit the truck out....or at least it seemed that it would.......

They don't make them like they used to. We have already been through 5 washing machines and the next one will have to come with 6" sealed bearings and a 50HP motor. :D

Tom Godley
05-29-2009, 7:16 PM
I bought a vacation house a few years ago and I inherited a midlevel GE dryer and a very old Maytag washer (the original Maytag with only a few pushbuttons). They were both not working correctly and I was going to just replace them until I priced out the LG set that Consumer Reports had as the recommended set. Since I was planning some renovations - the thought of having to work around and have workmen move a new $2500.00 set a few times convinced me to look at another solution.

For less that $100.00 I had both units working and its been three years and all is still well. Depending on what is wrong -- they are not very hard to fix - all the parts are easy to get and the info to fix them is all over the internet.

I also am not sure about the real value in some of the newer units -- I hear a lot of complaints. My sister replaced her front loaders with a F&P top load set about a year ago and she like everything about them except the plastic top because it is not flat.

I guess if you have a lot of kids the water savings would add up on the most efficient units. The last set I purchased were from Sears and made by Whirlpool -- Had to get one of the electronic boards replaced - so far thats it in about 10 years

Nate Carey
05-29-2009, 7:32 PM
Brian, after you've made your purchase (I'll bet you won't go too long without a machine); let us know what you decided on and why...

...we'll all be over to give it a try!

Nate Carey
05-29-2009, 7:39 PM
I also am not sure about the real value in some of the newer units -- I hear a lot of complaints. My sister replaced her front loaders with a F&P top load set about a year ago and she like everything about them except the plastic top because it is not flat.

Tom, that's my only complaint about our Fisher & Paykel...otherwise it's a real performer with some very innovative features...

Dan Friedrichs
05-29-2009, 8:08 PM
Avoid LG. I just bought a house full of new LG appliances, and find them to be the most un-user-friendly things ever made. Quality and appearance and features are all fine, but I get the impression that the folks who designed them never took them home to use them for any length of time. Two examples: The oven beeps (loudly) 8 times once it reaches pre-heat temperature. The menu allows all the other "beeps" to be shut off or adusted in volume, but not this one. Personally, I find it really annoying! The microwave has a "More" button that lets you add more time to whatever you're cooking, but it only adds 10 seconds at a time. How often do you only want to add 10 seconds?! Unless you're adding 30 seconds or less, it's fewer button presses to press "Cancel", put in a new time, and press "Start" again.

So, yeah, they look nice, but I think they're poorly thought-out designs. Every one of the LG appliances I have suffers from this myriad of poor usability.

Mark Hix
05-29-2009, 8:32 PM
I bought a 5 yr old Kenmore set 20 yrs ago, wife talked me into a new set last year...bought Kenmore....service guy has been out twice already replacing parts...bought the upper middle priced set so no reccommendation here.

Rick Moyer
05-29-2009, 9:15 PM
If it had been up to me, which of course is wasn't;), I would have chosen a no-frills machine for less money. Not much to go wrong there and most of the major players would be fine. That being said we got a Kenmore front loader HE and I do like it. I think you could get the clothes just as clean on a budget machine however, albeit with more water usage.
Our last machine, GE, lasted 16 years.

Jon Knauft
05-29-2009, 9:37 PM
I have a high end Kenmore front-loader. Within 5 months one of the main electronic boards went on it. It was under warranty but the repairman said it would have been an $800 repair. He had to remove a fair amount of the top of the washer to get to it. Before that we had a midrange GE that lasted for 14 years. I can't give you a recommendation but I would say don't spend the money on a high end gizmo laden washer. I haven't been impressed.

-Jon

Paul Ryan
05-29-2009, 9:46 PM
I forgot to add that my friend the repairman, strongly suggested against LG. For one he didn't like working on them. But the main reason was parts. LG's are made in Korea and some parts can take a long time to get due to the ocean deal. Fortuatly unlike wood working equipment most of our appliances have not went over seas yet. I have heard of LG machines being down for 2 months due to part accesability. I don't know if you have a SWMBO but she will have a large say in what you purchase. I also suggest buying a top load, and a simple one. I think ours has 17 cycles, some of the new ones have 30+. Ours also has dials instead of push button electronic controls, less to go bad. Good Luck

Art Mulder
05-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Who has a washing machine that has lasted forever and what kind is it

Brian, I went through this just over a year ago (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=75219), and we settled on buying an LG set from the orange borg. So far we're very pleased with it. Look me up in 10 years and see if I've changed my mind... :rolleyes:;):D

Seriously, they are good on water. They are not overly loud. And the cycle is much quicker than the European tumble washer it replaced. The clothes get cleaned, and everyone's pretty satisfied. (well except for whichever child has the "start the laundry" chore...)

I think we found it. Fisher & Paykel...
http://www.fisherpaykel.com/ ...Brian, check them out, I think you'll like what you see...Nate

I regularly see a few (not many, but a few) solid fans of these units. I looked at them but was concerned about the relative small capacity that they seem to offer. Not to mention the fact that I couldn't see them locally.

Don't base your decision on a washer that was quality-built 20 years ago. It may not be quality anymore.

Exactly. That refrain is repeated everywhere. There has been a lot of consolidation of companies over the past 10 years. Doesn't really matter how good Maytag was 30 years ago.

Brian Kent
05-29-2009, 11:30 PM
I am not a subscriber to ConsumerReports (magazine or online).

If I subscribe online, do they give you access to all past test results or just whatever they happened to test this month? My wife doesn't want to put out the $26 bucks to find they didn't rate washers this month.

Looks like there is a whole lot of dice-rolling out there (by which I mean "over here"):rolleyes:. Not much to depend on. This is one appliance where I will buy an extended warrantee.

By the way, thank you Sawmill Creek for the Off Topic Forum!:D

Scott Smith, does your brother want to sell the 1930's gasoline powered Maytag?

John Fricke
05-30-2009, 12:01 AM
As a online subscriber to CR you have at minimum access to their latest tests in any category. My wife normally does the research but I just logged in and there is a whole big section on laundry available. There may be an archive section but I'm not sure.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-30-2009, 7:49 AM
We bought stackable Maytags in 1970 while in the Navy living in a trailer court. We used them until the we replaced them for bigger units in the late '80s. Maytags were so expensive we went through several Kenmores.

Most recently we bought some upper end Maytags and so far they have been great.

Lee Mitchell
05-30-2009, 8:38 AM
We bought a Whirlpool pair in 1984. They're still going strong. Over the years we've replaced the dryer belt and the washer dasher. That's it.

I dread the day they give up the ghost. All I want is a plain, simple, pair that cleans the laundry. I don't want or need all the bells, whistles, gimmicks, doodads, flat screen TV, GPS, iPod port, or anything else that's being loaded on today's models. All I want are sturdy components that stand up to daily wear and tear AND that are fairly easy to replace, if the need arises.

FWIW, I remember when my mother washed clothes, in the backyard using a washboard and a cast iron wash pot. I remember when she started using a wringer washer. In fact, as a teenager, it was often my job to do the laundry and hang it on the backyard clothes line. It took a heck of a lot of work to fill the washer and tubs, using a pitcher pump at the well to fill everything with water, one bucket at a time. BTW, that was really fun in the wintertime.

When we got married in 1966, it was a pure pleasure to use an automatic washer. Still had to hang out the clothes. Years later, we bought a dryer. Yet, today, I still miss the fresh smell of sun dried sheets.

Call me old fashioned, if you will. Call me frugal, if you must. But, I can't see paying a "fortune" for all the extras on machines that break down too quickly, require a technician to repair, and don't wash laundry any cleaner than a simple, well contructed machine.

Sorry for getting into rant mode, because this is a sore spot with me than ranges from cars to all the dead/outdated computers I've discarded over the last 20 years.

Lee in NC

Dennis Peacock
05-30-2009, 10:31 AM
What about this one?

James Harrison
05-30-2009, 10:44 AM
I just purchased an LG WM2455hg washer at sears on sale for just over 900.00. It is front loading and is highly rated by consumer reports. It does not have the steam option but I did not think it was worth the extra cost. I am widowed and my daughter lives with me and we both like it.
It has saved on water and elec costs. It is very quiet compared to others.
The earlier statement about the gasoline washer was good to read. I remember that as a boy my friends and I use to buy the used motors from washers that went bad and mount them on bicycles. Just like the first Whizzer.

Steve knight
05-30-2009, 12:18 PM
most of the matching driers that are the match of the washers are a real ripoff. the more expensive the washer the more the drier costs. come on now where are only so many things a drier can do.

Brian Kent
05-30-2009, 12:33 PM
What about this one?

I got one of those - nice model, too. I'm just trying to buy her a washing machine.

Darius Ferlas
05-30-2009, 1:21 PM
My mom has been using this one for 38 years and it's still going.
It was serviced once in 1987 - transmission belt and glass seal.
No computer chips inside. Simple and as effective.

Among the things I appreciate about European washing machines is that most have a "boil" setting for whites, so there is no need for bleach. The whites come out of it as good as the day they were bought. Bleach doesn't come even close.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6927/540320364ffffffffffffffxn6.jpg

Art Mulder
05-30-2009, 5:17 PM
My mom has been using this one for 38 years and it's still going.
Among the things I appreciate about European washing machines is that most have a "boil" setting for whites, ...

Had one of those (AEG), and yeah, the "boil" setting was pretty good.

Well, except back when we washed diapers. (The smell of hot pee in the laundry room... :()

But ours only lasted 10 years, darn it.
And I must say I do NOT misss the near 2hr cycle length!!!

Phil Thien
05-30-2009, 6:17 PM
When we purchased our house a friend that owned laundromats told us to only buy Maytag. Said they're easy and cheap to fix if there is a problem, and that they don't have problems often.

Haven't had any issues whatsoever in fifteen years (knock on wood).

But if I have learned anything from this thread, it is that I will FIX the units when they do break down, rather than buy new.

Brian Kent
05-30-2009, 7:03 PM
Thank you all for joining me in this epic journey.

We are buying another Maytag. (MVWC6ESWW)

The repair bill would have been about $475.

New washer with delivery, installation and service contract is $546.

That gives us 5 years of warrantee after which it will break down again. By then I hope that Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen (or even Ron Brese) is making washing machines.:D

Kyle Kraft
05-31-2009, 6:49 AM
Hmmm....didn't see many (if any) kudos for Whirlpool. I wonder why. Could it be that that their CS stinks as bad as their products? My Duet washer lasted a month shy of its third birthday...would cost more than 50% of new to repair.

Whirlpool has acquired many brands like Maytag, Amana, Kitchenaid, Jenn-Air, and almost all the other familiar U.S. names.

My advice if your looking to buy a new washer is don't. Look for an old school top loader, preferably a pre-takeover Maytag.

Curt Harms
05-31-2009, 8:52 AM
SWMBO has had front loaders for at lest 25 years and is not about to change:rolleyes:. She likes the fact that they're stackable. I did a little research and found a couple youtube videos, the bookmarks for which I've lost. The upshot as I recall was to use HE detergent. There's a star shaped casting that holds the tub. If there are much in the way of suds, this star gets wet and will corrrode and break. How much would it have cost to coat this casting with a sealant to prevent corrosion? Too much, apparently. Another issue was with the front buttons. Some models had a BUNCH. Somehow moisture & steam got among the buttons and corroded them. We had a White Westinghouse set which was working okay but they were getting tired. The new Kenmore washer is certainly quieter and doesn't make us think there's a 5.0 earthquake when it spins (washer & dryer are on the 2nd floor).

Sears installation was another matter. We bought from a Sears outlet in N.E. Philadelphia. The two guys that delivered them put them in the garage and said their job was just to deliver them and someone else would be along to install them. This was a night when a Phillies world series game was on. They lied. They were supposed to install it but wanted to get back to Jersey to watch the game. We did get another Sears service team to come out and hook the new units up and Sears compensated us for the inconvenience. The experience did not elevate my opinion of Sears service however.

Curt

David G Baker
05-31-2009, 11:57 AM
I am like Phil, I fix them myself if it is possible and financially feasible. I have Maytag and they have worked okay for the past 5 years but there are some very weird noises coming from both the washer and dryer on occasion. I probably will not buy Maytag again when these go out. I also believe in getting the most basic washers and dryers available, much less potential for problems.

Mike Null
05-31-2009, 12:29 PM
As a retired headquarters executive of the appliance industry I can say factually that there is a substantial absence of facts in this thread.

There is one which is accurate and that deals with taking the sales persons recommendation. Their recommendation is often motivated by a higher commission or what is called a SPIF. SPIF is an acronym for special promotional incentive fund and one that most manufacturers use from time to time.

The reason for the extra hot water on European machines is that they are not allowed to use bleach nor many of the detergents we have in the US.

Assuming that Consumer Reports is authoritative on anything is chancy.

Is the Meile better than American made washers? Yes, but it's smaller and costs nearly three times as much. Will it last twice as long? Not likely, since we have bigger families thus many more wash loads and higher frequency of use than in Europe.

European refrigerators and cooking products have no advantage over US products. Styling is subjective.

Jim Becker
06-01-2009, 9:11 AM
I don't think that "lasting forever" is an option any more. But I will say that I'm extremely happy with our LG SteamWasher and SteamDryer.

Joe Mioux
06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Maytag,

They are easy to work on when they need repair.

The store that we have purchased other Maytag items from, usually just sells me the part(s) and tells me how to fix it. The fix takes less than an hour in most cases.

Past problems, included a belt, a plastic blower motor fan, and a switch.

we have had Maytag Washer and Dryer for 20 years.

joe

Dave Lehnert
06-01-2009, 10:04 PM
We purchased a new front load set from a family owned store. I purchased it (GE BRAND) then got home reading the reviews and was nervous with all the negatives. Went back to the store with my concerns. The owner said I could purchase another model if I liked but he sold hundreds of the GE and very few problems.
I trusted him so I got the GE anyway. Long story short the store owner was right. All the reviews I had read were from people who never read the owners manual.

The owner of the store also told me no matter the brand or price 10 years was about the life span of todays units.

Al Willits
06-01-2009, 11:10 PM
There are two basic versions of Maytag, a single drive and dual drive belt, the dual is the Maytag your mother had for 20+ years and it ran pretty much with only minor maintance, the single belt is the same as Norge and a few other cheap models and a pos.

If you can find the dual belt, that's what I would buy.

Do not buy any of the trendy machines like Meile, Bosch and such unless you have a dealer servicer next door, or at least in your aera.

LG and Frigidare are two I'd stay away from no matter what and remember any of the front loaders with take the bearing out if you load them with as much as they say they will take, once the bearing goes, toss it for the most part.
Maybe add GE to that list.

Whirlpool still makes a decent and reasonably cost top load machine, their front loader isn't to bad and chances are its the same one sears sells with the HE4/? label.

Out of the 6 of us on the techinal help line I work on for our company, three have Fisher Paykels..fwiw

btw you can take the first three numbers in a sears model and generally see who made it, try
http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/sears.shtml

Al

Tom Godley
06-02-2009, 8:24 AM
The old Maytag that I fixed was the two belt unit. I was amazed how easy it was to change the belts! --- also the washer is so simple in its design. I was wondering why they would change from this design??

F&P now owns DCS -- I have not been all that happy with the customer service through F&P when getting help on my DCS products.

Mike Null
06-02-2009, 8:53 AM
Al

How do you explain that my Frigidaire front loader is still working without service after 13 years? Also how do you explain that the GE front loaders which a previous poster and dealer said were very good (also made for GE by Frigidaire by the way) work as advertised? (why Frigidaire--at the time Frigidaire was the only US mfr of front-loading machines)

If you were a serviceman I challenge your facts as your sample is too small to project it to a national figure. Norge? How many years has it been since you could find a Norge. Norge was a company owned by Admiral and acquired by Maytag with the Admiral acquisition.

Meile and Bosch trendy? Hardly, they've been around for more years than most of us. Bosch/Seimens dishwashers have been built in the US since the mid 90's as a point of interest.

Jim O'Dell
06-02-2009, 12:07 PM
We have had Kenmore, Amanna, (good unit-longest transmission warranty-10 years, or was), and now have a Maytag set up. Mid level. Had the Maytag set up for about 5 years now, and no problems, no service calls. LOML is happy with them. The less dry/more dry sensor on the dryer even works pretty good! Jim.

Rick Huelsbeck
06-03-2009, 10:24 AM
I'v got a Kenmore washer and Dryer, had to replace a knob on the dryer since 1991.

Al Willits
06-03-2009, 2:55 PM
Al

How do you explain that my Frigidaire front loader is still working without service after 13 years? Also how do you explain that the GE front loaders which a previous poster and dealer said were very good (also made for GE by Frigidaire by the way) work as advertised? (why Frigidaire--at the time Frigidaire was the only US mfr of front-loading machines)

If you were a serviceman I challenge your facts as your sample is too small to project it to a national figure. Norge? How many years has it been since you could find a Norge. Norge was a company owned by Admiral and acquired by Maytag with the Admiral acquisition.

Meile and Bosch trendy? Hardly, they've been around for more years than most of us. Bosch/Seimens dishwashers have been built in the US since the mid 90's as a point of interest.

Btw when the two belt Maytag was being produced in mass Norge was indeed being also produced and they sold the single belt cheaper model, Whirlpool now owns both.
Norge was produced into the mid 90's at least and if we're talking 20 year old washer, I figured most would know the Norge name.

Trendy may or may not fit, what does fit is these unit need repair just like any others and you should have a dealer/servicer close to you, as in any applicance, the difference being Maytag/Whrilpool dealers are fairly common, you don't see a Meile dealer in every mall.

Why are they still running?
Same reason some water heater run 6 months and some 30 years or more, but Frigidare has had major problems with bearing, take it or leave it, your choice.

al