PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Logs Pt 2

Bernie Weishapl
05-29-2009, 3:11 PM
Well here is the beginning. I cut up 2 of the walnut logs this morning yeilding 16 blanks. I got them all anchorsealed and stored away. It got to hot (88 deg) to do much more and I need to sharpen my chain anyway. If the rest yield as these two did I should have around 40 bowl blanks. As you can see the 18" log is still waiting. I need help putting a 4 X 4 under it so I can cut it up. Will get up early and start sawing again in the morning.

Greg Just
05-29-2009, 3:20 PM
Nice haul of walnut. Can't wait to see the finished bowls.

Greg Haugen
05-29-2009, 3:23 PM
Nice! Walnut is one of my favorite woods to turn. If I was closer, I'd help you out. Chainsaws are just as fun as lathes. :D

Brian McInturff
05-29-2009, 3:38 PM
Wow Bernie, looks like it's time for a large glass of Iced Tea. That's a lot of blanks. And they all look great too!!

alex carey
05-29-2009, 3:44 PM
Looking good, that walnut will keep you busy for a while.

Steve Schlumpf
05-29-2009, 3:44 PM
Beautiful wood Bernie! So........ all that wood, have you started thinking about getting a bigger lathe yet? Would be nice to have in place before you retire! LOL

Bernie Weishapl
05-29-2009, 6:14 PM
Beautiful wood Bernie! So........ all that wood, have you started thinking about getting a bigger lathe yet? Would be nice to have in place before you retire! LOL

Thanks everyone. Yea I have thought about it Steve. I was looking at a Oneway 2436 or the Robust but I got the evil eye over the top of the glass if you catch my drift.:eek::eek: I really probably won't Steve. Bowls over 16" at least down here don't sell well at all and with the Nova I can turn up to 29" anyway. Would be nice though.

Went out and bought a log jack today to make it easier to handle and cut big logs like these. I have 3 more to cut and 2 are the big ones. Will add more pic's tomorrow.

Joshua Dinerstein
05-29-2009, 6:25 PM
Oh man. I am jealous. That wood looks great. Congrats Bernie! I gotta find better sources of wood that is all there is too it. ;)

Joshua

Jeff Nicol
05-29-2009, 9:07 PM
Bernie, It sure looks like you have been busy! I did pretty much the same thing today but my wood was, mulberry, aspen, hard maple and some black willow. I need to get to the shed and get the sawmill going for the big walnuts Mike Svoma and I got a couple weeks ago. Then I will have some gloat pics too!

Stay cool,

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
05-29-2009, 9:20 PM
Thanks again. Well got the chain sharpened and ready for tomorrow morning. Also found a log jack here in town believe it or not. So that will make the two big ones a lot easier to cut. Make sure you post your pic's Jeff.

Barry Stratton
05-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Good stuff Bernie!!!

Hey, if you can't treat yourself to a "retirement" lathe, get yourself a small Woodmizer or similar type sawmill. Makes cutting blanks very, very easy.

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2009, 6:51 PM
Thanks Barry. I need something. I got the rest of the 3 logs cut today yeilding 24 more blanks and 6 plate/platters. The center out of all of the blanks where the pith is I cut out pen blanks and blanks for finials. This old man is a hurting puppy. To much time sitting behind a desk.:eek::mad:

Mark Norman
05-30-2009, 7:38 PM
That should keep ya turning for a while eh Bernie?

Jonathan Harvey
05-30-2009, 8:07 PM
WOW nice haul. I gotta get me some more wood.

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2009, 8:33 PM
Thanks again. Yep should keep me out of trouble for while.

Yep I must be gluten for punishment because I just went out and cut 70 pen blanks and 20 finial blanks out of the center that had the pith in it. So the only thing left of those logs is the center 1 1/2" with the pith.

Brian McInturff
05-30-2009, 8:57 PM
Wow Bernie, you are really going to be busy. What size do you cut your finial blanks when the wood is wet. I find I'm always looking through my cutoffs for something to use. I never even thought about cutting finial blanks. Thanks for the tip:)

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2009, 9:23 PM
Wow Bernie, you are really going to be busy. What size do you cut your finial blanks when the wood is wet. I find I'm always looking through my cutoffs for something to use. I never even thought about cutting finial blanks. Thanks for the tip:)

I cut them around 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" and some 1" X 1".

Aaron Wingert
05-31-2009, 2:29 AM
Nice haul of walnut Bernie. Makes me want to chop down the huge walnut in my front yard. I love to turn walnut! Looks like a lot of work but it'll pay off when you've got all those blanks to turn.

By the way, you could have been nice enough to keep that 88 degree heat wave out in western Kansas but noooooo....You had to send it to us! :D I decided today that I need a ceiling fan over my lathe table, or perhaps one of those 5' diameter fans that the NFL uses that blows frost on players on the sidelines.

Ted Evans
05-31-2009, 8:51 AM
Hey Bernie, I envy all that beautiful walnut you have. I must say that it is hard for me to believe that you actually found a log jack in "Kansas".

Chip Sutherland
05-31-2009, 9:32 AM
Geez, I didn't know Kansas had trees esp walnut trees. Hope your's as pretty as some I got here in east Texas with colors ranging in mocha, chocolate, rust, purple, gray. Another place not noted for too many walnut trees.

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks everyone. Yes it was a lot of hard work and I am sure in a few months I won't remember getting up this morning stiff and sore. Like I said guess to much sitting behind a desk.

Ted I found it at Orscheln Farm Supply. I thought I would have to order one from Bailey's.

Chip we have quite a few walnut trees but mostly in the eastern part of Kansas. I actually got this walnut from southern Missouri. A kid I supervise here brought this wood back. This is some really nice walnut.

Aaron I don't want to be a pig about it so had to share. When I finally finished sawing and started anchorsealing the ends it was almost 90. I just can't take the heat like I did when I was younger but when I got them all painted and stacked in the shed that cold brew sure did taste good.:D

Barry Stratton
05-31-2009, 11:31 PM
So the only thing left of those logs is the center 1 1/2" with the pith.

Glue them up and turn yourself a "pith" pot!:eek::p:D

Richard Madison
05-31-2009, 11:52 PM
Bernie, Hope you didn't overdo it with all that sawing. Makes my back hurt just to think about it. Meanwhile, it is going to be sooo boring, just turning walnut after walnut after walnut. Yawn. Might be beneficial to send some of it out to the walnut-deficient among us. Just a thought.

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks Richard. I don't think I will be bored anytime soon but will let you know if I get depressed and need to do something with it.:eek:;):rolleyes::cool:

Yea Pete could do that but ended up cutting all those pen blanks.

Jarrod McGehee
06-01-2009, 1:08 PM
Hey Bernie you need to ship some of that walnut to san diego! nice haul though. if I was closer I'd lend you a hand.