PDA

View Full Version : Ahoy...Boat Builders!

Nate Carey
05-29-2009, 2:04 PM
...with more than 11,000 active members on this forum, you'd think we'd have more boat builders...or at least some wanna bees...

Peter Pedisich
05-29-2009, 2:19 PM
...with more than 11,000 active members on this forum, you'd think we'd have more boat builders...or at least some wanna bees...

Nate,

Hi, I dream of being a wooden boat builder. Until that day I'm trapped in an office building doing CAD drawings and project management:(

I check in here every day and am building a wood model/rc sailboat to get my feet wet.

Too many years ago (I was 19 once) I was a captain for a ferry boat company and ran an old wooden boat and I can't wait to get my feet on the deck again of the creaking, wavy timbers. But this time I'd rather avoid the bay water rushing in at the bow stem post while underway!:eek:

I enjoy your posts, wish this section had more traffic.

Pete

Nate Carey
05-29-2009, 2:36 PM
Pete, thank you for helping me break the silence.

I too stare at the glow of my computer most days...wanting the bell to ring (figure of speech) so I can go to my shop and work on a Kingfisher rowing shell that's about 85% complete.

I'd like to hear more about your adventures as a ferry Captain. Is the ferry the one in the photo? ...and maybe a photo or two of that rc sailboat. Nate

Peter Pedisich
05-29-2009, 2:57 PM
Nate,

Yes the one in the photos is one of the boats I ran, The Fire Island Maid.
It was slow, with a 6-cylinder Gray diesel and single screw with forward and reverse. Reverse was best for those times when the engine stalling was just what you were hoping for, and the wind would carry you frightfully towards a gleaming, 50' expensive yacht.
The hull had the unfortunate characteristic of conforming to the shape of the waves, as opposed to much preferable other way around!
I'm sure you understand that there is not much that frightens a 19 year old boy, but this boat caused me a good bit of anxiety. No radar, just a giant old spherical compass in a wood box that we would sit just ahead of the wheel. In the fog, you were on your own. At least the Great South Bay has a sandy bottom, I don't know how you folks do it up there with all the rocky bits:D
The other boat was a PT boat from the war, not sure if it was an Elco or Higgins. 20' or so was sawn off the stern to get it to 60', and two Detroit Diesel 8-71's dropped into her. It would get up on a plane nicely. Spin 360 in her own length, and handle like a '76 Eldorado.
Both were to carry freight, not passengers.
To hand a boat like this to a 18-19 year old boy may sound like madness now, but back then it was just the best job around!

Pete

Nate Carey
05-29-2009, 3:31 PM
...conforming to the shape of the waves, as opposed to much preferable other way around!

Pete, well said! I too have been on such craft...a couple of my own design and construction. I've learned a lot since then...or have I?

The ferries you describe; sounds like Rube Goldberg was the naval architect.

A close friend and neighbor of mine grew up in Mamaroneck and was "launch boy" at the MYC for most of his teen years...at age 56, he wishes he was still there working for tips.

My experience with Long Island is limited to several visits to another friend's home in Montauk...and fishing with him and his dad in their Bertram.

Peter Pedisich
05-29-2009, 3:50 PM
Nate,

When I begin construction of my rc sailboat (plywood) I'll take some pics and post them here.
Have you made small scale models of your boats?
I'd be interested in any tips!

Thanks,

Pete

Mac McQuinn
05-29-2009, 3:59 PM
Nate & Peter,
Yes, lets stir up some dialog on this forum! :rolleyes: I've been doing furniture for about 16 years and boats for about 11 years. I could not figure how to get a 5' wide boat out of a 4' wide opening coming out of my basement workshop so I decided to go all boat and moved everything out of the basement and I'm currently minimizing my tool collection to allow the future building of various craft in the 2 car garage attached to my house.

I've shared workspace with a couple other boatbuilders in the past and have built or co-built 3 stripper canoes, 1 S&G kayak, 3 S&G duck boats & a 14'-6" Canoe yawl that was unfortunately not totally completed. I ran a Boatbuilder's show in MI for small boats for a couple years about 10 years ago and met some great people with the same interests. In the past I've enjoyed building furniture, especially Craftsman style although just could not get as excited as building a boat and running your hands over a well contoured hull.....The whole idea of transporting yourself & friends in something you build really won me over.

I've posted recently on building a shallow water, purpose built skiff for using the endless waterways near my house and hopefully can get started soon on that. I have a Grand Child due in July and we need to do some exploring.....:D

Mac

Nate Carey
05-29-2009, 4:16 PM
Now we're talk'n Mac! Kids and boats are a "natural"...but alas my son (now 35) was into football and basketball and my daughter loves her animals (off to vet school in August)...and I cured my wife of the wooden boat disease by taking her through "one hell of a thunder storm" under sail 25 years ago.

John Bailey
05-29-2009, 9:44 PM
I haven't built many, but I sure do dream. I started out about ten years by rebuilding an Alberg 30.

I know, it's not a wood boat, but because it was one of the older models, 1964, it had plenty of teak and other wood on the inside and needed lots of work.

I needed a dinghy and so:

I built a dinghy. Next, I started a 15' Ian Oughtred "Whilly Boat."

I took a job a little over a year ago that keeps me busy about 12 hours a day and work on the sailboat came to a stop. I don't have pictures, but hanging from my shop's rafters are the moulds and strongback of an 18 ft. kayak.

All that, and I just acquired the project of a life time.

I plan to restore this William Atkin's design (so I'm told) 27' cruising sailboat. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'll learn.

I would love to see other projects. I know they're out there.

John

Jim Kountz
05-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Well I am a wanna be boat builder. I have dreamed for years about building a boat. I go back and forth between a simple canoe or rowboat all the way up to a larger boat with sleeping quarters and the works. The wife says Im crazy and that I have too many others projects to do already but Im still researching it.
We should do a community build like the Morris Chair Project. We could all build a small boat??
That would fire this forum up Im sure!!

Neal Schlee
05-30-2009, 1:26 PM
Here's a Tolman Jumbo 22 I built 4 years ago, recently sold it and am starting to build a new boat. A larger modified Tolman design, 27' LOA x 8'6" Beam. I've been CNC cutting kits for the Tolman's for 5 years and plan to offer kits on the new model.

Neal Schlee
Skiffkits LLC
Lasertech Alaska

Gary Kvasnicka
05-30-2009, 4:02 PM
It is nice to know that I am not the only one with this disease. Three years ago I built a 18' kayak. I recently started on a 15'6" kayak with my daughter. I want to build a canoe next, my son wants a rowing scull, and I have been trying to figure out how to build a 19'6" Ocean Pointer in my small shop. The city won't let me enlarge the shop, so I will have to talk the LOML into moving....fat chance:D It's a good thing that dreaming about building a bigger boat is fun too.

Neal,
A Tolman has been on my list since I first saw one. I hope to start one when I retire in 15-20 years.

John Bailey
05-30-2009, 5:54 PM
Me thinks we need more pics!!!

John

Nate Carey
05-30-2009, 8:20 PM
Fantastic...boats and boat dreams from Atlantic to Great Lakes to Pacific. I've got to do something about getting into digital photography so I can attach photos...anyway I do enjoy seeing everyone's boats, wooden or otherwise.

John, that Bill Atkin boat looks like a project and a half!

One of my favorite designers Phil Bolger (age 81) took his own life last Sunday. A full life centered on boats... http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/09/reports/bolger/index.htm
Several months ago I had a lengthy (too lengthy; must have cost her a fortune) telephone conversation with Phil's wife Susanne about Phil's design "Champlain". Susanne will continue their work, not skipping a beat.

Bill Ryall
05-31-2009, 6:50 AM
I lurk here mostly, but am an amateur boatbuilder. Have almost finished a simple ply-and-goop skiff. I also volunteer as a boat builder for The Compass Project, a Portland, Maine non-profit that mentors at-risk youth thru boatbuilding and rowing programs. www.compassproject.org

sean m. titmas
05-31-2009, 7:19 AM
ive gotten into SUP lately. Stand Up Paddleboard. it got its start in Hawaii and is becoming popular all over the place. the boards range in price from $900-$1800. i have been renting a board whenever i go out but i found a website, Cheseapeak Light Craft that sells kits that you can build yourself. im planning on buying a kit and build one over the summer and use it this winter.
i know its not a proper boat and the building methods and not quite typical but its as close to a boat that ive come across and look forward to building and using this new type of water toy. my friend and i really enjoy paddling around the shore line and in the intercostal water ways. it really open up a whole new area for recreational boating.

Nate Carey
05-31-2009, 8:02 AM
Sean, looks like you're enjoying life on the water...I do like Florida. My wife and I have a little place of the east coast, but 'til we retire can only send a few weeks each year there. Please post photos of you and your SUP as you build.

Bill, I like Maine and the rich history of boat building in Maine...often my wife and I talk about the possibility of moving to Maine's mid-coast...
...were you at this year's Maine Boat Builders Show with The Compass Project?

Frank Hagan
05-31-2009, 1:15 PM
I built a Stevenson's Projects Weekender, one of those boats that appeared in Popular Mechanics back in the 1980s (the family has been selling plans since that time). I built the boat and launched it in 2001. I've been itching to build another one, but have since graduated to a 19' Potter production sailboat. I have plans for a small, 2-seater runabout and a Spindrift 12' dinghy (from B&B Yacht Designs ... I host their forum for them).

This pic is from my personal website at the time ... its heavily compressed as I was on dial up then, but it shows the boat pretty well. She now lives with my brother.

John Bailey
05-31-2009, 4:25 PM
I built the boat and launched it in 2001. I've been itching to build another one, but have since graduated to a 19' Potter production sailboat..

Nice boat Frank, but I'm not sure I would agree that you've moved "up" to a potter. If that's a West Wight Potter you're referring to, they seem nice, but I'd rather have the weekender.

John

Dustin Lane
05-31-2009, 11:25 PM
I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'll learn.

Best quote ever. Pretty much my take on more than 75% of the stuff I do.

And to stay on topic, I've started in on a short little stripped kayak. I'll post some pictures once I have more to show.

Bill Ryall
06-01-2009, 4:45 PM
Sean, looks like you're enjoying life on the water...I do like Florida. My wife and I have a little place of the east coast, but 'til we retire can only send a few weeks each year there. Please post photos of you and your SUP as you build.

Bill, I like Maine and the rich history of boat building in Maine...often my wife and I talk about the possibility of moving to Maine's mid-coast...
...were you at this year's Maine Boat Builders Show with The Compass Project?

I was, Friday afternoon.

Brian George
06-04-2009, 1:55 PM
I have a captains license and have sailed the Bahamas, Florida Keys, and Lakes Michigan and Superior. I live about 3 hours south of Lake Superior just east of the Mississippi.
I came very close to buying a 35 ft Chris Craft motorboat from the estate of a friend. Finally decided I wanted to be on the water boating than on land looking out at the water. The motors and vast majority of the boat were in excellent condition. Could put my fist through some of the planking. Not to be for me. It now sits in a field about 100 miles west of Mpls-St Paul waiting for someone to see it and fall in love so the restorer can rebuild and sell for $45,000 or more. Sad to see it there. Sure do love the water!...

randall rosenthal
06-04-2009, 5:16 PM
My experience with Long Island is limited to several visits to another friend's home in Montauk...and fishing with him and his dad in their Bertram.[/QUOTE]

thats in my general area.....and i have a bertram...wonder if i know your friends.

to answer the original question there are only so many things you can do with one life. just because i dont have the time to build a wooden boat hasn't stopped me from owning one and reading forums about people who do actually build them...hats off to you guys.

glenn witgen
06-04-2009, 5:45 PM
I know how you guys feel. I have the same disease.
I have four kayaks that I have built over the last 3 years and am looking at building a one man canoe.
My wife asked me why i want to build a canoe when we have 3 kayaks. I said why not.
I have to say my wife is very under standing when it comes to my wood working. I have three boys (8,12,17) and they all like to help with the boat projects.

John Bailey
06-04-2009, 8:12 PM
I have three boys (8,12,17) and they all like to help with the boat projects.

Now that's the best reason yet!! However, how about some pictures. John

glenn witgen
06-05-2009, 7:52 AM
Here are a few pictures of some of my boat projects.

glenn witgen
06-05-2009, 8:01 AM
Let me try that again.

Mac McQuinn
06-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Glen,

Great looking projects! Did you ever attend the old Great Lakes Small Craft Symposium in Michigan with any of your boats? They look very familiar

Mac

glenn witgen
06-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Last year was the first time that i attened the Symposium. I justed attened, I did not take any boats.
The single kayak pictured I donated for a chuch auction. Its now hanging from the ceiling in a large cabin built in the 1930 up at Traverscity.

Nate Carey
06-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Neal, spent some time at Skiffkits LLC and FishyFun.com today. I wanna go fishing in Alaska!!!

raul segura
08-24-2009, 5:41 PM
whats up with all the boat stuff !

I got the sniffles as a lad, never liked models out of the box, but my brother did, so I copied parts of his. Its interesting how much fun a kid can have with a 2x4 and a pillow cover! Thank god the pillow didn't have feathers in it ,I may have walked a different path. My mom felt bad for me and got me this little yacht, never really took to it. The lines on my custom 2x4 where just to sweet.
These are pictures of a model I work on once in a long while and a painting I did of a magazine cover hope you like. Im also looking into building a small boat 16-18 feet. hopefully I ll be able to post here one day.
Il be tuning in hear I like .

Russ Hauser
08-25-2009, 3:43 PM

Hey, I'm building a boat. It's a 10 foot sailing dingy with a cat rig and is built with the "Stich and Glue" method. It's been slow going with the heat and humidity here in central Florida, but I expect to finish it by Thanksgiving.

Russ

Nate Carey
08-26-2009, 7:04 AM
Russ, we would love to see photos..

james mcgrew
08-26-2009, 9:34 AM
i spent ten years runnin yachts and ended up a cabinetmaker, i watch this boat forum for my moment of reprieve from my shop some times, this photo sits in a frame in my office and lends it self to a story when a client gets a little too pushy

i just show um a "bad day in Greece"

jim

Russ Hauser
08-29-2009, 2:28 PM
Russ, we would love to see photos..

Here are some pics I took on the day the hull "Went 3D." The center bulkhead is temporary and holds the hull's shape until the seams are epoxied. I'll have some more pics of the mast and boom soon.

Russ

Gary Kvasnicka
08-29-2009, 3:28 PM
Looking good! After I finish my daughters kayak I want to build a stitch and glue skiff.

Mac McQuinn
08-30-2009, 4:00 PM
Here are some pics I took on the day the hull "Went 3D." The center bulkhead is temporary and holds the hull's shape until the seams are epoxied. I'll have some more pics of the mast and boom soon.

Russ

Russ,
Nice job! This looks as it might be a Spindrift design by Graham Byrnes. Graham does nice work!
Keep us posted.

Mac

marc bergen
08-31-2009, 2:29 AM
Well, I'm new here, but not exactly new to boats. About 8 years ago, way back when I was married, I built a little row boat-she was not impressed. So, I figured a little row boat was too small, so I found a 20' Dorsett San Juan in a junkyard. It needed new stringers, transom, floor, and a bunch of fiberglass work to it as well. I redid that and changed out the motor from a Volvo Penta AQ120 (I believe) to an OMC with a 3.0 V6-basically doubling the horsepower, but the price was right. Well that Dorsett was fast and got up on plane in a hurry, but any side breeze would push it off course, so I never really opened it up all the way.

After that Dorsett, I found the smaller version of the San Juan, the Dorsett Catalina, and drug that thing home. By then, mama was livid. Never did get around to restoring the Catalina because a divorce got in the way and I had to fight for custody (I won, thank God). Now, I've got the boat building urge again and built a boat for my son. My fiance is scared of the water and has never been on a boat, but I figure in time, she'll come around and take a ride on a boat.

The red and white boat is the Dorsett and the green and white is my son's. I'm just waiting for him to "tune up" the motor and try to get it on plane.

marc bergen
08-31-2009, 2:45 AM
BTW, anyone from California or the West Coast? All of you seem to be from back east. Thing I noticed out here, there is a lack of craftsmen in the boat building world. I knew this one fine craftsman out in Sacramento, but he moved to Oregon. He was my mentor and his advice was invaluable. Out here, there aren't a whole lot of people who can build things like they can in the midwest. I guess it's a self reliance out there, and here, money can buy whatever you want (or could until the taxes go up some more). In fact, on the lakes out here (northern California), I haven't seen any handmade boats. People are amazed that I built my son's boat, but it really wasn't difficult at all. Sometimes I really miss living in Oklahoma. The things ordinary people out there would make work would just amaze people out here in California.

Oh, and the shocker for me after I built the boat. I had to get it registered at the DMV and got in an arguement with the gal over the Hull ID number. She insisted that I needed to provide her with one. I kept telling her I built the boat and had the receipts for the lumber, and she would have to assign me a hull ID number, but for some reason, she couldn't get it through her head that someone would actually build a boat instead of buying one. After about 30 minutes of arguing with her, she finally saw the light, charged me $40 for the tag, and sent me on my way.

Russ Hauser
08-31-2009, 5:20 AM
[QUOTE=marc bergen;1204695]Out here, there aren't a whole lot of people who can build things like they can in the midwest. I guess it's a self reliance out there, and here, money can buy whatever you want (or could until the taxes go up some more). In fact, on the lakes out here (northern California), I haven't seen any handmade boats.

Check out this guy's work. He's up in Vancouver. http://tinyurl.com/aerdqu

Russ

marc bergen
08-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Wow, I've learned a lot just by reading his build. Thanks. Unfortunately Vancouver is too far away, but from what I've read so far, it has been educational. I'm not a woodworker by trade, in fact, never really was interested in working with wood for a hobby, but after building the boat, I've realized how satisfying it can be. Besides, I have more time to learn since my job has been sent to India.

Mac McQuinn
08-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Marc,
Welcome to the Boatbuilding section of this forum. Nice work on your two boats! When you received a hull number, did you have to have the Coast Guard inspect it?

Mac

marc bergen
08-31-2009, 12:40 PM
nope. I think it was because it was for personal use, but not sure. The boat is only 8 feet long and designed for sheltered waters, so that may have been a factor as well. The DMV didn't even request a copy of the receipts. All they did was take my money, assign me a hull ID number, and give me the tags.

Mac McQuinn
08-31-2009, 5:20 PM
Marc,
Thanks for the info,

Mac

nope. I think it was because it was for personal use, but not sure. The boat is only 8 feet long and designed for sheltered waters, so that may have been a factor as well. The DMV didn't even request a copy of the receipts. All they did was take my money, assign me a hull ID number, and give me the tags.

Russ Hauser
08-31-2009, 8:51 PM
Here are pics of the mast and boom. The mast is made up of three 6 foot sections of aircraft aluminum tubing that telescope together. The fit is really loose and the sections have to be built up for a snug fit with epoxy and Fiberglas tape. The tapared wood plug in the bottom section fits into the mast step and is shaped to keep the mast from rotating in the step. the sail will have a sleeve luff and will slip over the mast.

The boom is laminated cyprus and is tapered fore and aft on the sides and bottom.

The boat is indeed a Spindrift S-10 designed by Graham Byrnes. Originally I had ordered plans for the nesting version, but changed my mind, wanting the stiffer hull and more floatation.

I'll post more pics soon.

Russ

Nate Carey
09-01-2009, 7:03 AM
Russ, I covet your vice!

Lawrence Smith
09-08-2009, 7:42 PM
Hi Nate,

About three years ago while up in Maine, I came across a nice little four foot long "Wherry". Being a retired engineer and looking for a project I thought this little boat would make a nice cocktail table for our living room. So I bought the plans, built it and turned it into a table. I thought it came out pretty well. I was just glad at the time that it did not have to float. And little did I know this was the beginning of a disease that has no antidote. I'm now building my third boat which is a twelve foot by five foot pulling boat. Unfortunately the river that I live on is not ideal for sailing or I would do a sailboat for number four. The other problem that I have is this summer has been damn hot down here in Florida. I can only work a few hours each day and I have to give it up. I usually measure it in the number of times that I change my sweaty T shirt. It usually is two changes and then I quit for the day although I did make it to four once. Anyway, I enjoy it and it is interesting to read this forum when I'm on Saw Mill Creek. Keep Posting :)

Nate Carey
09-09-2009, 5:30 PM
Lawrence, we're practically next door neighbors for part of the year. Which river are you referring to?

I only get to Jensen Beach 2 or 3 times each winter, staying a week or two each visit. Eight more years, then I'll be there from Thanksgiving to income tax day. And my plan is to have a fleet of small wooden boats to choose from.

Lawrence Smith
09-09-2009, 6:59 PM
Hi Nate,

The river is the Lockahatchee. It has a couple of channels that run through it and the balance of it is quite shallow. Not good for center board sail boats. I would sure like to meet you when you come down this winter. Let me know when you'll be in the area. My e-mail address is larrysmith202@aol.com. I'm looking forward to it.

Nate Carey
09-11-2009, 4:09 PM
One of my favorite places to kayak is through Jonathan Dickinson State Park on the Loxahatchee.

Lawrence, do you know these guys? www.boatsmithfl.com (http://www.boatsmithfl.com)
...they do real good wooden boat work...

Lawrence Smith
09-11-2009, 5:20 PM
Hi Nate,

Thanks for your reply. I am not familiar with Boatsmith, however I am familiar with the Liberty Yacht they are featuring on their website. I formerly owned a marine electronics company and we equipped quite a few Liberty Yachts as well as Merritts, Garlingtons, Ryboviches and Jim Smith boats. I will have to look them up when I get a chance. Am looking forward to meeting up with you this winter.

Larry

John Powers
09-11-2009, 9:47 PM
woodenboat magazine has a great website mainly for the wooden folks and there are sites for wood and canvas canoe types. I check in here but woodenboat.com if full of knowledgable people.

Nate Carey
09-18-2009, 7:22 AM
I haven't visited Sawmill Creek in several days 'cause my company is involved in a special project that has me and several others 'round here scrambling.

This morning I have a few minutes breathing room, and upon checking "Boat Building" I'm so pleased to see all this activity.

Bob your thread on oar building is fantastic!

...and now back to the show...

www.tnbuildcommunity.com (http://www.tnbuildcommunity.com)

Brett DeFalco
09-20-2009, 6:59 PM
Alright Nate, here's a build for you...

It's a plywood and epoxy hull, based on the hunting and fishing skiffs
used in the sawgrass of the Everglades back in the 1950's and '60's.
But those skiffs weren't powered, they were towed or poled.
They also didn't come with stowage for 6 flyrods, nor a vented pocket tunnel.
I documented the build, including my mistakes, so out of town family members
could follow the construction. Saved on sending and cc'ing email replies.
Click on the small images in the albums and you can view larger images.
Explanations in the captions under the pics. She's a skinny water skiff for use
in the inshore backwaters of NE Florida. An amateur design and build.
Floats in 3-1/2 inches with two aboard, runs in 12 inches.

link to build albums: http://picasaweb.google.com/bdefalco

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq208/bdefalco/Salt-Run/12-bow-lighthouse.jpg

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq208/bdefalco/Salt-Run/14-slipper-lighthouse.jpg

derek sikes
10-11-2009, 8:05 PM
I had grand plans to build a boat last year but had a daughter instead... So the boat is on the back burner... I do have a lot of books and back issues of Woodenboat Magazine though :)

Brian George
10-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Have a friend that grew up on Long Island. He has a 26" Chrysler and is wanting me to go with him to the Bahamas this winter. I have sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale many, many times so he thinks that what we should be doing to escape the cold, cold winter here in Wisconsin.
I tell him his boat needs some work on the bright work and he tells me to get at it.
Right now it is snowing here in Eau Claire and I'm thinking there might be some merit to what he is thinking...

Allan Froehlich
10-16-2009, 1:59 AM
It is a long-held dream of mine to build a wood boat.

I managed to get my start a few years ago as I was a pizza delivery driver:

I was heading down a familiar road to deliver a pizza. The weather was warm and I had my window open. Somewhere to my left, I heard the familiar sound of a palm sander. When I looked, I saw a garage loaded with about 10 canoes and kayaks on one side and a partially completed hull on the other. A man was sanding away at the hull.

I tried to make my delivery as fast as possible and get back to that house with the boats. When I made it there, I approached the man in the garage and, with great enthusiasm, told him how wonderful it was to meet someone with a similar interest. He gave me a grim look and stated that the actual owner of the boat and all of the tools and patterns had died a week earlier. The man in the garage was the son-in-law of the original builder. I was a bit upset about this, but he told me to come back that weekend because he did not know what to do with all of the [junk] in the house.

When I showed up, I found a big pile of plywood and scraps in the front yard. On closer inspection, I found that there were many hull bulkhead patterns in the pile. I knew what I was looking at, so I fought off (literally) anyone who stopped at the road with hopes of getting some free firewood.

I ended up with about 8 complete sets of canoe and kayak patterns!!! When the man in the garage realized that I saw value in these, he searched the house and garage and found 5 more sets of wood patterns, which he gave to me. I soon also had three building frames (strongbacks?) and all sorts of lumber. My dad and I also agreed to purchase all of the tools from the widowed lady, who had little use for them.

I think about building one of these boats soon. The only problem is that I do not have the space or capital to initiate the project. Right now, I am in a wonderful financial situation known as somewhere between graduation from college and finding a job. When I talk to my friends from school about what we want to do when we finally find employment, they talk about cars, electronics, and bachelor pads. I, on the other hand, talk about a nice workshop where I can build boats and furniture.

To have a stripwood canoe is a glimmering goal for me. It is not impossible to achieve, but it is out of reach for now.

Nate Carey
10-16-2009, 1:48 PM
Allan, the "keen eared" young person that you are is exactly who I was 40 years ago. Don't think too much about the things you want to do...just do them and don't look back.

Mac McQuinn
10-16-2009, 4:49 PM
Guys,

I know you're all scavengers like me and with wooden boats in mind, I've recently discovered a new supplier for future projects. I was running to the Post Office one day last week and looked over at our local Habitat for Humanity "Restore" store down by the waterfront. There's always an overflowing of stuff fro sale from the store into the parking lot and what I saw caused me to make a U-turn and go back.

It was a production built wooden 19'? "Lightning" sailboat in very nice condition, Sitting on a trailer and appeared to only need some cleaning and a coat of paint on hull. Interior was well varnished and there appeared to be a set sails, full rigging and masts inside. I walked inside to get the scoop, $1500 was asking price and a family donated it due to lost storage. There's lots of older homes in the area with carriage houses this could have emerged from. My thoughts are this boat was very well maintained and built in the late 1950's or early 60's. The boat has since vanished although this week on the way to post office again, I looked over and saw a wooden lapstrake 16-17" Runabout, perhaps a Thompson or Chris-Craft. I need to check this out closer for price and condition although it looked nice on a roll and had a trailer under it.

So don't discount the out of the way locations for future boat building projects....:eek:

Mac

Arnold E Schnitzer
10-17-2009, 5:41 PM
I have plans for a Penobscot 17 and hope to start on her in the year ahead. My wife reminds me I've been saying that for three or four years now...

We went to the Wooden Boat Show at Mystic this past June and it was fantastic. I swore there and then that I'd get started this Fall. Is it Fall yet?

Bob Easton
10-17-2009, 5:55 PM
I have plans for a Penobscot 17 and hope to start on her in the year ahead. My wife reminds me I've been saying that for three or four years now...

We went to the Wooden Boat Show at Mystic this past June and it was fantastic. I swore there and then that I'd get started this Fall. Is it Fall yet?

Dunno where you live, but it is certainly Fall here in NY. Actually, it's almost Winter. I think we missed Fall, and am writing Al Gore to complain about it.

So, what's holding you back? Get some lumber and start building. Every P 17 I've seen has been gorgeous. When you start yours, grab a camera, take pictures along the way, and post them here. Start a new thread as your "build log."

It's Fall. No more excuses. We'll be watching.

david halladay
10-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Hello all, I am a professional boatbuilder in Jupiter Florida. First got the disease 44 yrs ago and can't seem to shake it. Lately we have been building sailing catamarans and high end sportfishers. Here's a blog address of the construction of a Tiki 30 we recently completed. David
http://tiki30.blogspot.com/

Allan Froehlich
11-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Allan, the "keen eared" young person that you are is exactly who I was 40 years ago. Don't think too much about the things you want to do...just do them and don't look back.

Thanks for the advice.

My bulkhead patterns are all lined up on the strongback and I am tooking for some good lumber. Time to build a boat!

Nate Carey
11-20-2009, 8:45 AM
Allan, take photos of your build and show them off (to us and others)! You've done good to start, now go forward slow and steady.

Allan Froehlich
11-22-2009, 3:22 PM
Allan, take photos of your build and show them off (to us and others)! You've done good to start, now go forward slow and steady.

Time to cut some planks. Due to the nature of my shop and the available lumber, I am not going to use full-length strips. I'm trying to figure out the best way to join the planks end-to-end. I'll either do a finger joint, butt joint or use tiny wooden dowels.

If you think about using short planks, then you can create some interesting hull patterns.