PDA

View Full Version : Wood BIC Stick pen - Wanted

Frank Kobilsek
05-29-2009, 1:00 PM
I am setting up a demo/class that has a very very small budget(Translation - Zero). Therefore I was thinking of doing a pen project without a pen kit. Somewhere I have seen a turner that pulls the refill from a cheap BIC stick pen and that becomes the 'kit' for a wood pen. If someone could share the instructions for that project I would greatly appreaciate it.
Frank

Maria Alvarado
05-29-2009, 1:30 PM
Frank,
You can find instructions here: http://wnywoodturners.com/articles/stickpen/stickpen.htm

Good luck!

Frank Kobilsek
05-29-2009, 2:04 PM
Maria
Thank You. That is exactly what I needed. Have a great weekend!
Frank

Wally Dickerman
05-29-2009, 3:45 PM
Quite a few years ago I made something like 200 wood Bic pens before I got tired of doing them. They sold as fast as I could make them. A lot more turning skill required than the kit pens being made today. Very good practice for small scale spindle turning. I found that hard, dense woods worked the best.

Wally

Frank Townend
05-29-2009, 8:10 PM
Those are very nice Wally!

Jack Gaskins
05-29-2009, 8:53 PM
Quite a few years ago I made something like 200 wood Bic pens before I got tired of doing them. They sold as fast as I could make them. A lot more turning skill required than the kit pens being made today. Very good practice for small scale spindle turning. I found that hard, dense woods worked the best.

Wally

Have been thinking of making some of those. Would you have any tips or suggestions on how to make them?

Jim Underwood
05-30-2009, 9:49 AM
There's another thing you can do with a couple of cheap click pens that have been bought at Walmart. If you do a search for "Walmart Pens" over at the IAP forums you should turn up some tutorials.

Mark P. Brown
05-31-2009, 10:27 PM
There is also a you tube video called "The 12 cent pen" that shows the basics.
Mark