PDA

View Full Version : International flavor in shop

Nathan Roelofs
03-20-2003, 11:12 AM
I undertook a major shop cleaning last night. The first since I pushed a big (11' long) casework project out the door. Perhaps I was preoccupied with the state of international affairs, but I was struck by the variety of countries of origin represented in my tools. The following is a short list with their nationality--

bigger stuff:
Rojek panel saw (Czech Republic)
Delta/Invicta 13" planer (Brazil)
Cantek 12" jointer (Taiwan)
General International 25" drum sander (Taiwan)
Sunhill oscillating edge sander (Taiwan)
Oneida 2hp cyclone (USA)
Meber 14" bandsaw (Italy)

smaller stuff:
Milwaukee miter saw (USA)
Festool sander and router (Germany)
Porter Cable routers and misc (USA)
Bosch routers and misc (Germany et al)
Hitachi router (Japan)
miscellaneous Makita (Japan)
Leigh FMT (Canada)

I am curious about the mix in your shops. I know there are those who buy nothing but USA and there is the ever strong Grizzly contingent. I used to think that I wanted a color consistent shop, but I am actually rather proud of the mix. It results from some used purchases, local dealer availability, and specialized needs. What feeds your tool buying strategy?

Mike Vermeil
03-20-2003, 11:19 AM
Be careful when determining the origin of your tool. As with modern automobiles, althouh the tool may have been assembled in one country, the subcomponents generally come from multiple other nations. Most hard goods have really become what most of us Amercians are, mutts.

Simon St.Laurent
03-20-2003, 1:51 PM
You've inspired me to clean the shop, which is a good idea anyway.

I know I have USA, Taiwan, China, France, UK, Canada, Germany, Italy, India, and Switzerland down there. Maybe Spain. Guess I'll know when I get the shop clean!

Lee Schierer
03-20-2003, 2:16 PM
Most of my tools are older and not recently purchased. The majority of my "heavy iron" comes from the USA. The lone exception would be my bandsaw that I just purchased in Canada that was made in China.

I have no idea where tools like my Freud router or Bosch jig saw were actually manufactured.

My hand tools were all made in the USA.

Dave Arbuckle
03-20-2003, 2:28 PM
Lee, my Freud router was made in Spain, I think they all are.

Dave

Dave Anderson
03-20-2003, 3:46 PM
Of known origin:

Powermatic 66 TS - USA
Powermatic 54 Jointer - Taiwan
Jet 17" Drill Press - Taiwan
MiniMax MM16 Bandsaw - Italy
Porter Cable 690-693 Routers - USA
Porter Cable 340 Palm Sander - USA
Oneida 1.5hp Cyclone - USA
Record #53 Vise - England

Don't know 'til I check the tag:

Makita LS-1220 CMS
Hitachi M12V Router
DeWalt 733 Planer
Bosch 1587 VS-(ABCDEFG) Jig Saw
Campbell Hausfield 1.5hp/20gal Compressor

And a few more I can't think of at the moment ('cause I can't find them under the <i>Remodel Warehouse</i> clutter...) :(

John Longwitz
03-20-2003, 5:50 PM
...the Pilsner Urquell in the spare 'fridge. I don't consume it there though and never before making sawdust.

John Sanford
03-20-2003, 6:51 PM
Delta Contractor's Saw - USA
Powermatic PM50 Jointer - USA
Jet Wood/Metal Bandsaw - Taiwan
Jet Drill Press - Taiwan
Delta 12" Planer - Taiwan??
Rigid Belt/OSS - USA
Delta DC - Taiwan
Craftsman Grinder - Taiwan

DeWalt Jigsaw, 12" CMS, 12v Drill - USA
Porter Cable ROS, Circular Saw, Biscuit Joiner - USA
B&D drill - USA(?) (old enough that its either USA or Taiwan, not China)
Craftsman Beltsander - ??
Craftsman "dremel" - USA

Bosch 1617EVS router - ??
Clamps - Besseys from Germany, Garret Wade's from Germany, Pony's from USA, QuikGrips from USA, spring clamps from Czech.

Handplanes - USA, England, Canada
Chisels - England, Sweden, USA
Handsaws - Japan, USA, and my hacksaws came from somewhere....
Sawblades and router bits - USA, Italy, New Zealand, China
Drill Bits - USA, Austria, Taiwan, China
Marking & Measuring - USA, Taiwan, India.
Thumpin & Whackin - USA, Taiwan, Japan.

Curiously, I don't think I have any French tools currently represented in the woodworking realm, although I do believe I have a few bicycle tools from both France and Italy, as well as at least one very good French knife. (Darn thing was responsible for the "Lie-Nielsen" effect where knives are concerned, i.e. opening my eyes to how crappy the stuff I had been using was. The only upside [sort of] is that true French Sabatier knive haven't been available in the US since shortly after I got mine, which severely slowed my knife acquisition as I tried to settle on another maker.)

Lee Schierer
03-20-2003, 9:05 PM
My Bosch jig saw says made in USA.

Rob Glynn
03-20-2003, 9:14 PM
I am depressed. Not one made in Australia tool mentioned.

Mind you, "made in Australia" seems to mean that some part of the manufacture or the packaging took place in Australia. Like the US, we outsource a lot of manufactue to Asia and other places.

Please, please, tell me that one of you has Vegemite in the pantry or Fosters in the fridge.

John Sanford
03-21-2003, 5:00 PM
Originally posted by Rob Glynn
I am depressed. Not one made in Australia tool mentioned.

Mind you, "made in Australia" seems to mean that some part of the manufacture or the packaging took place in Australia. Like the US, we outsource a lot of manufactue to Asia and other places.

Please, please, tell me that one of you has Vegemite in the pantry or Fosters in the fridge.

Vegemite? Is that a vegetable sort of seasoning mix, or is it some wierd, twisted Aussie cousin to Spam? If the former, I've got some. Plus, I had some "camp pie" a while back (ok, it was a Kiwi product, but 'tis close), used it. No Foster's though, since I don't drink beer. And I'm sure at least some folks here have some Australian wines in the ol' wine cellar, 'specially since they're reputed to be fairly good.

Now, I WOULD like to have a Triton Router for my table, and I've got a few Mel Gibson movies, does that count? Plus, the "new" Pontiac GTO (a Holden in a Pontiac suit) looks like a slambang winner.

Jason Roehl
03-21-2003, 6:41 PM
Rob, if it's any consolation, I will say that Foster's does occasionally take up residence in my fridge. However, it rarely stays there for very long. ;)

Too many other things I'm too lazy to do that are far more important than checking the country of origin on my tools--may have to go find some Foster's.

Jason

Simon St.Laurent
03-22-2003, 9:52 AM
Yep, I've got those Triton workstands. Work wonderfully, too. Don't know how I could have missed that bright orange paint. The router would be cool too, but someday...

No vegemite here, though.