PDA

View Full Version : New Guy, with pics

mark kosse
05-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Hello Folks! I joined a while back in part because I wanted to share a toolchest I own with others who can appreciate it. I'm a MS woodshop teacher, sometimes bamboo rod builder, net maker, furniture maker, etc. I don't have many fancy LN hand tools, mostly just vintage Stanley tuned real nice.

A few years ago a friend was moving the the hill country and he asked if I wanted to buy this. My answer was I'm on my way. When I got it home my wife asked where I was going to put it and I replied "In the den", where it sits for me to enjoy every day. It is in great condition and even has the original packing list and the hand drill still has all it's bits in wax paper, in the handle.

I hope the pics load and you all enjoy them. Mark

mark kosse
05-29-2009, 10:42 AM
is there a way to make them so you can see larger images?

Jim Koepke
05-29-2009, 11:35 AM
is there a way to make them so you can see larger images?

I am not sure if one has to be a contributor or if there is some other reason. We used to have to shrink our pictures to fit the bit limit. Just recently the site software was upgraded to do the conversion.

Hope one of the moderators answers, this looks like a nice set.

jim

John Keeton
05-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Your pics are only 100x66 pixels. The pics I post are 720x whatever, which produces about an 8"x10" pic. They enlarge fairly well on my posts. I have not used the conversion software, so I am not sure how it works.

Looks like it will be neat to see - once we can see it:D

Welcome, BTW!

Lee Schierer
05-29-2009, 12:54 PM
I have not used the conversion software, so I am not sure how it works.

The photo upload software works very well. It resizes larger files to fit the size limitation and allows them to enlarge when viewed. I've not had any problems with it.

mark kosse
05-29-2009, 1:28 PM
Is the photo upload software here on this site? When I first tried to post this the pics failed and when asking in the forum help section I was told I needed to reduce the size to 107 pix or smaller, so I did. My camera is 10MP so the pics are kinda big.

mark kosse
05-29-2009, 2:06 PM
I resized them larger but I guess not too large. I believe this to be from the 20's, or at least that's what my friend told me. You all may know better than me. If you see in pic 2, down in the corner, that's the original packing list. It's a pic of the cabinet, contents and model #'s. The only real flaw with the chest is the pliers are missing and boy are the hard to find. About 40% of the Stanley water adhesive label remains.

mark kosse
05-29-2009, 2:26 PM
Rotation, it's a wonderful thing. This is a pic of the box joints and a handle. It weights about 75# so portability was a matter of opinion I guess. You can also see the packing list better in pic 2.

Dan Karachio
05-29-2009, 5:42 PM
Rotation, it's a wonderful thing. This is a pic of the box joints and a handle. It weights about 75# so portability was a matter of opinion I guess. You can also see the packing list better in pic 2.

I was going to say, that is some box if it can hold all those tools on it's side! :-)

Seriously, that's great. I know the feeling. I have a quarter sawn oak machinists tool chest from the 1920's - you know, with all the drawers, the little mirror under the lid, the felt... They sell new ones somewhat like it for hundreds and hundreds, but I have to see one that has the grain on mine. Got it at some flea market years ago for $50! It was literally black, but cleaned up super.

Jim Koepke
05-29-2009, 7:47 PM
Your pics are only 100x66 pixels. The pics I post are 720x whatever, which produces about an 8"x10" pic. They enlarge fairly well on my posts. I have not used the conversion software, so I am not sure how it works.

Looks like it will be neat to see - once we can see it:D

Welcome, BTW!

There is nothing to using the new software. Just select the picture and it does all the work automagically.

jim

mark kosse
06-02-2009, 8:40 AM
It may do it automaticly, but it wouldn't work with my pics untill I made them smaller.

Jim Koepke
06-02-2009, 11:58 AM
It may do it automaticly, but it wouldn't work with my pics untill I made them smaller.

Maybe it has to do with yours being 10MP. Mine are only 6MP and seem to work fine. I used to have to reduce them with my own software. Now, the .jpg files saved direct from the camera work.

jim

Jerry Olexa
11-04-2015, 10:30 PM
That is a beautiful collection and container.I am envious.

Mike Cherry
11-05-2015, 7:02 AM
I need a refresher on my vintage chisels are those 720's? They look as if no hands have ever seduced them!

lowell holmes
11-05-2015, 9:35 AM
We all had to figure it out, but it looks like you did.:)

mark kosse
11-05-2015, 3:37 PM
Wow, this one was drug up from the depths. I still enjoy that box every day as I now have it next to my bed. As I recall the chisels are 750's and have not been used. The hammer, zigzag, pliers(MIA), level and tri were the only used items. In 8 years searching I've never been able to find a proper vintage pair of Stanley pliers.

By the way, the chest/set is mid 50's. Also missing was the original catalog and I located one using the packing list pic. It was a '55 catalog, no. 34, of course.

Karl Andersson
11-06-2015, 8:32 AM
Post a picture of the ones you want, including the logo if known; lots of us have probably walk right by a suitable pair on rust hunts. I pick up (not collect) antique pliers and such that have decorative milling/ casting for the grips, and even nice ones are usually a buck or less.
Karl

mark kosse
11-12-2015, 6:55 PM
Post a picture of the ones you want, including the logo if known; lots of us have probably walk right by a suitable pair on rust hunts. I pick up (not collect) antique pliers and such that have decorative milling/ casting for the grips, and even nice ones are usually a buck or less.
Karl

Karl, thanks for the nice offer. I went to the '55 catalog and strangely, it doesn't have list pliers. I'm copying the catalog description that just lists "pliers" in the tool list.

Guys, help finding a pair would be appreciated. You don't know how many pairs I've picked up, and now own, over the years. Nary a stanley pair.

mark kosse
11-12-2015, 7:00 PM
I need a refresher on my vintage chisels are those 720's? They look as if no hands have ever seduced them!

Mike, it looks like the 1" was used but not the others. Sorry for the sideways pics. They're upright on this ipad and the orientation of the screen is locked.

Jim Koepke
11-12-2015, 7:42 PM
Here is a picture taken of a page from the John Walter book on Stanley Tools:

The handles look rather distinctive. I believe I have seen them in real life, but that was many years in the past.

Read the note on model #5.

jtk

mark kosse
11-12-2015, 7:54 PM
Here is a picture taken of a page from the John Walter book on Stanley Tools:

The handles look rather distinctive. I believe I have seen them in real life, but that was many years in the past.

Read the note on model #5.

jtk

thanks jim! But now this ain't going to be any easier. Does it say what time period this was happening in because I thought sw ended long before. I'd find it hard to beleave they'd make special pliers just for these boxed sets.

Jim Koepke
11-12-2015, 8:05 PM
thanks jim! But now this ain't going to be any easier. Does it say what time period this was happening in because I thought sw ended long before. I'd find it hard to beleave they'd make special pliers just for these boxed sets.

You are welcome.

The book usually gives a date range. It looks like all the pliers were all manufactured in 1934 and only in that year. One of the type studies suggest the SW mark was dropped in 1932.

It may have been some had the mark and some didn't. They may have had a large stock on hand of a tool that wasn't selling during tough times.

Just a possibility, but it could also be an error in the book

Best bet may be to watch for garage sales, estate sales and flea markets.

jtk

mark kosse
11-12-2015, 9:05 PM
Well... These are mid 50's so I'm thinking no sw logo. That must be for an older box. I think I just need a pair that say stanley. I do have one pair I found but someone had ground the gripper teeth off the inside of them, so the search continues.

Mike Cherry
11-12-2015, 10:33 PM
Mike, it looks like the 1" was used but not the others. Sorry for the sideways pics. They're upright on this ipad and the orientation of the screen is locked.
Those are so nice. I could only hope to find such excellent examples.