PDA

View Full Version : Simple Collared Hollow Form

Alan Trout
05-29-2009, 9:43 AM
I have not been getting much turning time the last month but I had a little time on Monday of this week. This is a piece of Silver Maple that I found on the side of the road during one of our city's brush collection day's. The collar is Eucalyptus. The form was hand hollowed to a fairly consistent 3/16" thick. Overall dimension is right at 6 1/2" across and about 2 3/4" overall height. The finish is what I call a burnished lacquer. Not quite satin or gloss, just a nice luster.

It is not the most exciting piece of wood but I am happy with the overall look and feel of it. Wish my photos were better. About the best I can do with my little cheap point and shoot.

I did this in celebration of me ordering a Monster Articulated Hollowing Rig. (stealth gloat) I don't mind hand hollowing other than the fact that I destroy about 25% of what I make trying to get to thin without a laser. I hope to have it in about 3 weeks.http://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
05-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Alan - good looking hollow form! Great shape! Interesting collar - changes the entire look of the piece!

Congrats on ordering your new hollowing system! You will be amazed at the difference it makes! Looking forward to seeing photos of your new system once it arrives!

Have fun!

Steve Frederick
05-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Very pretty!
How did you add the collar? Turn base, then add the collar?

Chris Rae
05-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Nice HF, I like the collar. Very pretty piece!

Richard Madison
05-29-2009, 2:17 PM
Nice work Alan, and really pretty decent pictures too. Turning first, then photography. That's a whole 'nuther vortex.

Bernie Weishapl
05-29-2009, 3:05 PM
Thats a beauty Alan. Really like the form.

Alan Trout
05-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all the nice words. I really appreciate it. Steve yes the vessel was turned separately from the collar. The collar was applied and then finished.

Thanks,

Alan

John W Dixon
05-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Alan, that just has a very pleasing look to it. Nice job!

John

Jim Kountz
05-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Great shape and the collar really sets it off. Well done!!