PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding batteries

Stephen Sebed
05-29-2009, 3:38 AM
Both batteries on my old craftsman 18v drill have died and buying new batteries looks to be expensive. I've been reading about the different ways to rebuild cordless tool batteries and I think I want to buy the individual cells and rebuild the packs myself. Where would be a good site to order the cells from? Also do you guys have any advice or tips and tricks on how to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Stephen

Jason Roehl
05-29-2009, 7:18 AM
Yep--pay to have it done. Rebuilders can get their cells wholesale, so for what the cells will cost you, you can have it done. Problem #2 is that just soldering connecting tabs onto the cells will shorten their life considerably, due to the heat. A properly rebuilt battery will have spot-welded tabs, and there is something done to help keep the heat down, it may even be a certain type of welder.

I got a couple of my 14.4V packs done for $35 each. A quick check of the internet, I found sub-C cells for about $3 per--that's $33 in cells, before shipping.

Doug Shepard
05-29-2009, 7:50 AM
Double check eBay. I had one of the batteries on my cordless give up the ghost and I was able to get a used/tested one on eBay for cheaper than what I could get a rebuilt one for.

Anthony Whitesell
05-29-2009, 8:06 AM
I was able to buy 24 sub-c cells to rebuild my Craftsman drill for only $2.15 per cell ($59 including shipping to rebuild 2 battery packs). That included doubling the amp-hour capacity (run time) and the batteries came with the solder tabs. I would only attempt to rebuilding a battery pack if the case was easy to get apart (ie., screwed together). If it isn't, I'd let a professional deal with it.

Byron Trantham
05-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Try this location:
http://www.primecell.com/what.htm

I had the batteries on my dewalts done there and the rebuild for the 9.6V was done in Feb of 05 are still going strong!