PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing rigs? monster?

jason lambert
05-29-2009, 3:19 AM
I am looking to get set up with a holling rig. I have bought some of the monster stucc inthe past and have been happy with the quality.
http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/
I am looking at his big hollowing set up with the articulating arm and the steady. Does anyone have this I would love a quick review or a pm. Also is there anything eles I should consider. If I do go with this does it come with everything I will ever need or should I get some other cutters/scrapers etc. I know that is a loaded question. I don't see a hook tool in there but that may not be necessory.

sascha gast
05-29-2009, 5:32 AM
I just received my articulated arm last week and I am so impressed, I can't stop using it. if I could figure out how to use it for flat work I would be golden.

I bought the full set of scrapers and cutters Randy offers, one day I might also get the captured rig, but I already have one, so not right now.

the arm is so smooth and the laser is easy to work with, you will not regret getting it.
if you already have a hook tool, you could mount it in the arm and use it, it fits all my cutters I already own.

good luck, let us know when you get it

jason lambert
05-29-2009, 6:49 AM
I have no hollowing tools right now I have been mootching off a friend and tend to like the hook. I just got into this hobbie but like everything else I tend to jump in head first. Also I do alot of woodwork so I know I like this and it complments my hobbie, best off I don't have to buy crummy wood atthe borg. I just want to get the best most compleat thing I can so tired of turning around and needing something else and putting projects on hold.

Burt Alcantara
05-29-2009, 9:03 AM
I have the articulated arm. It comes with more then you'll ever need. I still have cutters I've never used. As far as a hook, I've never used one and don't feel I'm missing any cutters with the articulated arm system.

If you want additional cutters, either you can buy something like the 3/16" Hunter or call Randy and ask him to make you something. When I got my system, it came with a round cutter. I couldn't get it to do anything. I asked Randy about this. He sent a different cutter for smoothing the insides and it worked great.

Randy stands behind his products and is very accommodating. If you decide to get the captured system at a later date, all of your cutters and laser will fit it so you will not be required to buy another complete system.

Steve Schlumpf
05-29-2009, 9:24 AM
Jason - I have both of Randy's hollowing systems and can't imagine a better product!

I've never used a hook tool but have no problem using the square bits on end grain. I like the option of having both systems and find that most of the time I use the captured for roughing out a form and the articulated for all the final cuts. The more I use the systems and know what I can do with them, the more I find I switch between them multiple times on the same hollow form. It takes less than 2 minutes to totally change systems and get back to hollowing!