PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts...a colander?

Mark Norman
05-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Just imagine for a moment if you will...

I turn a bowl, a nice solid curved funnel shaped bowl.

Then before I finish it, I take it to the table saw:eek:, and with a well thought out jig, I proceed to cut slits in it....
I would set the jig so the piece remained stationary and just raise the blade into the work to cut the slit. Just rotate the piece in the jig and cut another slit kinda thing.

I'll have to find a piece of scrap to play with on this idea....

Scott Mark
05-29-2009, 12:39 AM
How about band saw, thinnest blade possible, into numerous strips, wide...thin. wide..thin...etc. When putting back together (this is where it'd get tricky) take the thin parts and saw out the holes.

Other idea is to get a drill press and a jig to hold/position the bowl, then move the bowl 3/8 or 1/4 inch foward/backwards and repeat by adjusting the drill press table. Obviously need a sacrificial piece of wood too. Just thoughts.

Mark Norman
05-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Thats what Im thinking...outside the box;)

Segmented, turn rough and cut into slices then glue it back together with voids then finish turn? Interesting.....

Jeff Bower
05-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Mark, I've heard of people using a biscut cutter to make slices for inlay work on bowls...might work for this too. You could make a jig and do in on the lathe with a router probably too.

Scott Mark
05-29-2009, 1:19 PM
Hay, new use for the Festool Domino! Holes might be a bit too big though.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-29-2009, 1:29 PM
Hey....Tibbets and others got famous for segmenting and then turning....

Maybe you can get famous for turning and then segmenting......wait a minute.....Tibbets and others are doing that already......turning...segmenting....returning.... .

Mike Minto
05-29-2009, 1:43 PM
drilling holes in it might be easier, and just as effective - i like the biscuit joiner idea, though.

Richard Madison
05-29-2009, 1:56 PM
Mark,
Sound like you have just reinvented the open stave, compound stave bowl without the open, compound staves. Might be interesting.

Scott Conners
05-29-2009, 3:53 PM
When I saw your thread title I immediately thought of a pierced bowl...either by hand or in a regular pattern using a drill jig like Oneway's and an indexing attachment.

Mark Norman
05-29-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't want to simply drill holes in a bowl, I wanted the look of the slits. I guess it would have a lot to do with the shape of the bowl to begin with.

Just some food for thought at this point. The vortex has a hold of me bad like:D:D