PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaws -- Bosch vs Festool

Michael O'Sullivan
05-28-2009, 7:16 PM
I currently have an older Bosch B4200 jigsaw that I am thinking about retiring. My only real complaint about it is the blade deflection -- other than that it is an excellent saw. However the deflection issue makes cutting accurate curves in anything thicker than 3/4" difficult, if not impossible.

I understand that both the Bosch 1590/91 and Festool have lower blade guides that minimize deflection. The Bosch is about $145 on Amazon, and the Festool is $310.

Is the Festool significantly superior to the Bosch in terms of performance? Dust collection on a jigsaw is not a big issue for me.

Also, are the Festool blades proprietary, or does is accept standard blades?

Jason White
05-28-2009, 7:50 PM
I chose the Bosch over the Festool simply because it feels better in my hand. I got the barrel grip.

No blade deflection whatsoever. It will take Festool blades just fine. Dust collection works great, too.

Jason

I currently have an older Bosch B4200 jigsaw that I am thinking about retiring. My only real complaint about it is the blade deflection -- other than that it is an excellent saw. However the deflection issue makes cutting accurate curves in anything thicker than 3/4" difficult, if not impossible.

I understand that both the Bosch 1590/91 and Festool have lower blade guides that minimize deflection. The Bosch is about $145 on Amazon, and the Festool is $310.

Is the Festool significantly superior to the Bosch in terms of performance? Dust collection on a jigsaw is not a big issue for me.

Also, are the Festool blades proprietary, or does is accept standard blades?

Michael O'Sullivan
05-28-2009, 7:52 PM
Jason -- thanks.

I actually meant to ask whether the Festool saw would accept standard blades -- in re-reading my post, I see how it was ambiguous.

Phil Phelps
05-28-2009, 7:52 PM
You would have to be the judge. I have no experience with Festool products. The Bosch barrel jig saw I have is a great saw. I hate D handles on any jig saw. I've cut one inch MDF with good success. I'm not in the shop, but mine looks like the 1584AVSK but it might be different since it's about ten years old. I love the reverse tooth blades.

Eric Larsen
05-28-2009, 7:54 PM
I love my 1590. But it is not as often used as it once was (I'm not doing a lot that calls for a jigsaw.) Hold all three and see which you prefer.

Brian Kent
05-28-2009, 8:09 PM
I am totally happy with the reconditioned Bosch 1590 for $129. Under warrantee and clean and scratch-free.

http://bosch.cpotools.com/saws/jig_saws/corded_jig_saws/1590evsk-rt.html

No deflection. Festool might be even better but I cannot imagine how!

Michael O'Sullivan
05-28-2009, 8:10 PM
So do Festool jigsaws take standard blades?

Bob Aquino
05-28-2009, 8:13 PM
I have two jigsaws, a Bosch cordless and a Metabo barrel saw. Both do a wonderful job for me. Both accept the t shank blades, though the blade release on the Bosch is much easier to use. Festool makes some great stuff, but in this case I think you would be more than satisfied with the Bosch.

Joel Goodman
05-28-2009, 8:29 PM
Not to hijack but there seem to be two Bosch barrel grip jigsaws available -- 1591 (the new model) and 1584 (the older one). Anyone have a preference?

Richard Wolf
05-28-2009, 8:39 PM
Yes, Festool takes the Bosch blades. I have both, Bosch and Festool barrel grips. I like Festool tools, but don't think the price of the jig saw is worth it on this one. Go for the Bosch.

Richard

Michael O'Sullivan
05-28-2009, 8:45 PM
Yes, Festool takes the Bosch blades. I have both, Bosch and Festool barrel grips. I like Festool tools, but don't think the price of the jig saw is worth it on this one. Go for the Bosch.

Check and mate. Too bad, in a way. I have been looking for a good excuse to but a Festool.

Jason White
05-28-2009, 8:50 PM
The Festool saw takes any t-shank type blade.

Jason

Jason -- thanks.

I actually meant to ask whether the Festool saw would accept standard blades -- in re-reading my post, I see how it was ambiguous.

Eric Larsen
05-28-2009, 8:50 PM
Check and mate. Too bad, in a way. I have been looking for a good excuse to but a Festool.

Replacing your circular saw with the Festool is ALWAYS a good excuse. :)

Every time I use mine, I think to myself, "Why didn't I buy this earlier?"

Jason White
05-28-2009, 8:51 PM
You really can't go wrong with either. Both are top flight tools.

Jason

Todd Young
05-28-2009, 8:58 PM
I like my 1590. It's the D grip model. I've got no complaints with it. Don't use it a lot for 3/4" + thickness' often, though. If I do its usually MDF it gets used on and it does a good job, IMO. I mainly use it for making spec designed cornice boards for my wife's biz, which mostly is 1/2 thickness' therabouts, but it handles those tight cuts well. Not sure if my mainly 1/2" application use helps you any. If you're looking for info on how it handles thicker/harder wood, I don't use it in that capacity much at all so I may not be adding any info of use here. Can't speak to Festool as I've never owned any, but they do have a great rep. I paid about $120 or so new for the Bosch a couple of years ago from Lowes. I also agree Bob's comment on the ease of the blade release.

Chris Kennedy
05-28-2009, 9:24 PM
I have the 1587 and have used the 1590. They are both great saws, though the 1590 blade release is much more convenient. Can't go wrong with it.

Haven't used the Festool.

Cheers,

Chris

Jim Becker
05-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Michael, I own the Festool. It's a nice tool. In fact, it was my first Festool. But I think this is one place where the Bosch (with the blade guides) is probably a better choice....many folks have made that observation. Excellent performance, etc., The Festool may have an edge in controlling the blade better for very thick cuts, but otherwise there isn't a huge differentiation. Now, I'm not going to go and sell my Festool to get a Bosch...I like it and it does everything I ask of it.

Clifford Mescher
05-28-2009, 11:12 PM
My Bosch 1582VS barrel type saw is around 20 years old and still performs great. Clifford.

glenn bradley
05-28-2009, 11:57 PM
+1 on the 1591. Love it. Never knew a jigsaw was an acurate tool before I got this.

Mike Henderson
05-29-2009, 1:30 AM
+1 on the 1591. Love it. Never knew a jigsaw was an acurate tool before I got this.
I may have to spring for the Bosch. The DeWalt jigsaw I have now is a piece of junk. Going around a turn, the blade cuts at at slant, especially if the stock is a bit thick.

Mike

Eric Larsen
05-29-2009, 1:51 AM
I may have to spring for the Bosch. The DeWalt jigsaw I have now is a piece of junk. Going around a turn, the blade cuts at at slant, especially if the stock is a bit thick.

Mike

You won't be disappointed. And you'll find yourself reaching for a jigsaw FAR more often -- especially with those new Bosch "fine cutting" wood blades. They have a different tooth profile near the top where all the damage is normally done.

The Bosch jigsaw is one of those tools that falls into the "When I need it. I need it" category. It's not quite up to the "You can have my router when you pry it from my cold, dead hands" standard. But if the jigsaw died tomorrow, I'd buy a replacement immediately.

John Thompson
05-29-2009, 11:37 AM
I have had about 5 tools manufacturers labeled as jig-saws over 38 years but... I didn't know what a jig-saw was until I purchased a Bosch barrel grip about 6 years ago. The others were given away as I would have felt guilty selling them claiming they were jig-saws. :)

With that said.. I tried the FT at IWF.. I prefer the Bosch. And as far as putting FT blades on the Bosch, Bosch makes the best jig-saw blades on the market. With the addition a year or so ago of the Bosch Extra Clean.. you can't go wrong as that blade leaves a perfect finish on both top and bottom exit. It's the only blade I buy for wood now but I do cut metal with my barrel grip using Bosch blades also. I have cut a ton of templates out with the combination.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Erik Frederiksen
05-29-2009, 12:08 PM
I have owned Bosch jig saws off and on for many years. I currently have the barrel grip (1591) and can attest that it is a fine tool.

Last year I bought a new Festool jigsaw, also a barrel grip. I returned it a week later. I didn't like how you can't see the cut line with the dust collecting cover in place.

As far as other functionality goes, the two saws seem very close to me, so the price difference makes getting the Bosch a no-brainer decision.

I do own and appreciate a lot of Festool's other products.

Quinn McCarthy
05-29-2009, 1:57 PM
I have had my Bosch jig saw almost 20 years. It cuts as true as the day I got it. I haven't stuck a cent into it. I like the d handle. That is just a personal preferrence. I don't have a bandsaw so it gets a work out. I have a friend that has 3 of the same age in his cabinet shop. They are still going great guns too.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

Chuck Isaacson
05-30-2009, 11:01 PM
I am not trying to hijack the thread, but what about other types of barrel grip saws like the Makita? Are they any good?

Jason White
05-31-2009, 6:42 AM
I have the dust-collection clear plastic cover on my Bosch (similar to the Festool one) and you can't see the cutline with it on, either.

Jason

I have owned Bosch jig saws off and on for many years. I currently have the barrel grip (1591) and can attest that it is a fine tool.

Last year I bought a new Festool jigsaw, also a barrel grip. I returned it a week later. I didn't like how you can't see the cut line with the dust collecting cover in place.

As far as other functionality goes, the two saws seem very close to me, so the price difference makes getting the Bosch a no-brainer decision.

I do own and appreciate a lot of Festool's other products.

Don Dorn
05-31-2009, 9:51 AM
A friend has the Bosch and just got the Festool. After using both, I can say that in my opinion, the Festool is certainly nice, but it isn't any better or cut any nicer than the Bosch.

Mike Henderson
06-04-2009, 1:56 PM
One more question on jigsaws, please. Is there a cordless jig saw that works as well as the Bosch 1590/91? I'll even settle for "close to" as good as the 1590/91. There a times when I prefer to not have to deal with the cord.

I have a DeWalt cordless jigsaw and it's *censored*.

Mike

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-04-2009, 2:09 PM
Dust control = Festool
Otherwise Bosh

Loren Hedahl
06-04-2009, 10:02 PM
In guided circular saws, most sanders and the loose tenon Domino, Festool is way ahead of the game, in my opinion. In other tools, they may also be ahead -- but not enough for my hard earned cash.

I considered the Festool jig saw, but after looking it and the Bosch over carefully, my money went to Bosch. The fact that it was about half as much money was a very big factor, I might add!

Jeremy Brant
06-05-2009, 10:43 AM
I know this is a bosch vs festool thing, but just to throw one other good option out there, I've got the milwaukee 6268-21 (d handle). It's nearly vibration free, accepts the t-shank blades, and has excellent guides. It's got a blower and led light, so I've never had any trouble following a cut line with it. My last jigsaw (still have it), was a $30 skil that couldn't make a straight cut for anything. I kept it for using on stuff I wouldn't want to subject the milwaukee to, but the upgrade was more than worth it.

Vinny Miseo
06-08-2009, 2:51 AM
Does anyone know if the Collins Coping Foot will fit on a Trion?

Michael O'Sullivan
06-19-2009, 5:58 PM
OK -- so I bought a Bosch with the barrel grip.

I tried doing a test cut with one of the fancy-pants 308B (I think) blades with the "precision control" engaged. It pulled very hard to the left, and when I looked at the blade, the precision control had taken a gouge out of one side.

What did I do wrong? The manual indicates that the ZCI only works with certain blades, but didn't say anything about the precision control. The blade seemed to have been properly set into the saw.

Chris Tsutsui
06-19-2009, 8:08 PM
Everyone has their own preferences though I feel as though Bosch has made the "industry standard" jigsaw for quite some time.

I started with an old Black and decker Jigsaw, then got a Bosch 80's model with D-handle. That thing won't die. (though I will let it go for $20 if I find a buyer, heh)

Just a week ago I springed for a new 1590 EVSK and it's definitely a keeper. It's heavier than the other jigsaws I have, but that translates to less vibration which is nice.

I know one professional contractor who told me not to get the Hilti or the Festool jigsaw but to get the Bosch, (even if cost was no object). His reasoning was that he's used them both professionally and for line of contracting, the Bosch just "feels" better.

A jigsaw was the first power tool I purchased (in High school) and I used it for metal, plastics, and wood. It's one of my favorite tools and I still reach for it quite often instead of grabbing a hand saw.