PDA

View Full Version : Please Help

James Harrison
05-28-2009, 4:12 PM
I have a table that my grandson's mother has that was given to her by her grandmother. I am including pictures. It is walnut and the hardware is very old. the top of the table opens and rotates to fit the base and make a larger table. It could be a game table or some other type that changed from a hall table to a larger table when needed. One picture shows where her dog grace chewed it. The leg is glued on to the aprons and the mortice is open at the top. It would not be too hard to make the leg but I don't have experience in removing old glue. All the legs are firmly attached and they still have a strong glue bond.I think it came from the late 18th cent.
What is the best way to unglue the leg?
Ijust started woodworking a few years ago and some things are new to me. Didn't have the time until I was 73 to start.
I am attaching two pictures. The hardware on the table looks like the old federal eagle type hardware.
James

GERALD HARGROVE
05-28-2009, 4:16 PM
Possibly assembled with Hide glue, if so, use a heat gun and the glue will let loose.

Andy Bardowell
05-28-2009, 4:31 PM
As soon as you said “late 18th cent” James my first thought was you should have it appraised prior to doing any work. You never know, you may unknowingly have a gem there and a professional restoration may be in order.

Lee Mitchell
05-28-2009, 4:35 PM
If it's hide glue, white vinegar will soften it. That's what I used to take apart my mother's Hoosier cabinet so I could make repairs. Used a medicine dropper and a vet needle to inject the vinegar into the joints. Even used it to soak off the fabric backer for the roll up door. Warm vinegar works best.

So if heat doesn't do it for you, try vinegar. BTW, that'll also soften some of the yellow glue that aren't designed to be water resistant.

Lee in NC

James Harrison
05-28-2009, 5:48 PM
I will try the warm vinegar. I don't have a heat gun and don't think I would use one enough to buy one.
Thanks very much for the quick response.
I have looked closer and it is not walnut but mahogany.

harry strasil
05-28-2009, 7:48 PM
I remember a table on Antiques roadshow, that a lady bought for I think $20, it was appraised on the show at $125,000, it brought over $170,000 on auction, she cleaned it with turpentine, so did not damage the patina.

On another occasion, a nice piece was refinished to get rid of the old Yucky, Shellac finish, it was appraised at $5,000, if it had not been refinished it would have been worth over $50,000.

$20

James Harrison
05-28-2009, 11:38 PM
I appreciate the information. That one leg has to be replaced and the top has a lot of damage. Also the front has been bubbled because someone set it too close to the fire place or stove. I will try to find an appraiser who can look at it before I work on it.