PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments...PIC...

Dennis Peacock
08-16-2004, 11:28 AM
Well....another weekend has come and gone. I don't mind though.!!!!
<b> I'm not oncall any more, and won't be going back oncall for a while!!</B> :D :D :D

I start a new work schedule this week, Wednesday thru Saturday, 2PM to Midnight and I don't pull oncall duty because I'm working a schedule that will benefit the entire team and the oncall person each week by reducing the number of hours they are on the "hook". Not too long ago, you would start work at 8AM on Friday and you worked 24 by 7 until 8AM on Monday. You see, we have 7 people on our team supporting some 200+ backup servers. Trust me....when you were oncall?.....you were awake almost all the time working until Monday morning. Well, due to various members of our team volunteering to work (odd shifts)...we have reduced the number of oncall hours by a huge factor. My new work schedule give me a 3 day weekend every week, it just starts at midnight Saturday and I don't go back to work until 2PM on Wednesday. Can anyone say, Shop Time.!!! ;) :D

What I did this weekend? I done a little turning, we got the master bath done for now and I worked on the sewing machine restoration project. Sewing machine pic is <a href="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11278">here.</a>

So what did you do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.......

Jim Ketron
08-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Great job on the cedar bowl Dennis!

I didn't do much on the new shop made my doors and painted them, still have to do the trim on them. and clean up and do the electrical.
Jim

John M. Cioffi
08-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Awesome bowl,Dennis.
How does your shop smell? I'm assuming that is aromatic cedar?

John

Ken Fitzgerald
08-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Great bowl!

Tyler Howell
08-16-2004, 1:23 PM
Glad to here about your work schedule! It don't do much for dating and family, life but it's consistant and no call. Nice Bowl.;)

Working the punch list again, cleaning up a lot of projects. Took the new Bostich N62 FN for a ride this weekend. Really like the light weight of the the gun.
Short work week. Headed out of town on vacation.:D

Wes Bischel
08-16-2004, 2:00 PM
Nice bowl Dennis - looks it might have been a challenge with the knots etc.

No shop time this weekend. Celebrated 12 years with LOML on Sunday. It really doesn't seem that long. I hope to get my bandsaw base done this week because I need to build a base for the new planer and my lathe as well :rolleyes:

Wes

Jim Becker
08-16-2004, 2:25 PM
Excellent bowl, Dennis.

My weekend was a little of this and a little of that. Since my dad does the "dance of joy" to be able to play on the Kubota, he took care of the lawn other than the portion right on the road that I didn't feel comfortable letting him tackle. So I got some shop time in instead, cleaning up after the planer stand construction from the weekend before, working on the doors for a bookcase in the kitchen as well as finishing off the bottom of the bubinga platter with the leaf carving I pre-viewed here awhile back. (That's the first I've been on the spinny thing for way too long...) General faddling, for the most part.

DVD of the week was The Station Agent, which was a really interesting film with a lot of unique characters. I'd enjoy seeing any of the actors again.

Carole Valentine
08-16-2004, 2:51 PM
Nice looking bowl! I have wondered how our Eastern (Aromatic) Red Cedar would turn since it is so knotty, but it looks like you had no problem at all with the knots! Guess I will keep those chunks from a tree I cut down, just in I stumble across a deal on a lathe!;)

Alan Tolchinsky
08-16-2004, 3:13 PM
Dennis. How hard is that wood to turn? Inquiring minds need to know. Alan in Md.

keith zimmerman
08-16-2004, 3:19 PM
Unfortunately, the closest I got to wood was when I mounted a piece of curly maple on my lathe and when I opened the carton containing a new 3/8" fingernail bowl gouge. Most of my weekend was spent doing &^%&* paperwork.

keithz

BTW. Nice bowl Dennis. Cedar actually turns quite nicely (with sharp tools).

Enjoy that vacation Tyler. I'll be up in the cities again over Labor Day. Hopefully, I will have a chance to contact you this time.

Mark J Bachler
08-16-2004, 3:20 PM
I got the windows in the addition on the house and trimmed with cedar, all 16 of them.

Chris Padilla
08-16-2004, 3:21 PM
Nice job on the bowl, Dennis, very cool what Mother Nature did with that cedar...lucky you that you found it within the tree!! :D

I got some electrical rerouted. Why o' why does EVERYTHING take like 10x the amount of time and work that I think it should??? What the heck is going on?? I work and work and work and work and then it's Sunday evening already and I got 1/10th done what I wanted or thought I should! Wait, I know what it is: it is called a kid!! :D

I have a plumber coming in Friday morning to massage my gas-lines so I am a happy camper about that. Once done, I will be able to do a few other things I've been putting off because the gas-lines weren't done yet.

Oh, and the cord for the mower finally snapped in two and so it took an extra 2.5 hours to start the mower!! I couldn't even reach the little pulley the cord was on because the houseing was spot-welded to the top of the mower. Had to drill those out, and then go get some appropriately sized screws to resecure it. Sigh...and I cut the new mower line too short but was able to start the mower on the slightly shorter pull. We'll see if I end redoing the whole thing...I'm a pro at it now! :rolleyes:

Steven Wilson
08-16-2004, 3:21 PM
That sounds like a decent schedule and the bowl looks great. BTW did you get your new bass? How's that working out? As for my weekend, the family went out shopping. Ended up getting the birthday present in the picture. Will pick it up on Wednesday. The only difference is mine won't have a kicker , is red, and the motor is a 140HP Johnson - watch out Mr. Pike.

Tyler Howell
08-16-2004, 3:46 PM
[QUOTE=Chris Padilla]
Why o' why does EVERYTHING take like 10x the amount of time and work that I think it should??? What the heck is going on?? I work and work and work and work and then it's Sunday evening already and I got 1/10th done what I wanted or thought :D
Hang in the bud. Tyler's rule for home repairs "2X Money 4X the Time you planned";)

JayStPeter
08-16-2004, 4:08 PM
[QUOTE=Chris Padilla]
Why o' why does EVERYTHING take like 10x the amount of time and work that I think it should??? What the heck is going on?? I work and work and work and work and then it's Sunday evening already and I got 1/10th done what I wanted or thought :D
Hang in the bud. Tyler's rule for home repairs "2X Money 4X the Time you planned";)

Man, I guess I kicked some butt. I was only 2x-$ and 2x-time. It did seem like everything took 10x what I expected time wise though. Hiring the drywall brought my schedule down and $ up. So, definitely closer on the $ estimate.

This weekend I got some shop time thanks to Bonnie and Charleys leftovers. I worked some on a new 14' station for the shop a'la Norms miter saw station. I already had an 8' section done (except doors/drawers/shelves) and was working on a 4' section to go on the other side of the 2' miter saw area. Top glued up, carcase ready for glueup.

Have a good week.

Jay

Scott Coffelt
08-16-2004, 4:22 PM
No WWing time what so ever. A friend of my wife's got married, looked in the closet realized it has been many, many years since I wore a suit.... ummm, suit must of shrunk. :rolleyes:

So off to Men's Warehouse to get a suit, since it will have to fit for the evening wedding (same day alterations). Great experience and now I have one that fits. You guessed it wedding, Saturday night.

Sunday was spent with my parents and relaxing.

Nice boat, Nice bowl, and yes everything takes many times longer to finish.

James Carmichael
08-16-2004, 5:04 PM
Spent Saturday picking up cedar for SWMBOs pergola, took awhile since it requires 12' 4x4 posts, which I had to look around for and finally located on the far side of town. Cut tennons on the tops of the posts and wide dadoes in the lentels to mate with the tenons.

Now to come up with a nice, decorative pattern for the ends of the lentels and rafters.

Fred Voorhees
08-16-2004, 7:00 PM
After having added three coats of the base color on the new walls of the garage conversion, my better half and I did the faux finishing Saturday morning and due to a rain out of the nights dirt track stock car racing, I had all day to work on the room. That meant that I got to begin fabricating the soffit structures. Will have all of them (seven of them in all) hopefully ready for installation this coming Saturday when I will either be able to borrow a ductwork "ratcheting lift" from where I am currently working, OR, rent a drywall lift from the Big Orange Box for around $25-$30 for the day. Will make it much easier to lift the structures in place and really help in alleviating any dings and dents in the freshly painted walls. Don't know if you can see it from the attached photo, but the "sponging" of the walls did bring out an interesting pattern. Sort of like a "leather look". Didn't know if I liked it at first, but it came out pretty darned nice.

Sunday was reserved for both of us helping our son Jim move from one apartment to another which will put him much closer to his new high school teaching job. After that, phew, not much energy left for anything but watching a bit of telly.

John Miliunas
08-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Dennis, nice job on the bowl and congrats for working out the "no call" schedule! Judging from past posts, I'll bet you're just thrilled for that! :D

Tyler, while in the midst of some major house repairs around here, I've finally come to the conlcusion that the "2x$$, 4Xtime" rule no longer applies. I just "plan" on the stupid thing costing, at least, 3X and taking 6X as long! :mad: That way, if any of it comes in under that, I'd feel like I "saved" some! (Uh...hasn't happened, yet! :mad: )

Got a few things done, though. Finally took a bunch of the salvaged lumber from the porch teardown and recycled it into a sturdy step/platform outside the laundry-room door, got all the pull handles installed on LOML's sewing room cabinets (no, I did NOT make the cabs...That's why there are no pics!), fixed toilet (one of those 1hr. jobs turned into 4hrs.!), cut the grass, pulled major maintenance on the Deere, including pulling the deck and scraping/cleaning underside, burned shop trash, washed the car, milled up some lumber for future projects. In between, spent a lot of time trying to call daughter in the "hurricane alley", only to find out the lines were down! (She's OK.) :) Hope everyone has a great week! :cool:

PeterTorresani
08-16-2004, 11:16 PM
It's been so long since I've posted anything I needed to dust my keyboard. :) I finally got a few things completed this weekend ( I usually just get projects started).
1) The first corner fence is installed, and looks like it may survive the winter.
2) My sister came to visit for a day and she finally got her x-mas present. Is seven months to put on two coats of poly about average? :)
3) Got a second coat of poly on the window sashes (Marvin replaced all of our windows due to a exterior paint problem)

Brad Schmid
08-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Nice job on the bowl Dennis. What... no signature??? :)

Mostly yard/house work here... gotta do it once in awhile I suppose.
Did get maybe 30 minutes of shop time and roughed out a platter though.

Brad

Thomas Prondzinski
08-17-2004, 7:24 AM
Just got back last Thursday,2117 miles in 5 days,Sturgis,Big Horns,Bear Tooth Pass.Clean up bike,Then off to Millville,Mn Pro Motocross Nationals.Monday spent day with LOML. Back to work on Tuesday NO WWing.

Tom

Mark J Bachler
08-17-2004, 8:05 AM
That sounds like a decent schedule and the bowl looks great. BTW did you get your new bass? How's that working out? As for my weekend, the family went out shopping. Ended up getting the birthday present in the picture. Will pick it up on Wednesday. The only difference is mine won't have a kicker , is red, and the motor is a 140HP Johnson - watch out Mr. Pike.
Awesome boat!! I'm taking some time (every Friday & Monday) off in Oct. to fish walleyes on the Chippewa Flowage (Wis). Come on up!! Might have to throw a little bow hunting in there too.

Jack Diemer
08-17-2004, 10:21 AM
No shoptime this weekend, spent the weekend completely Jetlagged from my 1st trip to Australia and New Zealand. I recently took a new job within the company where I will begin doing some amount of International travel. So far, so good. :cool:

Scott Coffelt
08-17-2004, 7:42 PM
You could have at least sucked in the gut. :D

Company paid vacation is always nice, especially when its over seas.

Jack Diemer
08-18-2004, 9:38 AM
I am sucking in my gut. Some things you just can't hide. :o

Scott Coffelt
08-18-2004, 8:14 PM
That's OK, if I was standing there you wouldn't see the opera hall. :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
08-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Jack,

You appear to be "gettin' down and boogie'n" with those index fingers proud! :D

Hey, time for a new avatar!! :D

Jack Diemer
08-19-2004, 12:33 PM
So the one I took of myself with a camera phone just isn't cutting it. Done.

Rich Konopka
08-19-2004, 10:39 PM
I did not do anything in the shop but I sure gave my digi Reb a workout. I took 448 shots while at the X- Games and San Diego Zoo.

Robert Ducharme
08-19-2004, 10:48 PM
After having added three coats of the base color on the new walls of the garage conversion, my better half and I did the faux finishing Saturday morning and due to a rain out of the nights dirt track stock car racing, I had all day to work on the room. That meant that I got to begin fabricating the soffit structures. Will have all of them (seven of them in all) hopefully ready for installation this coming Saturday when I will either be able to borrow a ductwork "ratcheting lift" from where I am currently working, OR, rent a drywall lift from the Big Orange Box for around $25-$30 for the day. Will make it much easier to lift the structures in place and really help in alleviating any dings and dents in the freshly painted walls. Don't know if you can see it from the attached photo, but the "sponging" of the walls did bring out an interesting pattern. Sort of like a "leather look". Didn't know if I liked it at first, but it came out pretty darned nice.

Sunday was reserved for both of us helping our son Jim move from one apartment to another which will put him much closer to his new high school teaching job. After that, phew, not much energy left for anything but watching a bit of telly.

Where do you hook the air hose to that nailer?

Kelly C. Hanna
08-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Looks great Dennis! I love aromatic cedar.

This 'weekend' (the last two days I have had off), I prepped the old work truck for new clothes and sent it in....this is what I got back...

http://www.bowtiemadness.com/Buffalopaint.html

Jack Diemer
08-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Nice Kelly, blow in a Rhino, and add a hydrolic big screen TV on the back and you could create you own overhaulin show.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-21-2004, 6:35 PM
If I get a big screen it's goin' in my house...:D:D:D:D:D