PDA

View Full Version : Persimmon lumber

Lee Bidwell
05-28-2009, 1:22 PM
Hello all,

I'm a new member to the forum, but I can tell from just browsing that there are some great members on this site. I'm just a weekend hobbyist woodworker, but I have the good fortune to have a father-in-law with a couple hundred acres of timber here in north-central Mississippi and a portable bandsaw mill. We are about to mill some cherry for some office furniture I'm planning and, while scouting, we came across a nice sized (~12" dia) persimmon. From what I've read, persimmon can be hard to dry, but the result may be well worth the effort. Has anyone worked with this lumber? I'd like to make something small out of it, or maybe just inlays. Any advice on milling/airdrying would be appreciated. Also, anyone have pics of finished persimmon?

Jack Mincey
05-28-2009, 2:28 PM
I've dried a few pieces of persimmon. It dries about like dogwood. The pieces I dried were from a 7" tree. It cupped a lot, but did not split. Cut it a lot thicker than you need so that you can plan the cup out after it dries. It is one of the hardest woods in the USA. It takes finish well but is just kind of gray in color with straight grain. Here is a pic of a turkey call I made from one of the better piece's I had. The grain around the pith where a limb grew was very nice.
Jack
http://usera.ImageCave.com/flyrod444/IMGP5384.JPG

jim carter
05-28-2009, 3:36 PM
persimmon has been used for golf clubs[ woods] because of the hardness. i have never worked any myself.

Jim McFarland
05-28-2009, 4:18 PM
1st, welcome to SMC!

I made this persimmon mallet from a storm damaged tree I had to cut down. I rough turned it green and then used anchor seal on the ends. I still have a few checks. I air dried in a paper bag -- checking the weight over a few months until the weight was constant. Finish is Myland's friction polish -- built it more for sentimental reasons than to actually use!

jerry cousins
05-28-2009, 7:44 PM
i recently bought 2 rough 8/4 pieces - about 6' x 6-8". the pieces were pretty cupped, a little twisted, and had some end cracks - but once i cleaned it up and resawed it into some 4/4 it has stayed remarkably true and straight. i have not worked the cleaned-up pieces but the initial cutting felt very nice. so i think it is one of those that there is a lot of waste from tree down to usable boards.
jerry

Ron Jones near Indy
05-28-2009, 8:51 PM
You will probably think I'm half a bubble out of plumb, but I would rather have the tree and the fruit than the lumber. Persimmon pudding is one of the best of God's creations!