PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Steel Faceplates?

Mike Spanbauer
05-28-2009, 1:20 PM
I know many like Aluminum, but I'm a clutz and frankly I don't want the aluminum to become unusable after I drop it a time or two.

You can get these from the vendors but in many cases they are very expensive. Is there an alternate source that I don't know of to purchase these from? I need a few so I'm open to suggestions.

Surprised me that in my vast list of bookmarks I didn't have a link for these...

Enlighten me please :)

mike

David Walser
05-28-2009, 1:32 PM
Mike,

If I were in the market for steel faceplates (which I'm not), I'd give a long look at the "faceplate system" sold by Craft Supplies USA. It consists of a disk that threads onto a hub that screws onto the lathe spindle. Buy several disks, and you can leave the "faceplate" on the blank when moving from one project to another. One concern I have about the steel disks is they only have four screw holes. One of the first things I would do would be to drill some more screw holes at the drill press.

Here's the link: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Screw_Centers___Faceplates___F aceplate_System___faceplate_system?Args=

Judy Kingery
05-28-2009, 1:53 PM
Mike,

As David suggested, while I didn't buy a face plate 'system,' I did buy two face plates from Craft Supplies USA and have been very pleased with each of them. One's a 2" with four screw holes and then the other one is an 8" with all kinds of strategically placed holes (I didn't count them) but very versitile for what I do (bowls/platters).

I did have, at one time, an aluminum face plate and hated the thing, got it stuck a few times to the spindle and what a mess. Nope, I'd steer clear of aluminum period, no such trouble with steel face plates at all.

Best to you,

Jude

David Walser
05-28-2009, 2:17 PM
Mike,

I just remembered another possible option: If you have a chuck, some of the manufacturers make "faceplate rings" for their chucks. Screw the ring to the work and then you can quickly take it on and off the lathe by using your chuck. Buy several rings and you have the flexibility of several faceplates.

Here's a link to the offering from Vicmark: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Chucks___Vicmarc___Vicmarc_Faceplate_Ring___vicmar c_rings?Args=

Chip Sutherland
05-28-2009, 2:59 PM
I got this source from a posting on WC.

http://www.wbnoble.com/

I'm told the only ones to really get are the drilled, faced, thread-reliefed ones. So they will be true to the face and will be well seated on the spindle which doesn't have thread all the way down.

Wally Dickerman
05-28-2009, 5:06 PM
If you want the best faceplates, buy Oneway. Heavy steel, lots of screw holes, and have grub screws for locking to the spindle. A bit pricey but you'll have the best.

Craft S. and Packard stock them.

Wally

Glenn Weathington
05-28-2009, 7:48 PM
I recently purchased a 2" and a 3" faceplate from Penn State Industries. They are of Chinese origin but are machined steel. They both run true and were very inexpensive.

Jeff Nicol
05-28-2009, 9:26 PM
I have my Dad make mine on his metal lathes so I think you could find a local machine shop and see what they would charge to make you a couple. The post with the big flat washers with the nuts welded on will work and you might get some one to make some like that for pretty cheap.

Jeff

Mike Spanbauer
05-28-2009, 9:42 PM
Thanks all. I'll Do a bit of digging at the suggest links. Jeff, you gave me an idea to look into Enco as well... I don't know if they have something like this or not... but, hey it's worth a shot :)

mike

Don Orr
05-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Gotta go with Wally on this one-Oneway is easliy the best there is. Strong, balanced, lots of screw holes.

The one that came with my Jet 1642 is a reasonable second place in my opinion. Search their site for accessories.

Paul Atkins
05-30-2009, 4:01 PM
What lathe and spindle size? What diameter are you looking for?

Mike Spanbauer
05-30-2009, 9:42 PM
Hi Paul, 1 1/4" x 8tpi.

sizes - range from 3-8 (I have just 1 plate for my lathe atm and can't use any from my former lathe - pm90).

Craig Powers
05-30-2009, 11:44 PM
I have my Dad make mine on his metal lathes so I think you could find a local machine shop and see what they would charge to make you a couple. The post with the big flat washers with the nuts welded on will work and you might get some one to make some like that for pretty cheap.

Jeff

This is a good idea. Faceplates from a local supplier have worked well for me.