PDA

View Full Version : Murphy Bed Side Cabinets - Leaded Glass Doors

Gene E Miller
05-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Greetings & Salutations,

For those of you that followed my thread on building my Murphy Bed you will remember that I had a couple of very old leaded glass doors that I wanted to use in the side cabinets.

However the doors were too big to use as doubles and too small to use as singles for the 24" wide cabinet that I intended to build.

Several people offered suggestions and solutions that I gave a lot of consideration to that would resolve the problem.

What I finally did was frame the old doors with a 1 1/2" mitered picture frame that would expand the length and width of the doors and still keep the original proportions.

The doors were made of oak and I had a piece of 4/4 oak from a previous project that was perfect for what I wanted to do.

I milled the oak down to about .010 proud of the door thickness and cut it to width then mitered all of the ends to wrap the door.

To attach the frame I used #0 biscuits putting 2 on each rail and stile. I thought of putting a biscuit on the mitered ends but after a trial run on some scrap even using the smaller biscuit it was just too close to chance blowing out on the end of the miter.

Here I have the mitered frame dry fitted on the door.

119373 119374

After doing the dry fit and making sure everything was square I applied glue and using a band clamp and a couple of other clamps to apply moderate pressure (I sure didn't want to break the leaded glass) I glued up each door.

119375 119376

I took the doors out of the clamps this morning and they look pretty good if I do say so myself.

Today I am going to run them thru the drum sander and get them the same thickness and flat. After that I can then begin to assemble the cabinet and attach the face frame now that I know the final size of the doors.

John Keeton
05-28-2009, 1:04 PM
Gene, looks like it will work!! From the pics it appears there is a slight reveal from the inside frame around the panel vs. the outside mitered frame - am I right? If so, I think that will help with the appearance.

Gene E Miller
05-28-2009, 2:48 PM
Gene, looks like it will work!! From the pics it appears there is a slight reveal from the inside frame around the panel vs. the outside mitered frame - am I right? If so, I think that will help with the appearance.

Hi John,

The first pics were with the frame pieces that I had left about .010 proud but here is a pic that is after they have been glued up and sanded flush. I think that with the blend of the wood I does not make the door look too bad.

I made a temporary face frame out of MDF to see how it looks and I think it is going to be OK. I just tacked the MDF face frame on the cabinet and then laid the door in position to see how it works. I think I will need to put a profile on the outer edge of the door and will put some flutes in the face of the face frame and it should turn out OK.

119399 119400

Since this is my first attempt at something like this I wanted to stay with the doors as an overlay but it might of been better if I had made them inset but I not at that skill level yet. :D

Chris Padilla
05-28-2009, 3:04 PM
I think they look fabby...you did a nice job!

John Keeton
05-28-2009, 3:19 PM
I agree with Chris. After seeing the mock up on the face frames, I think the proportions are good. The face frame for the lower portion will be the same width as the upper, correct?

GERALD HARGROVE
05-28-2009, 4:13 PM
looks great. Nice way to salvage the doors.

Gene E Miller
05-28-2009, 4:41 PM
I agree with Chris. After seeing the mock up on the face frames, I think the proportions are good. The face frame for the lower portion will be the same width as the upper, correct?

Right John. I am also altering the design a little to only put a face frame on the upper part that has the door on it. The upper and lower rail will be the same width.

In the lower part of the cabinet there will be an open shelf that is 10" in height then a slide out tray and below that 3 full width drawers. Once all of the false fronts are on the drawers they will be complimentary to the upper door and face frame.

John Thompson
05-28-2009, 4:54 PM
Exeellent job.. ship shape from stem to stern and besides all that... just looks good. :)

Nice job...

Sarge..

Jim Kountz
05-28-2009, 5:13 PM
Looks good from here!!