PDA

View Full Version : What To Do?

Rob Cunningham
05-28-2009, 9:34 AM
I stopped to look a a used lathe on the way home from work the other day. I bought the lathe and will pick it up on Saturday. ( an upcoming gloat)
The man said he also had a bowl lathe. It's an older Vega bowl lathe that he is selling for a very, very, very attractive price. I told him I wasn't interested, I don't for see turning anything larger than 12", the swing on the lathe I bought. Since Tuesday I have been going back and forth on whether or not to also get the Vega (if it's still available). It's a once in a lifetime deal, but I'm not sure I would really use it, and then it would just be taking up valuable floor space. I know no one can tell me what to do but I'm looking for some opinions on what you would do. Thanks for any insight.

Steve Schlumpf
05-28-2009, 9:38 AM
Rob - it's not called the vortex for nothing! As your experience grows so does your list of things you want to turn. If the lathe is a good deal - it may well be worth considering. Most of us start off with a 12" lathe and within a year or so end up getting bigger lathes. Just food for thought!

Bernie Weishapl
05-28-2009, 9:51 AM
I have to agree with Steve. I thought when I bought my first lathe that oh heck 12" is plenty big. A year later I upgraded. Now doing bowls and platters 16" to 18". Just some food for thought.

David Christopher
05-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Rob, talk to tony greenway..he has one of these lathes and can give more insight on it that I can....but I think soon after you start turning you will want to do something bigger than 12 inches......I have a 16" lathe and thought it would be big enough ( and is most of the time ) but there is still the ocassion that something bigger has to be cut down....just something to think about

Judy Kingery
05-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Rob,

If the price is right, and it was me, I'd go for it. I'd concur that it's nice having a big bowl lathe, but then I do bowls and platters, as well as my little lathe. I enjoy both and it's nice to have that kind of versatility; although I can also relate to having limited shop space so we had to plan pretty carefully where to anchor our big lathe - no regrets on getting the big green machine at all. Let us know!

Jude

Dave Schell
05-28-2009, 11:31 AM
I would go for it too. If it's really that great of a deal, if you don't like it, it sounds like you could just sell it for what it's really worth and make a tidy profit. Good luck in your decision.

Rick Gifford
05-28-2009, 11:46 AM
I would buy it and if it doesnt work out for you make a good deal to another turner. I dont see where you could lose out on that angle.

Reed Gray
05-28-2009, 12:28 PM
My first lathe would turn 12 inches over the bed. I was selling and people kept wanting bowls a little bigger. When I upgraded to my PM, it paid for itself about 3 times the first year I had it, which means it paid for all the 'extra' things I needed.
robo hippy

Rick Prosser
05-28-2009, 12:36 PM
I agree with Rick (Gifford) and Dave.

Mauricio Ulloa
05-28-2009, 12:51 PM
I always argue with my wife that for her there are never enough shoes... for me, there are never enough tools!

Remember: The one who dies with more tools wins!!!!!!!

These opportunities don't happen every day!!!!!

Good luck and hope to here about the latest news soon!

CW McClellan
05-28-2009, 1:12 PM
When a sweet deal comes by and you haft to think hard on it --Go for it --its easier to have wife to kick ya in tail now :othan looking back at what a sweet deal you passed by and then trying to kick ya own tail :rolleyes:--then ya fall on ya own arse :eek:
YOU CAN ALWAYS SELL IT LATER ;)
Hey man sail in the vortex with the rest of us -you only have so long to enjoy this life -- WELCOME ABOARD:D

alex carey
05-28-2009, 1:22 PM
Go ahead and take the plunge. Chances are you will want to go bigger in a few weeks.

John Fricke
05-28-2009, 3:59 PM
There is more to consider than just the swing capability. It is so much more enjoyable turning a 10" bowl on my 20" PM than it was on my 12" Rockwell. More power, more mass, and the VS all make for a more enjoyable turning experience. If you can afford the $$$ and the space you will likely never regret having both lathes. Often a piece that may start out to big for the 12" will fit by the time you get it balanced and turned. Than you can use it for sanding and finishing.

Jim Kountz
05-28-2009, 5:29 PM
Oh by all means get both of them!! I would if I could. A dedicated bowl lathe would be fantastic. You could do all your smaller turning on the 12" and the larger bowls on the Vega. And believe me, you will want to do larger................and larger.................and larger.............It never ends!!

Dick Sowa
05-28-2009, 5:37 PM
I agree with the others. If you can afford it, buy it now. If you don't, years down the road you will kick yourself for not taking advantage of this opportunity when it came along.

Tony Greenway
05-28-2009, 5:53 PM
Rob, having more than one is always good if you have the extra space and money. I have a Jet mini along with my Vega bowl lathe and use them both all the time. When I first got into turning, if someone would have told me to go ahead and buy two different sized lathes, I probably would've laughed at the notion, but not anymore. If you can get the Vega for a really good price, I say go for it. You'll be glad you did down the road.

Marc Himes
05-28-2009, 7:40 PM
Rob, If it is being offered at a very very very attractive price, do yourself a very very very big favor and buy it. They keep well.

Are you really asking a bunch of wood turners if you should get a bigger lathe for cheap? Yah Mon! Do it. You will be so happy you did.

Marc Himes

Mark Norman
05-28-2009, 9:52 PM
Well duhhh...

Sounds like a no-brainer ta me....

Rob Cunningham
05-29-2009, 10:29 AM
OK, I've read all the advice and called to tell the seller that I want the Vega also. I will pick up both lathes tomorrow afternoon. I don't know why it was such a hard decision to make. Thanks for all the input and words of wisdom.
A gloat with pictures to be coming soon.:)

jason lambert
05-29-2009, 11:41 AM
If you have the room and cash why not. Worst case you don't use it (unlikely) and you sell it in a year or two for a profit or at least what you paid for it if it is that good of a deal.

Mark Norman
05-29-2009, 10:49 PM
I will pick up both lathes tomorrow afternoon.:)
Good decision!

I don't think you will regret it at all.